GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have not been plugging in my 2013 volt lately, as I have another vehicle under maintenance taking up the garage space. Overnight it dropped to about -18°F and now it seems that the vehicle has no power whatsoever. No power locks, nothing on the dash or center stack, I can't even open the trunk because hit has an electronic latch. I have seen some people say to plug it in and let it warm up, but it has been plugged in for about 6 hours with an extension cord (not thrilled about that), and so far nothing to show for it. Really hoping someone has resolved a similar issue and can point me in the right direction to resolve this!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
You may have a dead 12V battery. They don't like cold weather either. Use your key to get into driver's door (you have to slip off the key entry cover). I would first open the hood and measure the voltage at battery posts. If you don't have 12V+ or a lithium jumper battery to start the computers, you can open the back hatch by going into the cargo area (you have inside access now), popping open a cover and mechanically open the hatch latch with a screwdriver to gain access to battery under cargo cover. Replace battery with 12V AGM type 47 battery. When popping open plastic covers, I like to warm them up with a hair dryer so you are less likely to break off tabs.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,646 Posts
I'd be concerned that after getting cold soaked overnight, the battery might not support the computers and they may not allow the DC-DC converter to charge the 12V even with the EVSE plugged in. I'd recommend checking the voltage as recommended by FI Spyder. However, If you find the voltage is below 12 V, check the voltage with and without the EVSE plugged in. If the voltage isn't higher with the EVSE plugged in, that could indicate the DC-DC converter is not charging the 12V battery. Before buying a new battery at that point, I'd try charging the battery at the terminals under the hood. See if, when there is a reasonable charge on the 12V, the EVSE and DC-DC converter are suddenly able to begin charging the both batteries.

Even if you elect to just throw a new battery at the situation because it old, rather than crawl through the back of the car and open the hatch with a screwdriver, you might consider just applying a charge to terminals under the hood and opening the hatch like normal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the issue has been resolved! It seems that the battery heating system had simply drained the battery. Jumped it from the terminal posts under the hood (I was not previously aware of these) and it started right up. Simple ignorance was the cause. Thank you guys for your help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I have not been plugging in my 2013 volt lately, as I have another vehicle under maintenance taking up the garage space. Overnight it dropped to about -18°F and now it seems that the vehicle has no power whatsoever. No power locks, nothing on the dash or center stack, I can't even open the trunk because hit has an electronic latch. I have seen some people say to plug it in and let it warm up, but it has been plugged in for about 6 hours with an extension cord (not thrilled about that), and so far nothing to show for it. Really hoping someone has resolved a similar issue and can point me in the right direction to resolve this!
It might be a battery issue.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Well, the issue has been resolved! It seems that the battery heating system had simply drained the battery. Jumped it from the terminal posts under the hood (I was not previously aware of these) and it started right up. Simple ignorance was the cause. Thank you guys for your help!
If your 2013 still has the original 12v battery, it needs to be replaced now with a proper group 47 AGM battery or you will surely have more problems soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts