GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course, I don't mean there was no ice, as in frozen water, but my Volt's internal combustion engine never came on this winter due to cold weather!

This morning I was watching the forecast on TV before heading off to work, and the local Philadelphia forecaster said that this would be the coldest morning until next winter, with current temps in the mid-20's in south Jersey. I was actually hoping that I would finally experience Volt cold-weather ICE start, but my car read 32 degrees when I started off for work. Perhaps the black color, the sunlight, and pre-conditioning increased my Volt's temps?

One of the criticisms that I heard in the years before I got my Volt, from a friend who is an engineer, was that the batteries would never work in the winter. Well, the Volt's batteries work just fine, and with this warm winter in the Northeast, I suspect that many Volt owners never had to engage the ICE at all. Has anyone else in the northeast gone all winter without a cold-temp ICE start?

There have been some cold days where put the climate on "Comfort" and 80 degrees, and my electric range has dropped to 25 miles. On these occasions, of course, my ICE has come on when the battery was depleted. But I still have only had to fill up once this winter, in February. Before that it was October.

I totally agree with other threads complaining that the Volt ads talk about filling up 'once a month'. I suppose GM wants to under-promise and over-deliver. But when I tell my friends that after one year I have only put gas in my Volt in May, October and February, they are speechless.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I have only used about 0.2 gallon of gas in the last two months! I had to endure the dreaded two minute "Engine starting for maintenance" mode twice in that time. I am up to over 316 MPG lifetime now.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Even with our super-mild winter here in Minnesota, I've had to use about a gallon due to temps below 26F in the last month. Which is a little irritating because I park in a heated garage. So I know at least half the time, it wasn't necessary. But that's still awesome compared to any other car with a gas tank.

·
Registered
506 Posts
@dwl
"Super-mild winter here in Minnesota" is maybe a once in a lifetime statement for your area. Been there many of times and in the winter your glass skyways (walkways) are a savior. We usually stay on 7th Ave (at Embassy Suites) within easy walking distance to the Metrodome (aka: The Dump!). Really love the city and restaurants but those winters... whew! Not Volt friendly at all except this year as u mentioned.

Looking forward to my next Minny visit and one of my fav steakhouses; Fogo de Chao. Oh and in three years I hear the dump will be gone for a new spacious dome (about friggn time!) and I'm sure your glad it didn't add any additional taxes to Minny soda inns :)

Bleeding Purple from NY
-Speed

·
Registered
962 Posts
Fogo is one of my favorites. :) Last time I ate about 6 lbs of meat. Yes, I did weigh myself before and after. The skyway is fantastic, too. Once you figure out how to navigate it. (you can get REALLY turned around if you're not familiar with it. I've spent plenty of time backtracking up there) Next time you're in the area, let me know. I can show you some fantastic smaller restaurants.

And the way I look at it, sports teams can have whatever they want as long as I'm not buying it for them. :) I pay for tickets and overpriced food/beer. That should be enough.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Of course, I don't mean there was no ice, as in frozen water, but my Volt's internal combustion engine never came on this winter due to cold weather!
hehe Me too but that is my norm, on the flip side last summer a regular blip on the charger was evident conditioning the battery in the heat.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Room_A113, I had to laugh at the comment by your friend and the batteries not working in winter. Here in the Great White North we had no problems. -20c days for a good chunk of January and the car worked flawlessly.

Unlike you, however, we had the ICE turn on. Not like we had a choice with the aforementioned weather. At least it'll be 10c tomorrow! Woo hoo! Spring may be here!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi im in Maine and the winter has been mild but we have had cold days (20 and colder). The car is parked outside and many times the ICE starts up and runs for a short while. One thing Im curious is for others in cold climates, has the estimated number of EV miles it can run reduced for you over the winter? Ours now after a full charge estimates 28 miles on EV. Im hoping with warm weather it goes back up to 35.

~ Phil

·
Registered
962 Posts
The range estimate is based on your last 150 miles driven. If you're getting a 28 mile estimate, that means for the last 150 miles, that has been your average on a full charge. It will go up as you start driving more effectively and use lower powered climate settings.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Seems like you did use the ICE.. just that you avoided the ERDTLT.

We'll I have many ERDTLT that I find annoying and starts because of range, but still on my gas from october (hopefully will make 3000 miles this tank)! I love the look on people faces when I say I last filled up before Halloween and have gone XXXX miles since then charging on wind power with my overall fuel costs about .028/mile.

That makes them think its and it funny when they come back with something like my hybrid gets 30mpg (or 45 from Prius owners) but that works out to 11 (or 7) cents. Some say I must be doing something wrong (so I go through the numbers), other just launch into if I actually like it. Many do ask how the battery works in the winter, then I remind them we are talking about my costs in winter!

·
Registered
38 Posts
It has been in the 60s the last two days here in Madison, Wisconsin. This morning I made it in to work using 1.9 kWh instead of the usual 2.9 kWh. I had the heat/fan totally off and just relied on the seat heater for about half the trip. The bummer about getting the Volt in January is that I have yet to really experience what the car can do. I hated getting the ERDTLT.

I can see why over time, everyone likes/loves their Volt even more.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I promise it will. I'm assuming you have your climate settings on comfort and spend a lot of time on the freeway. Take some side streets and give eco a try. That'll get your range estimates to climb right now. I personally keep the cimate control off unless it falls below 26F. I know that's not for everyone. But it doesn't bother me personally.

I don't like the range estimator any way. It's not accurate enough for me. Since it shows an average rather than what I'm doing at that moment. I prefer to watch the 'kWh usage since last full charge' counter. If you consider every 0.1kWh as 1% capacity, you'll be pretty close. So, like, if you've used 2kWh and have driven about 7 miles, you know you're on track to get about 35 miles from your charge. If you need to go only 30 miles, you can feel comfortable speeding up a little bit. Or if you have to go 38 miles, you might consider driving a little more carefully or turning your fan speed down.

Not everyone likes to pay attention to things like that. They'd rather just get in and go. But I prefer it and like that it's an option.

·
Registered
303 Posts
That's strange that in NJ your ICE didn't come on because of cold weather at all this winter, but here in South Carolina, mine did...just once though. It was 24 degrees one morning when I was driving to work and I heard the ICE turn on. I had read that it will do that, so I was actually glad to know it worked as expected.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that if you aren't able to do your whole commute on battery power alone, you should be actively turning the ICE in cold weather for a few minutes at the START of your trip using the Hold setting. You will use up a lot of EV range running the electric heat, and the battery pack also requires heat to stay at optimum temp regardless of whether you heat the cabin or not. So either you pull that energy out of the battery pack and shorten your range. Or you run the ICE for just a few minutes and that both extends your range AND you gives you a significant reservoir of free heat for both you and the battery pack.

I have an ELR not a Volt, but I find I can do about 45 EV miles with the heat/ac completely off, but more like 35 miles if I have to run the electric heat constantly, like on cold wet days where you need to keep the defroster going. 10 miles of running on the gas engine at the end of the trip uses more gas than running the engine just enough to get it hot at the start of your trip. Doing this preheat takes something like 0.08 gallons of gas if you can do it at highway speed. And it also means you can have a comfortably warm cabin, so you are both using less gas and being more comfortable in the bargain. The ICE is small and so it heats up fast and creates a LOT of free heat when it runs even for a very short period of time.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that if you aren't able to do your whole commute on battery power alone, you should be actively turning the ICE in cold weather for a few minutes at the START of your trip using the Hold setting.
This is something I've been experimenting with as well and I agree.

I've only had my 2013 Volt for about a month now but I have a 38 mile commute (76mi round trip) and we've had some COLD days in the Shenandoah Valley. A little experimentation on my part seems to indicate that on cold days (defined in this case as below 40 degrees, but not cold enough to trigger ERDTT) pre-conditioning while plugged in, combined with running the ICE in "hold" mode for the first two miles of travel, will get me to work in comfort with about 1 mile left on the guess-o-meter. Under the same conditions of pre-conditioning and so forth but NOT running the ICE for the first two miles I run out of juice with about 4 miles to go.

I then charge up again at work (where one of the perks is free charging) and have similar results returning home.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the drive is like when it isn't cold and dark anymore. I imagine I'll get significantly more range when it's warmer I don't have to use my defoggers, headlights, occasional wipers, and so forth <grin>.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts