GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently there is no protection cover portecting the battery etc under the car for the 2014 but the previous 2013-2012 and 2011 model does have it....

Is it true and why GM would have decided to not include this protection under the 2014??

Canadian Winter are hard for car and teh Volt is a pretty low car so the snow id closer to teh bottom. I just wonder if that plate should have been preserved...

Doc

·
Registered
409 Posts
There is atleast one other thread on this topic that goes into more detail. The 2011 and 12 have a cover over a larger area than the 2013 and 14. The cover is not metal its some kind of plastic or composit material. The area missing the cover is not where the battery is, its to the side. GM determined it was not needed, but no one of the forum knew for sure why. My best guess is the removal of this cover may have had to do with aerodynamics (less) and weight (less) and the benefit verses cost.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There is atleast one other thread on this topic that goes into more detail. The 2011 and 12 have a cover over a larger area than the 2013 and 14. The cover is not metal its some kind of plastic or composit material. The area missing the cover is not where the battery is, its to the side. GM determined it was not needed, but no one of the forum knew for sure why. My best guess is the removal of this cover may have had to do with aerodynamics (less) and weight (less) and the benefit verses cost.
That's interesting.

Do you have the link to that thread you are refering to?

Someone on our blog found some pictures what look like the 2011:

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/volt/2011/long-term-road-test/2011-chevy-volt-a-look-underneath.html

I am very curious to see what the 2014 are compare to the 2011.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Yes, the 2011 and 2012's have airflow baffles for a more seamless, aerodynamic underside. I suspect they were dropped from later models strictly for cost reasons.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ever wonder how they lowered the price on the 2014 Volt by $4000?

Now you have discovered one way GM saved money.
Here in Quebec, Canada they need to spread calcium on the road to for safety when there is ice and snow on the road...

that make cars to rust faster...

I heard that the Volt can not have oil anti rust treatment due to the battery and other reasons.. i'm not sure it's 100% true.. but no anti rust treatment and less bottom covering is a not helping to prevent rust!

Doc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts