GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Before my 2014 Volt goes into the dealer on Monday, I wanted to get some troubleshooting help.

When in EV mode, I get a lot of cold air from the vents. I first noticed this yesterday pre-conditioning the car in about 38 deg. F outside temps, and the car was plugged in to L1. On my morning drive today in EV mode, same temperature, same thing, no heat. After reading several forum posts, I did some checking. The normal pump noise in the passenger front fenderwell is there during charging.

When driving, I noticed that the Climate display shows that the heater is energized, and it displays 100% power. However, normally I would also notice a heavy 5 or 6 amp draw during EV mode heating, which today showed only 0.5 amp. This sounds like a contradiction.

I have noticed a clicking noise inside the car, which seems to emit from the right side of the center stack on the dash. It has been clicking for months, before I noticed any heater issue. I can't tell if the clicking is associated with Climate.

My dealer doesn't seem to be too savvy on Volts, so before placing myself at their mercy, I was hoping to gather some information and advice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Low power draw for the heat with 100% usually indicates the K10 heater isn't activating. It could be either the heat module itself or the controller. Both should be covered under the Voltec warranty.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Can be:

1. K10 heat control module
2. Aux. pump
3. 3 way valve
4. Software update

There are bulletins for all those things and ways for the dealer to test. Sounds to me like it would be #1 or #4 or both.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Low power draw for the heat with 100% usually indicates the K10 CHCM isn't activating. It could be either the heat module itself or the controller. Both should be covered under the Voltec warranty.

Good tip!:eek:

BTW: Same symptoms i.e. no additional power draw with heater set to 100% can be duplicated if the K10 5A fuse F37 is blown. I would recommend to check this fuse as well.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Low power draw for the heat with 100% usually indicates the K10 heater isn't activating. It could be either the heat module itself or the controller. Both should be covered under the Voltec warranty.
Negative. Heater problems aren’t covered by voltec according to GM and 3 dealers.

Is there a kwh draw when you first demand heat and it goes down within 5-10 seconds?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Negative. Heater problems aren’t covered by voltec according to GM and 3 dealers.
The coolant heater module is, the coolant pump/valves/etc are not.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Didn't someone just recently post that the coolant pump is covered? I recently had mine in and I can say with 100% certainty that the valves ARE NOT covered. Fortunately my GMPP covered them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same issue with mine, clicking noise was fixed on my 2015 with a software update. Heat issue they claim was a cracked radiator. Never checked the fluid level or seen a leak. It was under warranty so I never asked any questions. Mine also showed no amperage draw on ev mode. Check the coolant level and have them do an update.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
According to GM and their dealers the module isn’t either.
Didn't someone just recently post that the coolant pump is covered? I recently had mine in and I can say with 100% certainty that the valves ARE NOT covered. Fortunately my GMPP covered them.

Just ~11 days ago. Jonalan had one covered. Was outside the B2B warranty period.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...t-issues-any-resolution&p=4306529#post4306529

Contact a volt advisor.
If it's connected to 360V, it's covered. (and the heater is)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Is there a kwh draw when you first demand heat and it goes down within 5-10 seconds?
A. There is no kwh hour draw that goes down. With all settings on high, the draw is 0.5 kwh.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Good tip!:eek:

BTW: Same symptoms i.e. no additional power draw with heater set to 100% can be duplicated if the K10 5A fuse F37 is blown. I would recommend to check this fuse as well.
A. I checked the 5A fuse F37 with meter, it tests good.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just had to replace the coolant heater module on my 2014 with only 38,057 miles (purchased 03/2015). Not covered!
@jgweir, If I may ask, what did it cost to replace the K10 heater control module, and did they remove the intake manifold from the ICE?
I purchased June 2014 and have 31.5k miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My repair ticket doesn't mention those parts. It says Heater Water Auxiliary Pump Replacement. Would have been $650, but I got a discount.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
OP, if the clicking noise is coming from up under the dash, it may be the temperature door actuator not moving the door to the heat position.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
OP, if the clicking noise is coming from up under the dash, it may be the temperature door actuator not moving the door to the heat position.
It looks like we've reasonably determined the heater module is not powering up since the OP is not seeing an increased power draw when heat is called. Normally the power meter on the driver screen will indicate 5-6kW but in this case it sits at .5kW. If the OP is getting heat when the ICE is operating then I suppose we could reasonably assume the temperature door is functioning correctly.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Greetings all, here's an update.

After two days at Bill Stasik Chevrolet in Wheeling, IL, they were unable to find time to even look at my car. Really? I retrieved my car. Frustrated but not deterred. I will pursue the issue further after the new year.

Thanks to all who commented, your input is invaluable. It seems you kind folks are more motivated than my dealer to diagnose the issue. Have a great Thanksgiving!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts