GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I leave for work and the temperature outside is in the 50s, the climate control dial is set for 72degrees. Auto-fan and Auto-internal/external air is selected as well as ECO.

For the next 25minutes (my commute) cool/cold air comes out of the vents.

What does it take for the heat to come on? I can't imagine this in December/January.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Heat

I leave for work and the temperature outside is in the 50s, the climate control dial is set for 72degrees. Auto-fan and Auto-internal/external air is selected as well as ECO.

What does it take for the heat to come on? I can't imagine this in December/January.
Use the Max button not the eco button and you will get heat.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
What happens if you set the temp setting to 78F, auto, max?

What is the actual temp of the air coming from the vents? Not what it feels like.

ECO is not a comfort setting. Is is designed to conserve energy at the expense of comfort. There is no free lunch.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
661 Posts
In similar conditions to yours I feel heat within a few minutes. 25minutes seems way too long.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Crank it to HI on MAX and see if you get heat. You should feel hot air within a couple minutes if even that. If not, you need to see your dealer as you may have low coolant somewhere, or the heat exchanger's bad.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I find the same problem, but I also use ECO. I keep playing with the temperature control and never seem to get any heat at all. I just get differing levels of cool air. I'm going to wait until it's a little colder to make a final judgement. But I have to believe when pre-conditioning the car that if it's plugged in I should get some heat before I leave the house.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
There is no free lunch.
I wasn't thinking about a free lunch, but it was a fair assumption that even on ECO you could get some heat, if not enough to thoroughly warm the cabin.

Here's what the manual says about ECO:

eco Mode : Press eco to select this
mode and the indicator will be lit.
The air conditioning and electric
heat are controlled to balance
comfort with fuel economy. As long
as [Defrost] MAX is not selected, the
vehicle electric range or fuel
economy will decrease less than in
MAX mode, but will result in
moderate comfort.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I find the same problem, but I also use ECO. I keep playing with the temperature control and never seem to get any heat at all. I just get differing levels of cool air. I'm going to wait until it's a little colder to make a final judgement. But I have to believe when pre-conditioning the car that if it's plugged in I should get some heat before I leave the house.
If it's like a Gen 1, don't use ECO.

·
Registered
788 Posts
When I set the thermostat at home to 60, my kids complained the house was cold. I said, "wear a sweater."

If you put your Volt heater in eco mode, wear a sweater.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts

If you have auto defogging set to On then the Volt will use AC to manage cabin humidity to prevent fogging of the windshield. AC uses much less power than electric heat so unless the outside temperature is sufficiently cold and the climate control is set to 73 or higher you will probably not feel warm air blowing from the vents.

For the Gen II Volt, Economy mode will generate heat provided the outside temperature is low enough and the climate control temperature control is set high enough to turn on the electric heat.

Preconditioning using the MyChevrolet app, while plugged in, is a good way to warm the cabin using the electric heat. In my experience if the outside temperature is low enough the preconditioning cycle will use the electric heat to warm the cabin to the temperature that you have set even if the HVAC is not set to either Economy or Max and only the blower is running at the lowest setting when you power off the Volt. This differs from the key fob remote start feature that will turn on the HVAC to whatever setting was active before you shut off the Volt.

When the outside temperature goes down below 40F I will set the climate control to 85 or Max before powering off the Volt. I also set the blower to maximum and the cabin air to recirculate. Then I will use the MyChevrolet app or the key fob remote to start the Volt while it is plugged in. The electric heat will warm up the cabin by the end of the 10 minute preconditioning cycle. Also, if you have the electric seats they can be set to automatically come on as needed so the seats will be warmed during the preconditioning cycle. It will take less than 10 minutes to top off the battery using Level 2 charging following the single 10 minute preconditioning cycle. If you run a second 10 minute preconditioning cycle the Volt's interior will be very warm, topping off the battery will take a while longer following 20 minutes total preconditioning.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
When I set the thermostat at home to 60, my kids complained the house was cold. I said, "wear a sweater."

If you put your Volt heater in eco mode, wear a sweater.
I would complain if my house were at 60 too -- even with a sweater :)

ECO mode has nothing to do with the temperature you set the cabin to. This is a thermostatically controlled system, not an on/off. ECO can have an impact on how much heat comes in, or how hot the heat coming in is, but it can't have any impact on the car's "attempt" to heat the cabin. If the car is 50 degrees inside, and the temp is set to 70, even in ECO mode something has to happen other than cold air blowing.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I would complain if my house were at 60 too -- even with a sweater :)

ECO mode has nothing to do with the temperature you set the cabin to. This is a thermostatically controlled system, not an on/off. ECO can have an impact on how much heat comes in, or how hot the heat coming in is, but it can't have any impact on the car's "attempt" to heat the cabin. If the car is 50 degrees inside, and the temp is set to 70, even in ECO mode something has to happen other than cold air blowing.
In my experience the Volt's climate control system will not turn on the electric heat unless the outside temperature is lower than 50F and you set the cabin temperature to a minimum of 73 or 74 degrees. 74F is my normal winter cabin temperature setting.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
In my experience the Volt's climate control system will not turn on the electric heat unless the outside temperature is lower than 50F and you set the cabin temperature to a minimum of 73 or 74 degrees. 74F is my normal winter cabin temperature setting.
The manual claims that the solar sensor may also play into this. It hasn't been too cold yet in MD, and with the sun out that might kill the possibility of any heat. I will experiment more as the temp really drops.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
The manual claims that the solar sensor may also play into this. It hasn't been too cold yet in MD, and with the sun out that might kill the possibility of any heat. I will experiment more as the temp really drops.
I always park inside a garage so my A.M. preconditioning does not include any climate control calibration solar factor.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
ECO mode is VERY conservative with the heat. Usually if I switch over to COMFORT (Gen I), I get heat in about a minute.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2018 and set it to precondition this morning on the app. The heater was definitely on. It was 57 this outside this morning and the internal temp was set to 71

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Fair point. I tried to precondition this morning -- nothing.
What temperature did you have set? Did you use the key or the MyChevrolet app as they don't work the same way when preconditioning.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
When someone posts a problem, especially with heating since the Gen 1 had heat issues and folks many times don't look at whether or not they are posting in the correct forum, it helps to add your model year.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts