GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
and one or 2 people in the past did request information on how to disable GPS/onstar
Thats what makes think the module is unplugged. Disabling OnStar "intelegently" by calling onstar support will not kill gps/Bluetooth.

I just tried again fuse trick and no luck. They fuse is not blown btw. Still can't find that damn module. Its not visible under the dash not like 2013

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thats what makes think the module is unplugged. Disabling OnStar "intelegently" by calling onstar support will not kill gps/Bluetooth.

I just tried again fuse trick and no luck. They fuse is not blown btw. Still can't find that damn module. Its not visible under the dash not like 2013

Can this be the Telematics Communication Interface Control Module which is located next to the body control module on the passenger side?

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Have you checked state laws? You maybe able to return the car within 3 days of purchase without penalty. Do not go by what the dealer tells you. Do your own research.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Have you checked state laws? You maybe able to return the car within 3 days of purchase without penalty. Do not go by what the dealer tells you. Do your own research.
Lets drop this option once for all. I will not give up on my volt because of dead VCIM. In my view this particular issue is minor(but annoying) and can be fixed. There is always a challenge when buying used car vs spending big bucks on the new. The fact that everything else in my volt is absolutely perfect does make me regret it what so ever. I will be speaking with sales manager tomorrow (he is off today) to bring my volt in for service first thing Saturday morning. I will post any additional information i will have to help another person with same issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Can this be the Telematics Communication Interface Control Module which is located next to the body control module on the passenger side?
So far your information is the best so far. Additional google search suggest that item 1(K73)Telematics Communication ICM may very well be what i am looking for. Your particular image seems to be reversed or for RHD vehicle but i do know for sure that item 13 (Navagiation Aerial Signal Splitter) is on the left side of my Volt.

Here is the image of item 13. So the item 1 (K73) must be right behind it. You can see the wiring on the pic:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Here you go!

According to WopOnTour's

It's under the instrument panel. Far RH side on the 2011 and next to the steering column on the 2012-13. There's a caged housing/structure around it and a fastener holding a trap door on the bottom of the cage. The lower knee bolsters will need to be removed for access. Then disconnect connectors and remove the fastener and you can "swing" open the little trap door and the VCIM drops out the bottom.

Cant recommend pulling this module though. Serious loss of functionality, but those that do will discover that soon enough I suppose.
WOT

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So far your information is the best so far. Additional google search suggest that item 1(K73)Telematics Communication ICM may very well be what i am looking for. Your particular image seems to be reversed or for RHD vehicle but i do know for sure that item 13 (Navagiation Aerial Signal Splitter) is on the left side of my Volt.

Here is the image of item 13. So the item 1 (K73) must be right behind it. You can see the wiring on the pic:

Okay i found the module. It is located in that plastic housing as shown on the pic above. The two black cables on upper right side are connected to the VCIM module and antenna is right below them (not seen on the pic).

It appears that all connectors are nice a snugged so the module is most likely dead :( If you may recall i was hopping the previous owner unplugged it but that is no longer the case.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Miles556 - let me get this straight. You would rather spend ~$600 of your own money to fix the car than return it and find another? I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you got an awesome deal. That even with the unexpected repair cost you are not able to find a comparable deal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Miles556 - let me get this straight. You would rather spend ~$600 of your own money to fix the car than return it and find another? I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you got an awesome deal. That even with the unexpected repair cost you are not able to find a comparable deal.
If it ends up out of my pocket expense i doubt it will be 600. The price for the board is a third of that.
The only blow would be to have GM load software and charge me big bucks for it. If the new board works with gps/bluetooth than that is all i need.

You would rather spend ~$600 of your own money to fix the car than return it and find another?
Defiantly yes when buying used and being picky about my trade-in/interested rate/color/features etc. Again i doubt it will cost me 600.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Here is the hardcore removal instructions in case you might attempt this yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0dvLuWna9Q
Thanks Boris, now that i feel fairly comfortable that the board is dead i will try push back at the dealer to get it replaced & reprogrammed at their cost or at least partial cost. Tomorrow i should know after i speak with sales manager. If that will not work i will try removing my board and reorder online with same part numbers. As someone point it out earlier, the board needs to reprogrammed when replaced with new by the dealer. It so annoying that this module is also doing GPS and Bluetooth. I would only be interested in OnStar if it was free.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You should wait until they roll out the 4G LTE upgrades in Canada and order one of the new 4G VCIMs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Miles556, I would push back hard to have it replaced. Or contact a Volt Advisor and see if they can step in and help resolve this issue. The board is not that expensive, but as I mentioned I sat for two plus hours as the module was being programmed and of course was charged full shop rate for that time. Again, thank you extended warranty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Miles556, I would push back hard to have it replaced. Or contact a Volt Advisor and see if they can step in and help resolve this issue. The board is not that expensive, but as I mentioned I sat for two plus hours as the module was being programmed and of course was charged full shop rate for that time. Again, thank you extended warranty.
Boris, just got off the phone with sales manager. So far it sounds promising. Even tho bumper to bumper is expired i am covered for the first month 1000 miles by their dealership. Somehow this did not come up during signing up a deal so i was pleased to find out today.

Since they are 70 miles away i asked if they can pre-order the VCIM module so it can be replaced when i come in on Saturday. He suppose to get back to me and let me know. He did say they may need to diagnose it first which is fair enough i guess. It will just cost me 2 trips to get it resolved.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
You should wait until they roll out the 4G LTE upgrades in Canada and order one of the new 4G VCIMs.
to be honest, i don't care about OnStar running on 4G. I have 90 days trial and that is far as go with it.
I really want my GPS and handsfree working in my Volt. BTW, i did some part number searching on gmpartsgiant.com and it appears the actual part number changed like 3 times for VCIM. My guess original units were failing often so the new/revised versions were rolling out to replace the old.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Miles556, I had to do the same thing .... diagnose first and then order the part. So two trips and my part had to come from Texas and it took a week. But worth the trip to have things working properly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Miles556, I had to do the same thing .... diagnose first and then order the part. So two trips and my part had to come from Texas and it took a week. But worth the trip to have things working properly.
Quick update on the situation. My first trip to dealer basically end it with them agreeing that VCIM module needs replacement but they of course dont have the module in stock. I will most likely make another trip this coming Friday/Saturday for installation and reprogramming. Expenses are fully covered by the dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone bought a used unit and had it reprogrammed at the dealer? My unit is dead. I poked around looking for any obvious signs of failure and I only found one chip with questionable soldering. I'd like to have a backup unit ready to go before I go prodding around on mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone bought a used unit and had it reprogrammed at the dealer? My unit is dead. I poked around looking for any obvious signs of failure and I only found one chip with questionable soldering. I'd like to have a backup unit ready to go before I go prodding around on mine.
Yes, I just did this with a 2015 Volt. My compass stopped working, and had it checked only to find my OnStar unit has died and they wanted $700 for a new unit. I found that the GPS, Compass, etc. are all tied to an OnStar unit. Why I don't know, but I bought one off eBay, identical unit, except it came from a 2015 Buick Verano. Same box, everything. Took it to the dealer and they reprogrammed it for about $100. Fixed the compass issue, etc, however when I try to call OnStar, they think I am calling from a Verano. I have spent weeks trying to get them to update the VIN and account on the unit. I call and talk to a Level 1, they escalate to a Level 3 who will respond in 3 to 5 days. They call me back days later, say it is fixed and I need to have the activation sent again from within the car, so I connect to another Level 1 and they get an error and tell me a Level 3 will call me back in 3 to 5 days and the cycle repeats. Just cancelled my OnStar today because I can't use it. It works for everything else. So OnStar is tracking a salvaged Verano at this point. Any other thoughts? Others claim the same thing has been done before, but apparently I can't get it fixed. The car functions fine, just being reported incorrect to OnStar. Why does an OnStar unit in a $35k fail after 5 years? I have many electronics that last longer than that. It ridicoulus that important features like a compass are even tied to this stupid box.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts