GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,my 2014 Volt has the relatively common no-heat-in-electric-mode issue. I took it to the dealership, and they said they found no fault codes, and they checked by VIN and it does not need a programming update. They told me that they can't figure out the issue, and they need to call a Volt engineer for help. So, I take it home and take a look myself.

I charge the battery to 100% while the car cools down overnight. Next morning, I drive the front end up on ramps, turn the ignition on, crank the heat up to 'HI' and I crawl under the Volt. Sure enough, it is producing heat under the car, but still blowing cold air in the car. This makes me 95% sure the pump is not working. (The coolant line from the electric heater to the pump is hot, but the exit line out of the pump is cold.)

My dealer wants $650+ to replace. A new pump is only about $200.

Question: Who on this forum has actually performed this pump replacement? What steps and extra parts/fluids do I need? I'm assuming I need to drain the engine coolant first, then replace it after the repair?

Anyone have a repair manual for this?

Here is the part number for the pump currently on my Volt: 13579710
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-b-pump-13579710

Which has evidently been discontinued and replaced by part number: 13597899
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-pump-13597899

·
Registered
477 Posts
Are you out of warranties?...I think coud be DIY project, the pump is in the front at the radiators area in the passenger side...do not forget to disconnect the 12v battery negative, to prevent CEL ...Good luck,keep us posted.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Possibly the two-valve instead of the coolant pump.

This could be the pump, but it could also be the two-way valve. This valve changes the coolant loop from {electric heater + pump + cabin heater-core } to {electric heater + pump + Gas engine + heater core}.

I think they've had some trouble with these multi-way valves. The three- way valve in my battery coolant loop got sticky, and eventually three a code ( and prevent battery use) after using the ICE one trip. It was the only warranty work done on my 2014. I think there's a way of re-calibrating these, but my three way got replaced, which seemed like the right resolution to that issue.

WOPONTOUR has a great post on all the different volt cooling loops, it's here

The diagram of just the cabin heating loop, from that thread, is here

if you can monitor your engine coolant temperature ( with a OBD reader and Torque, or EngineLink), you may be able to see the engine coolant warming up when the cabin heat is cranked up. if this valve is working correctly, that shouldn't happen, the electric heat needs to stay in the cabin heater core loop. We already use enough battery to get cabin heat, heating the engine block would be futile.

Maybe you can listen for the pump operation ( mechanics stethoscope, a rubber hose works). And I wonder if the pump rpm is monitored. I know the battery cooling / heating electric coolant pump rpm is monitored - I see the readout of it in EngineLink. But I don't recall seeing cabin heat pump being reported, maybe others can state with certainty if it is or is not.

Lumos

2014 Gen 1

·
Registered
3 Posts
We just bought a 2014 Volt as well. It had the heat issue too, so I found these forums. I wanted to let you know what I did.

In case anyone else with the issue sees this, there were not fault codes. The heater worked well with the gas motor. I could see, in electric mode, the heater kicking on using the energy meter screen and the climate screen. It would come on briefly, then shut off, only coming on occasionally after that. I could feel heat around the passenger tire. I believed I heard the pump running.

I ordered both the valve, located near the master cylinder, as well as the pump, located next to the front passenger tire.

I replaced the valve, which was a little bit fiddly, and that did not work. I then replaced the pump, and that worked. Both ordered on Amazon. Pump was part number 13597899, valve was 22987494. $53 for the valve, $172 for the pump.

I drove the car up on ramps for the pump. I could get it from beneath easily. Though, it looked like someone else had been in there before. The clamps on the coolant lines to the pumps had some marring. I loosened the front portion on the wheel well cover, removed the cover on the pump itself, the plug on the pump, and the two hoses. The clamps were not in the best location for bottom access, so I did rotate those in case I ever need to attend to it again. I also clamped the coolant hoses, to avoid too much loss. Drove it for about 300 miles this weekend, and it also worked well this morning.

·
Registered
65 Posts
In addition to the video link.

I got into the car, hit the power button and armed with the camera, took the following sequential pictures.

After I hit the “ON” button

Start-up

—————
Climate set to auto

—————
Initial KW ramp-up draw

Climate control temp set to “HI”

—————
The KW drop-off

AC icon would switch to Off/On/Off over the course of a few minutes. Only cold air would be pushed through the vents. Power usage shows 100% while the Kw draw is 0.5Kw.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just brought my car to the dealer for the same issue, no heat in ev mode. I also have the 2014 model with about 69,000 miles on it. The part they are replacing is also 13597899. The dealer said it's the auxiliary pump, but the description when I look up online says it's the cooler pump. The dealer says it's going to cost approximately $800 to fix it and since it's winter, I told the to go ahead and replace it so I can use heat in ev mode.

Does anyone know with certainty whether part 13597899, the cooler pump, is covered by the voltec or powertrain warranties? I'm hoping someone can provide me with a quick answer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have also the 2014 model with exact the same problem with the same part that need to be replaced 13597899. And I have been back and forth with GM representative trying to get it covered under voltec warranty since there is a line on the warranty manual says coolant pump and I believe it is the same item. Dealers told me that even though they agree with me it should be under the voltec warranty, the op code for it 4412580 is not been reimbursed by GM so he couldn't do it.
see attached for the warranty booklet

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I have also the 2014 model with exact the same problem with the same part that need to be replaced 13597899. And I have been back and forth with GM representative trying to get it covered under voltec warranty since there is a line on the warranty manual says coolant pump and I believe it is the same item. Dealers told me that even though they agree with me it should be under the voltec warranty, the op code for it 4412580 is not been reimbursed by GM so he couldn't do it.
Hate to say it, because I hope you get warranty coverage, but that list of parts in your picture looks like they are specific to heating or cooling the battery, not the cabin. The cabin heating loop has some similar components, but it is a separate system, and I gather, less likely to be covered by the Voltec warranty (other than just the high voltage heating element). My service technician told me that the cabin heating loop is considered part of the engine cooling system, and as such, mostly not covered. That is not to say his information was correct, but that was my personal experience.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Also, anyone knows what is the difference between the two pumps 13597899 and 13597900? cooler pump and the auxiliary pump,
this is very confusing to me since they can both be called water pump, and 13597899 is also called aux pump sometimes.
Can someone knowledgeable clarify the difference of the two pumps?
https://www.gmpartsonline.net/oem-parts/gm-water-pump-13597899
https://www.gmpartsonline.net/oem-parts/gm-auxiliary-pump-13597900
My guess is that they are in different systems. By the system diagram for the ...900 part number, it looks to me like it is for the power electronics cooling loop. The physical differences might be something minor like how the mounting bolt holes are oriented, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you Barry!
There is already another entry for battery coolant pump two lines above, so what else would this second coolant pump referring to?
It is frustrating that voltec warranty doesn't seem to have a parts list so it is very vague.
Also do you know if I leave it unrepairred ( If i need heat, i will just turn on the engine) will this be harmful to the battery cooling system?

·
Registered
9 Posts
so it is possible that this 900 pump is the second pump that is on the warranty booklet? but it is not called coolant pump on the parts website though, only auxiliary pump or water pump.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Thank you Barry!
There is already another entry for battery coolant pump two lines above, so what else would this second coolant pump referring to?
It is frustrating that voltec warranty doesn't seem to have a parts list so it is very vague.
Also do you know if I leave it unrepairred ( If i need heat, i will just turn on the engine) will this be harmful to the battery cooling system?
There are separate cooling loops for the battery and the power electronics. Those each have separate pumps and are probably the pumps on your list. The pump for cabin heat is separate from both of those.

Leaving this un-repaired will not interfere with battery cooling, so I think it is OK to do that. You could also get a 12V accessory heater to plug into your cigarette lighter socket. I don't know how effective those are, but might be worth a try.

I think at least one forum member did a DIY pump replacement to save money on this repair.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
There are 3 pumps. The one for the cabin heater circuit isn’t covered although at least 1 other pump is 100% identical to to the cabin heater pump.

I got a pump from a 2015 off eBay and replaced it myself. Took a little over a gallon of coolant and about a half hour. Super easy. Pump is behind the RF wheel well liner.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Anyone know about needing to pull a vacuum to replace the fluid? I was thinking I would do this while replacing the pump that has been mentioned in this thread. Any place to get attachments to radiator at a reasonable price? I’ll be looking and if I find the newer oats neeed to do a vacuum fluid install I will post back here..

Tia,
Anthony

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Anyone know about needing to pull a vacuum to replace the fluid? I was thinking I would do this while replacing the pump that has been mentioned in this thread. Any place to get attachments to radiator at a reasonable price? I’ll be looking and if I find the newer oats neeed to do a vacuum fluid install I will post back here..

Tia,
Anthony
No need when replacing this pump. If you pull the pump it will drain one of the tanks. Just replace pump and fill it back up. No codes or errors will come up.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts