GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. According to this URL:
http://www.chevy-volt.net/chevrolet-volt-specs.htm
the Volt has a torsion beam semi-independent rear suspension, and drum brakes at the rear! If it doesn't have full independent rear suspension, does that mean it won't ride/handle very well? I hope they're not compromising the driving experience too much, though I understand that cost is a big issue...

·
Registered
200 Posts
The page you linked to has the original concept info. It still says the range-extender will be a 3-cyl, for example. I'm guessing they used Cobalt bits to cobble the concept together, and most Cobalts have that torsion beam/drum brake rear setup.

With regenerative braking, they could probably get away with drums on the rear without any actual performance impact, but I'm guessing they'll do all-disc because this is to be a high-tech product. Hopefully they'll do IRS in the rear, but they're cost-conscious on this one, and the Prius crowd aren't known for their high-performance driving antics, so it's a tough call.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The driving experience I'm looking for in the Volt is driving by a gas station sign that says $7 / gallon with a big old grin on my face.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
It will be built on the Delta 2 platform and it will most likely have IRS. Don't know about the drum brakes either, but I suspect they will be disc. It is being designed in Asia, Europe and North America for use on vehicles all around the world. In other markes such as Europe, IRS is standard and old news. I don't think they could be successful world wide with torsion bars and a beam.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts