GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weird event this morning. I went out to run an errand so I unplugged the car, got in and backed out of the garage before I noticed my battery level was at zero, my engine was running and the check engine light was on. Last night I had used up the battery so as I got home I did a temporary override of my charge programming to start immediately and plugged in. I don't have an OnStar subscription anymore so I don't know what the codes are. I've got an appointment to take it in Monday morning, but I was just curious to know if anyone else has run into this problem.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Have you plugged it in again to see if it charges? If it does not charge, what are the lights on the charger? These events are generally charger problems, not Volt problems. But if it is a Volt problem it can be the charging port or in rare occasions the onboard charger. The onboard charger on my 2012 went bad and had to be replaced, under warranty of course, but that is not common.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Just plug it in and see what happens. If there is any problem with charging you'll get a CEL. Since most times the problem with charging isn't related to the car, most times the CEL just disappears. So take Gary's suggestion: plug it in and see what happens. If it charges then cancel your appointment since, if you take it in and everything is fine, they'll just clear the codes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checked on things this morning and the battery has a charge. I started it up, but the check engine light is still illuminated. its a steady light, not flashing which means something with the emissions system is wrong. I'll keep my appointment and drop it off Monday morning.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update. My car needed the Body Control Module flashed. There was a service bulletin for this problem that hadn't been applied. This makes some sense as I had the BCM replaced early in the year as a solution to the OnStar/self starting bug that was going around. I imagine they never applied the flash update when it was replaced. Everything seems good to go for now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts