GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share my experience and see if anyone had any suggestions or a similar situation. About three weeks ago I took my 2013 Chevy Volt with 120K miles in for service as the heat was not working in electric mode. The service writer called and advised later that evening that it was a radiator leak. I thought it best to get a second opinion and opted to only the diagnostic fee and take the car home.

On my way home, with about 2 miles left to get home, I depleted my charge and the ICE came on. Slightly thereafter I received an engine overheating warning and after pulling into my garage I noticed that there was coolant leaking. Mind you, I had never noticed coolant leaking from the car nor had it ever overheated prior to taking it to the dealer. Moreover, I use the ICE on weekly basis and park at the same spot at work, so I found it odd to not have noticed a leak.

With limited options at that point, I returned the car to the dealer and had radiator replaced, which they assured me would resolve the no heat issue. Once that work was complete however, they called and advised that the heat was still not working, and they needed both keys in order to program the body control module. They stated it may not have been completely programmed during prior work?

Fast forward to today, the heat is now working, however the car now displays Service Brake Assist and Service StabiliTrak messages. The service writer also tells me the brake takes a great deal or pressure for the car to stop. The dealer has tried reprogramming the EBCM without success and as of this morning weren’t confident on what would solve the issue.

With all of that said, I know we have a ton of Chevy Volt experts and enthusiasts on this forum. Could anyone please provide some suggestions? I’m worried the dealer will go on a fishing expedition to fix this problem. I’m also frustrated and feel like they make have caused the brake issue – as I had no brake issues prior to this or in the car’s history — I took the car in with a heat issue!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Find another dealer ASAP. Since you no longer trust them it's time to switch dealerships for service. My guess is they didn't properly resecure a brake line after replacing the radiator.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yeah, the brake issue certainly appears to be related to the dealer visit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sounds like a lot of programming for a non software related issue. Now we don't know if they introduced a new problem. Jumping to reprograming is not the right solution. If it were my car I would want more details on what their line of thinking is.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
You didn't say where you are, what tires you have and what the weather's like.

My wife has had the Service Brake Assist and Service StabiliTrak message twice in our 2013 Volt.

In both cases my wife had those errors, the roads were slick. Since there's no power braking or traction control when that message appears it's pretty scary and the first time it happened my wife was approaching a traffic light that was fortunately green.

The second time she knew immediately how to handle it and drove it home.

First time was resolved when it was checked out at the dealer and they cleared the error having found a rusted ground and hoped that was it.
Second time I just went for a short, very careful, drive around the block,and then on the next restart it cleared.

It seems that poor traction can freak out the computers to the point that it just gives up and turns off the power braking and traction control. Before spending money on it, I'd want to know more.

·
Registered
283 Posts
They probably cleared all the adaptives, and need to run a brake system recalibration. This allows the abs system to calibrate the pressure sensors and also the pedal travel sensor. if this calibration isn't performed the power assist won't work.

Found this out after messing around with my volt and the shop scan tool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts