GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Volt for a little over two weeks now and I neurotically dust it, vacuum it and wipe down the wheels almost daily to keep it looking sharp. I have noticed a complete absence of brake dust on the front wheels. Most cars, especially new, will have dirty front wheels due to brake dust in no time at all. I am assuming this is due to the fact that gentle braking uses only the regenerative braking system and does not apply the pads of the hydraulics. Am I correct on this?

·
Administrator
20,810 Posts
I wash mine once a week. I too do not see brake dust. We use L for all city driving.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
That's good to know. When I wash my current car, I always have to use a separate bucket for wheels due to brake dust.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't believe the pads on the Volt do most of the stopping. It uses a lot of magnetic resistant to stop, and or the original pads may be ceramic.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Did my first detailed cleaning of Sparky yesterday: didn't notice a bunch of brake dust... but I did notice that this car has a bunch of nooks and crannies that like to hold water ( under the black cladding under the windows, etc ). Every time I'd think I was done with the chamois, I'd open an shut the hatch or a door and ... more water trails down the side. Oh well, if that's the worst thing I can point out, I'll get used to it.

Dan
C2735

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Six months and no brake dust on the Volt or the Leaf. I just don't think the mechanical brakes are applied very often. That's a good thing for everyone because brake dust is a nasty health hazard.

bintoo, interesting fact on the Volt brakes. Thanks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Did my first detailed cleaning of Sparky yesterday: didn't notice a bunch of brake dust... but I did notice that this car has a bunch of nooks and crannies that like to hold water ( under the black cladding under the windows, etc ). Every time I'd think I was done with the chamois, I'd open an shut the hatch or a door and ... more water trails down the side. Oh well, if that's the worst thing I can point out, I'll get used to it.

Dan
C2735
You can purchase a Master Blaster on line. It produces both warm and cold air at a good velocity. Or you can cheap out like I sometimes do and use you leaf blower after the first wipeing .. Have you tried the ABSORBER. It makes the towel, sponge and chamois your father's wiper. Available at Walmart or any auto store for about 10 bucks.
Al

1 - 11 of 11 Posts