GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, it may be coincidental... but I hate coincidences.

On October 31 I had the 5-year, 3-system coolant flush done on my 2012 Volt. All appeared to be functioning fine afterwords, and I have not gotten any error codes at any point.

However, only in the last several weeks has the temperature dropped to the point where I really paid attention to the heat... and right now I am only getting cold air from the vents when running on electrical power, regardless of how long the car has been running.

If the car is running on gas, I get heat from the vents... it's only on electrical where this is a problem.

I have an appointment in the morning for them to look at the car. Me being the eternal cynic, I feel they will claim it is unrelated to the coolent work they did, which it very well might be, but it makes my suspicious bone itch.

Any thoughts or sage words of wisdom?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I sort of had the same problem as you after the 5-year flush and refill my heater quit working on both gas and electric. Turned out the dealer had left the heater core with air in it. I see yours works on gas so obviously your heater core is filled with coolant or you wouldn't get heat. I noticed my amp draw when I turned on electric heat would go up to about 6 amps for a minute or so then shut off. Probably the resistance heat was shutting down due to overheat as there was no coolant present. Once the dealer purged the air from the heater core everything was fine. The dealer said they needed to install a software update to allow them the capability to cycle the electric water pump on manually to remove the air.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Seems there are heater issues after a coolant flush. My '13 had similar heat issues after I did the flush back in October. I took it back in and they diagnosed it with a plugged coolant filter and failed heater coolant control valve. Mine was opposite though with some heat in EV mode (minimal, but present) and nothing in gas mode. I posted about it and it was generally determined that the plugged coolant filter was caused by debris from the flushing procedure.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
These stories are NOT making me look forward to the coolant flush. Then again mine looks so clean I can't see how there could possibly be debris but I know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Good lord, they don't do the flush procedure correctly, by the book,, and then charge you for a bunch of parts you don't need to get it working again,, JUST like it was working before they dikd with it......

Get those coolant test strips. The coolant has an incredibly easy life in these cars.

Be afraid of those guys at the dealership.
They work by the 'Book Time' for services. Get it done quicker than the Book and move on to the next job and see if you can do it again!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Finally got around to getting my coolant systems flushed last month on my 2012. Dealer did a good job, although I paid more than a lot of people here have stated for theirs. I had faith in my dealer doing it right because the service advisor called me back and told me it would cost more than he initially quoted after talking to the Volt tech. Tech explained to him about the vac fill and being hooked up to their computer during the process to open/close all of the valves to avoid any air in system. I'd read here about heater issues after this service and was acutely aware. When I picked up the car, I immediately took it out on the highway and ran the heater on battery and engine with no issues. Had there been any problem, I was prepared to drive it right back to dealer. As I've read about and was expecting, on engine, there was initially a lot of slushing/burping noises coming from the dash - apparently air being bled from engine coolant system. When I got home, engine coolant level had dropped about 1.5 inches. The next day, when everything was cool, I filled the engine coolant back up to the proper level and it's stayed there ever since. My dealer is Bob Howard Chevrolet in Oklahoma City.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
These stories are NOT making me look forward to the coolant flush. Then again mine looks so clean I can't see how there could possibly be debris but I know how it goes.
I agree as mine was clear and orange. In fact, the car has a full service history which is extensive. Everything done at scheduled points which is what surprised me that the filter would clog after the flush. I got lucky with my return visit for the repairs as I had a GMPP that covered everything. If I hadn't, it would have been an additional $375. Unfortunately since then my GMPP has expired due to mileage.

As for the coolant life, I agree that it probably is easier on the coolant than most ICE cars, but mine has a LOT of gas miles. The PO had a daily commute of 170 miles RT which attributed to the high mileage when I bought (93K). According to the onstar stats, about 70K of those miles were gas. Also figured that I didn't want anything that could impact any future warranty repairs, especially since I still have the Voltec warranty until 150K.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dealer has had my car for the last day and a half. They believe they have the problem narrowed down to the auxiliary heater coolant pump (part #13597899). The closest one available is in Chicago, so they will have my car for at least another day.

Not covered under Voltec warranty. Luckily I have an extended warranty, so the most I will be out of pocket will be the $100 deductible.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
The dealer has had my car for the last day and a half. They believe they have the problem narrowed down to the auxiliary heater coolant pump (part #13597899). The closest one available is in Chicago, so they will have my car for at least another day.

Not covered under Voltec warranty. Luckily I have an extended warranty, so the most I will be out of pocket will be the $100 deductible.

GM Heater Coolant Pump 13597899

Smart having the extended warranty as this pump is @$200 w/o labor...

Hope your replacement part is indeed a 'fresh' one. Picture of one I posted is stamped with manufactured time/date of 29Apr15.
The replacement you get from GM could be even more recently made!;)

·
Registered
846 Posts
I had no heat unless the ICE was on, the Aux heater pump was just replaced today $600, I also have an extended warrant that covered it with $100 deductible. So todays outside temp hit 82 degrees.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts