GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM

Why not provide a Fast track to obtaining Volt !!??

I see the current promotion and I have submitted my interests through the corporate sites. Though I get CRM based emails form the dealers I chose, no one is seem to be interested in closing a deal honestly!! The one problem I have is to set aside anytime during the work week to visit. Dealers and their sales personnel seem to be not interested if I am unable to commit the few hours they need in front of them!!

I don't need to test drive as I have done my research and am pretty convinced that it should be my everyday car.
I am able to research and identify inventory and all I need is the final quote to move forward.

The experience of obtaining a tech savvy trend-setting car should be plainly painless in this information age!!

Can the Volt Advisor be approached or engaged to investigate the holds-up or provide governance in a transparent deal?

Like to hear other what the current Volt owners or potential Volt wannabes endure(d)
Ram

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I did all my face to face meetings on Saturday. No problem. I knew what I wanted, I found the car I wanted at another dealer 200 miles away. I just told my local salesman where it was and he arraigned bringing it home.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I tried for 5 months to get a Volt in Michigan (where they are made) ended up flying to New York to get one and had to pay extra for an ispection a front plate bracket an transport to New York. I was even lucky to find one at MSRP in May of 2011.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Like to hear other what the current Volt owners or potential Volt wannabes endure(d)
Ram

The biggest problems I had were 1) Explaining how a Volt works to ignorant sales people and 2) Actually finding a suitable Volt within 200 miles of where I live (a city of over 2 million). I think it's sad when a customer knows more about a $44,000 car than the salesman who's trying to sell it. And I'm not talking about exotic trivia here, but simple questions like what is the price of a L2 charger. He eventually quoted me $245, then later changed it to $490, saying the price had just recently doubled. (Probably not true.) It didn't matter. I didn't want it anyway.

All of the salesmen complained that they had very little training with the Volt and never had enough in stock so that they could take them home overnight to get to know them. But they offered to let me take one home overnight. Hmm. . . .

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I enjoyed buying my Volt from a dealer 1000 miles from my house. Did some talking on the phone, some of the paperwork and then spent maybe 1.5 hours at the dealer to pick up it up. Enjoyed driving I-95 from Tampa to home to learn some of the Volt features along the way. If you can find a good deal farther away would you go there? A few larger dealers like Paddock in Buffalo, Stingray in Plant City, FL and a few in California all would drop-ship you a Volt to your house for a fee and you'd pick from their large inventories compared to the small inventories locally. On Long Island, what was it, Atlantic Chevrolet, is a big Volt dealer.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I tried for 5 months to get a Volt in Michigan (where they are made) ended up flying to New York to get one and had to pay extra for an ispection a front plate bracket an transport to New York. I was even lucky to find one at MSRP in May of 2011.
When I bought my Volt in April, 2012, the supply was low and my dealer (Taylor Chevrolet) found the exact car I wanted, which was 420 miles away (somewhere in Illinois), and arranged to have it brought back to Michigan. The only drawback was that I didn't want the front license plate bracket on the car so I had them remove it and put plastic plugs in the holes. The plugs are not perfect but look much better than the license plate bracket.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I know what you mean. I've been trying to get a Volt for the past couple of months. Unfortunately my wife has the car that we're going to trade in and both our time is very limited. I would have purchased the car sight unseen had the latest dealer just give me a ballpark price that we were starting at. I can't find any good dealers in Rochester, NY to work with on obtaining one. They all want to quote me MSRP, I've told two of them to pound sand if that's what they come back with.

Oooh well, if I wait, perhaps volt 2.0 will be okay and I'll go for that.
Jayson

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got my Volt at Criswell Chevy in Maryland if you're willing to make the drive down ... really large selection ...

I flew up from FL to get it (they were 1k under Stingray)

Mine was 5k off MSRP and 0% financing (part of the deal was from Ally)

3,608 Posts
Can the Volt Advisor be approached or engaged to investigate the holds-up or provide governance in a transparent deal?
Ram,

The Volt Advisor Team is a Customer Service Team, but we are not involved in the Sales Process. That is between the dealership and customer.

-Ian Chevrolet Volt Customer Service

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
There are easy low-hassle ways to get a fair deal is to go through a buying service like through your credit union, Costco, Consumer Reports, or TrueCar. For those services the dealer has to abide by the program rules, but the car you want has to be in stock.

Review the inventories of the dealers on the Chevy website first-to find the car you want- then configure the buying service around a vehicle you know they have. Then the pricing will work and you can buy your car with no hassle or haggle. You could get a better deal through negotiation but that takes time and patience you might not have.

BTW: Ewwwwe! @ the Chevy "Customer Service" response above. That horrible "not my job"-mentality response belongs in the 1960's. In this century, the sales process is an integral part of the customer experience and companies that want to stay in business know they need to treat it as such to survive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Never left my house - new Volt coming next week

I used Consumer Reports to obtain three dealer names and preliminary pricing. Only one of them was terrific - the other two only sent emails that were auto replies. The dealer is located in Putnam, Ct (Cargill Chevrolet) and the salesman is Jon Jackel. Great guy. Sent me a video email to introduce himself. Two quick phone calls later and I had a 2013 Red Chevy Volt in my driveway for a 24 hour test drive. I drove it on the highway, city and nighttime and decided to buy one with more options. No problem - Jon found me the right model and he'll have it Monday and I should have it Tuesday or Wednesday. Cargill has 9 retired guys who deliver and pick up cars in a 1,500 miles radius - for free. They will service the car and pick it up and leave me a loaner. Pricing was excellent and the $2,000 Ally Bank promotion was great, although I originally wanted to pay cash. 12-72 months, zero down, zero %, $2,000 off until end of February. You can pay off the loan without penalty anytime after 3 payments. I live 170 miles away from the dealership. Jon will deliver the car himself to have me sign the papers, registered in NYS where I live. He'll be walking me through OnStar, BlueTooth iPhone and garage etc. and I am so glad I found this forum, I've learned so much. Here's a picture of me in the loaner with the driver in the background which had 182 miles on it when it arrived. They drove it off the showroom floor that morning. Jon had a new car delivered to the Midwest last week. They go anywhere.

Karen (I never owned a Chevy and my current car is a 2006 Prius)

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used Consumer Reports to obtain three dealer names and preliminary pricing. Only one of them was terrific - the other two only sent emails that were auto replies. The dealer is located in Putnam, Ct (Cargill Chevrolet) and the salesman is Jon Jackel. Great guy. Sent me a video email to introduce himself. Two quick phone calls later and I had a 2013 Red Chevy Volt in my driveway for a 24 hour test drive. I drove it on the highway, city and nighttime and decided to buy one with more options. No problem - Jon found me the right model and he'll have it Monday and I should have it Tuesday or Wednesday. Cargill has 9 retired guys who deliver and pick up cars in a 1,500 miles radius - for free. They will service the car and pick it up and leave me a loaner. Pricing was excellent and the $2,000 Ally Bank promotion was great, although I originally wanted to pay cash. 12-72 months, zero down, zero %, $2,000 off until end of February. You can pay off the loan without penalty anytime after 3 payments. I live 170 miles away from the dealership. Jon will deliver the car himself to have me sign the papers, registered in NYS where I live. He'll be walking me through OnStar, BlueTooth iPhone and garage etc. and I am so glad I found this forum, I've learned so much. Here's a picture of me in the loaner with the driver in the background which had 182 miles on it when it arrived. They drove it off the showroom floor that morning. Jon had a new car delivered to the Midwest last week. They go anywhere.

Karen, thank you for sharing your experience. Now that I consider an excellent customer service and the kind I look for. I have not had the fast track I have been longing and let me check 'em out

Thank you
Ram

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
I shopped Cars.com and found 5 cars I wanted that my local dealer didn't have in stock. They worked a dealer to dealer trade and had the vehicle I wanted within 4 hours.

I guess I don't understand what you are complaining about. BTW I bought 2 new Corvette's this was and one had to be trucked over 600 miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I don't understand what you are complaining about. BTW I bought 2 new Corvette's this was and one had to be trucked over 600 miles.
Tom

"I see the current promotion and I have submitted my interests through the corporate sites. Though I get CRM based emails form the dealers I chose, no one is seem to be interested in closing a deal honestly!! The one problem I have is to set aside anytime during the work week to visit. Dealers and their sales personnel seem to be not interested if I am unable to commit the few hours they need in front of them!!"

The above snippet form my original post is the issue. Karen seems to be in the same boat as I am and it seems she has overcome it.

I am a serious buyer and wanted a firm quote per the current promotion without having to find time and spend at the dealer's desk. First no one ever provided me the base model quote as suggested by GM as they always started with what you want and then provided rough estimates.

I just needed the transparency in a way where I could obtain paperwork and confirm the deal without having to leave my work and family commitment similar to most of the shopping we do now-a-days. When you know what you want, what is the point of being physically present at a shop or showroom. Just order, pay and get it delivered.

Thanks
Ram

·
Registered
262 Posts
This seems like an odd post to me.

I'm not sure why you're having this kind of problem buying one of these. Our local dealer has over 30 in stock. I just went down and bought one. We negotiated like any other car deal, and drove it home with about $4k off MSRP.

http://phillipschevy.com/inventory/view/Make/Chevrolet/Model/Volt/New/SortBy0/

We ended up using the PenFed Auto Payment Saver Program, it works sorta like a lease but because you buy the car you get all the rebates/incentives with a balloon payment at the end. If you go to thier site you can input your numbers. Much easier than letting the dealer play with the numbers behind your back IMHO. I had a check from them in 2 days flat. Very easy process.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you for your kind words

Thank you Karen & Pat

I cant wait to meet you both in person and I know you will love this Volt

Jon Jackel
Cargill Chevrolet
[email protected]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts