GM Volt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ok my phone/app is freaking out tonight.

I am attempting to reply to Turboguys question.

I will need to check when I get home. I did not note the KW draw on the system. I just didn’t think to do that.

Will post my findings

Thanks and cheers

·
Registered
65 Posts
And what happens to the kwh draw after it’s been sitting for awhile? Goes to 0 I’m guessing?
I posted the incorrect pics earlier, sorry. I’ll check that when I get back to the car. If it drops to 0 like you suggest, does that point to one of the four items listed earlier in the thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
As OP on this thread, I think you are on the right course, to let the dealer address it under warranty. That will put a "stake in the ground" that you had this problem on this date. Thereafter, it's up to the dealer and GM to fix, as long as the repair remains under warranty. I hope your dealer is more savvy than mine. If the dealer is unresponsive or wants $$$, then check back.
Thanks, I hope it will be covered by our extended warranty. The service advisor owns a 2014 Volt and seemed to be aware of this issue. Fingers crossed. So far, we do like the car, I just hope this isn’t an indicator to additional problems.

·
Registered
65 Posts
And what happens to the kwh draw after it’s been sitting for awhile? Goes to 0 I’m guessing?
Just got home so I can more accurately answer your question.

I got into the car, hit the power button and armed with the camera, took the following sequential pictures.

After I hit the “ON” button

Start-up

—————
Climate set to auto

—————
Initial KW ramp-up draw

Climate control temp set to “HI”

—————
The KW drop-off

AC icon would switch to Off/On/Off over the course of a few minutes. Only cold air would be pushed through the vents.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
The 6kW suggests it is calling for comfort heat correctly

But it seems to dial it back to off far too quickly (only 1-2 mins?).

The 2kW would be in line with the AC running (for defog purposes, that's why it is cycling on/off)

·
Registered
65 Posts

The 2kW would be in line with the AC running (for defog purposes, that's why it is cycling on/off)
Thanks,
I dropped it off at a dealer for investigation. I explained everything to the service advisor and it kinda felt like I was waisting his time. I also asked a couple of other items to get addressed and it too felt like the big “blowoff”. We will see what they find and if I ever return again for service.

My wife and I discussed the huge differences between the Chevy lack of service or interest compared to the experiences at the local Honda dealer we utilize for her CRV, amazing differences all around. Even sitting in the back area where the lounge is located, the language being used by the salespersons was interesting to say the least. “Lack of class” comes to mind.... I know I must sound like a prude by mentioning this and I too have dropped language bombs time to time. I only ended up here because my dad has used them for work these past 15 or so years. I usually wrench on my own truck and never take it to the dealer. The Volt is a whole different animal and I think the only stuff I can do is oil and brakes. Wow! Talk about a tangent.....sorry about the “squirrel moment”.

Back on track. While driving to the dealer, I used OnStar for the first time and requested for “an on-demand diagnostics” run on the car. I did this to see if there were any error codes, which there were none. I honestly wasn’t too surprised to hear this from what I have read. I was kinda cool to use the service. When I pulled into the service bay and shut the car down, I did get a message that I have never seen before as well as hearing an audible “click” type sound from the right side of the center console.

Here is the message and it literally was only visible for about two seconds at best.

Anyone see this before in addition to the “no heat”?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Here is the message and it literally was only visible for about two seconds at best.

Anyone see this before in addition to the “no heat”?

Cheers
That message is normal if you have the Climate Control display up and turn off the car, or if you try to operate the climate controls while the head unit is powered up with the car off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That message is normal if you have the Climate Control display up and turn off the car, or if you try to operate the climate controls while the head unit is powered up with the car off.
Thanks TSquare!

The Service Adviser was unsure about that screen and he says he has had a “14” since new. So with that nugget of info, I thought it indicated another issue with the climate control. I just do not recall ever seeing the screen blank out with only that message and I’ve had just the Climate Control screen up when powering down the car before. Guess that shows that there are things to learn every day.

I’m sure the tech will note that in the order and think in an idiot for bringing it up.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

You need a auxiliary water pump for the heater circuit. If you have extended warranty it should cover it, if not and you can use a screwdriver, you can DIY. Dealerships charge over $600 to replace the pump and usually a couple hours labor even though it took me about a half hour to replace outside in the snow.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You need a auxiliary water pump for the heater circuit. If you have extended warranty it should cover it, if not and you can use a screwdriver, you can DIY. Dealerships charge over $600 to replace the pump and usually a couple hours labor even though it took me about a half hour to replace outside in the snow.
Thanks,
I don’t have an issue working a screwdriver for a repair like this. However, got it covered under the extended warranty and you were spot on with the associated costs.

What are the chances this will be an issue, again?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Thanks,
I don’t have an issue working a screwdriver for a repair like this. However, got it covered under the extended warranty and you were spot on with the associated costs.

What are the chances this will be an issue, again?

Cheers

GM changed parts supplies for late 2012-2013 cars. So late 2013+ got a updated part and all new parts are updated so they last longer. I replaced mine with a used one from a 2015 and had no problems but didn’t have it long after that.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
So I've got the same no heat in EV mode issue in my 2015 which is just out of warranty.
Any videos available on replacing the pump / valve?

No video is really needed. It’s incredibly simple. Pull the wheel, the liner and a couple clamps and the mounting bolts. Get the correct coolant or pinch the line from the tank off. If you let it get empty there won’t be any concern. Just fill it back up when you’re done.

You still need to verify if it’s the pump or K10 module.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So I took it to the dealer as my diagnosis seemed to indicate the heater module itself.
They replaced that, part 22851153, under the voltec warranty.
First they tried a software update and that didn't resolve it.
So they replaced the heater core.
But they were still getting weak heat in EV mode, which I pretty much always had.
They checked for blockage in the three way valve and found none.
So they replaced the heater pump, part 13597899, as well but not under warranty.
For that I paid about $450, pump was $297.46, labor $150.

Heater works now, maybe better than it ever did. We'll see how it works once winter comes. It used to take quite a while to warm up on cold days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I took it to the dealer as my diagnosis seemed to indicate the heater module itself.
They replaced that, part 22851153, under the voltec warranty.
First they tried a software update and that didn't resolve it.
So they replaced the heater core.
But they were still getting weak heat in EV mode, which I pretty much always had.
They checked for blockage in the three way valve and found none.
So they replaced the heater pump, part 13597899, as well but not under warranty.
For that I paid about $450, pump was $297.46, labor $150.

Heater works now, maybe better than it ever did. We'll see how it works once winter comes. It used to take quite a while to warm up on cold days.
Hi, Looks like I am having the same issue and I just gave the car to the dealer... Still waiting for the diagnosis. Want to know if this part is covered under voltec warranty? mine is 2015 Volt with 45K. Out of regular warranty. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Hi, Looks like I am having the same issue and I just gave the car to the dealer... Still waiting for the diagnosis. Want to know if this part is covered under voltec warranty? mine is 2015 Volt with 45K. Out of regular warranty. Thanks.
No, it’s only under B2B. If it’s the pump it will cost around $600, if it’s the K10 module it will be $1100-1400. The pump can be done at home with a very basic tool kit.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I updated the K10 module at home and the difference is incredible. Just one preconditioning event is enough to warm the car. Before the update I would do the two preconditions and the car would still be cold.

Also from cold, now you can feel the warmth after about two minutes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Low power draw for the heat with 100% usually indicates the K10 heater isn't activating. It could be either the heat module itself or the controller. Both should be covered under the Voltec warranty.
Where can I get a full list of the coverage of the Voltec warranty?

41 - 60 of 72 Posts