GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes, in Ontario, the generous electric car rebate program, funded by the carbon tax program, is over and done with. Ontario has one third of the population of Canada so the net effect is that 1/3 of Canada will likely shy away from electric cars.

As a Volt owner of over 6 years, I have noticed a lot of electric cars around now compared to 6 years ago when I was an early adopter. Electric cars no longer turn heads for example and I can’t go very far without seeing another electric vehicle. Unfortunately, that will come to a screeching halt now and new electric cars will be few and far between. Only the very dedicated and wealthy will purchase. The electric advantage will all but be wiped out over ICE vehicles now that the $14,000 incentive no longer applies.

My volt is 6 years old now and I fear one day I will need to replace it. I will likely go ICE and very reluctantly at that. The worst of it is, the governing body over this has $1 Billion collected from the carbon tax program that is legally required to only be spent on green energy or energy reduction. No one knows what will be done with that except maybe trying to illegally reduce the cost of beer.

Ontario is supposed to see reduced gas prices at the pump of 10 cents per litre as part of the abandonment of the carbon tax but there really is no way to tell as the market and oil company profits and constantly changing pump prices will completely obscure it if it even happens.

Ontario is putting 1/3 of Canada’s population into moving backwards on green energy with no future plan for any new programs. I wonder how long it is going to take other provinces and also US states to start doing the same thing and then I wonder when manufacturers start reducing the premium on electric vehicles? Until that happens, I will remain a 2013 volt owner as long as I can and I am certain most other EV owners are in the same boat seeing that many of them are in Ontario.

Only time will tell!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
The carbon tax is gone in Ontario, not that anyone has really noticed the difference (other than us missing the rebates) but now that the federal government is talking about it nation wide I'm hoping that rebates return soon. I have the 14 Volt but I'd like to park a 19 with ACC beside it. I'd look at a Bolt but with no ACC it's not in the cards.

·
Registered
56 Posts
you Say Ontario.. but you should be saying Ford.. NOT the motor company, but the Doug.. My dealer said he refunded 27 peoples deposits for Volts.. We where one of them.. I bought the demo.. only one I could get.. They said they would no longer be stocking EV's as their protest to the short sightedness of our new government. it's a true shame. You want a revolution you need a plan you will stick with. I think Ontario will pay for breaking the signed agreements of the previous government.. we will loose the rebate now and will pay the fine for braking the contract Ontario signed latter.. loose loose.... Oh ya and no more drive clean! He's making Ontario great again..

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
you Say Ontario.. but you should be saying Ford.. NOT the motor company, but the Doug.. My dealer said he refunded 27 peoples deposits for Volts.. We where one of them.. I bought the demo.. only one I could get.. They said they would no longer be stocking EV's as their protest to the short sightedness of our new government. it's a true shame. You want a revolution you need a plan you will stick with. I think Ontario will pay for breaking the signed agreements of the previous government.. we will loose the rebate now and will pay the fine for braking the contract Ontario signed latter.. loose loose.... Oh ya and no more drive clean! He's making Ontario great again..
Yep, agree 100%, the man is an idiot.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Look on the bright side.... at least beer is a natural product!!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Whenever rebates and/or credits end, there's always a gap until things recover. In this case, mfrs will continue to drive down the cost of an affordable EV, that makes it a viable choice compared to an ICE. The idea of rebates and/or credits is to speed up the market process, while EVs are new and the initial cost is high.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whenever rebates and/or credits end, there's always a gap until things recover. In this case, mfrs will continue to drive down the cost of an affordable EV, that makes it a viable choice compared to an ICE. The idea of rebates and/or credits is to speed up the market process, while EVs are new and the initial cost is high.
Except the majority of the market place is still offering an incentive. As long as that is in play the manufacturers will not be reducing prices very quickly. It will take years I believe.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Except the majority of the market place is still offering an incentive. As long as that is in play the manufacturers will not be reducing prices very quickly. It will take years I believe.
Yeah as long as a large market right next door is offering a tax incentive they won't be lowering prices for the tiny Canadian market. Not many people are buying electric cars here now and NO dealers around here are even stocking them. Fingers crossed for a rebate under a federal carbon tax.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Personally I plan to keep my 2012 Volt until it costs too much to repair. When that happens I will do whatever it takes to get another EV. I am saving $40 weekly in gas, which is about $175 monthly. $175 / month equates to about $9000 on a 5 year car loan term. So basically, for me buying a Volt amounts to a $9000 discount, or another way of looking at it is to say that whatever the monthly is, I can deduct $175 from it right off the top.

Of course if I keep it longer I go right on saving.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If the Volt is working well then why would you even think of buying an ice? Even if your battery range has degraded a payed for Volt still gets good MPG. What ICE are you think would be better than 5.5L/100 kms and drive better than a Volt? Then you have to make payments on top of gas. I wouldn't be caught dead in a new Civic/Coralla/Sentra.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Only BC ($5,000 and $6,000 trade in if you can find a dealer that has a Scrap-It issued to them) and Quebec ($8,000) have rebates. Ontario was pretty spoiled with their $14,000, but yeah, over short term going to put a dent into new purchases.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts