GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gents!
I hope you can help me figure out a problem that seems to be evolving around dead/disconnected OnStar VCIM module. I purchased used 2012 Chevy Bolt premium package with build date August 2011. Shortly after leaving dealer lot i discovered that the Bluetooth, GPS, and OnStar appears to be dead. OnStar button on the panel above does not respond, Navigation showing GPS with crossed red line, and Bluetooth as Not Available.

I hope its something simple as previous owner was paranoid of being tracked and just pulled wiring from VCIM module. Can anyone confirm exactly where this module is on early 2012 build and how much effort there is to access it and check wiring. There is a youtube video that shows location for this VCIM on 2013 model (under dash next to left driver's foot) but my Volt does not have it in there.

Here is how mine looks like:

I hope you guys can help me out as I really want to try my 90 days free onstar trial and use Nav and Bluetooth features as intended. I dont care of being tracked.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Turn off the car. Open the driver's door and in the side of the dashboard is a fuse box. Open the cover and pull fuse #9 and reinsert. If that activates bluetooth and OnStar. I got tired of doing this so took it to dealer and the VCIM replaced under my extended warranty.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Oh, and if that activates the system you probably have to push the OnStar button and talk with them to make OnStar and Sirrius work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes i tried that already but no luck. Nothing i do brings back Bluetooth, GPS, OnStar. I dont have bumper/bumper warranty for my Volt and my dealer where i purchased my volt few days ago is ignoring me :(. Again, i am hoping its just a disconnected VCIM module by previous owner but can't find anything online that can explain where exactly this module is located on early 2012 builds

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would then check under passenger side dash or behind center console cover. Looks like a floor heater vent by yellow connector in the photo you posted??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would then check under passenger side dash or behind center console cover. Looks like a floor heater vent by yellow connector in the photo you posted??
The box should be fairly big and easy to spot. Here is the best pic i got so far.

I suspect it's berried deep inside center console under the nav screen itself but i dont want to remove anything until i know for sure. If anyone with the service manual or at maybe have a pic please post here please.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,758 Posts
Questions:
1.) Is your location Los Angeles or Louisiana?
2.) Was your purchase done on an AS-IS basis?
3.) What is the name of your dealer?
4.) How did you manage to make a purchase of this magnitude without testing any of these items? Internet purchase?
5.) What kind of warranty was given?
6.) At your location, what are the laws about reversing such a purchase? Have you asked a lawyer whether you have any options?
7.) How good of a deal did you get on this puppy? $10-12K?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
To my surprise they go for 300 plus on ebay. I was hoping i can wait on that or find an online pdf version.
I found one here for $200 ... http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.asp?Make=CHV&Model=VOLT&Year=&Category=1&class_2=CHV&mk=Chevrolet+%26+Geo&yr=All+Years&md=Volt&dt=Shop%2FService+Information&module=&from=result&Style=helm&Sku=GMP12R&itemtype=N

They are quite expensive because they don't sell them in volume and they contain a wealth of information and is expensive and time consuming to prepare. I remember someone posted the link to a 2012 Ampera service manual - maybe a Google search can find it for you. Not sure Ampera has OnStar so it may not have the required info.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just checked my repair ticket and mine cost $631.00 (thanks extended warranty) and had to be special ordered out of Texas. It took a week to get to dealer. The replacement took about 2.5 hours of which most of this time was reprogramming the Volt ( I know cause I waited for the car and sat in the waiting room drinking coffee watching my Volt sitting idle but plugged in through the drivers side window. So I think its easy to replace (if it needs replacement) but will need a trip to dealer to "activate" via software update through a fairly lengthy software download.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,758 Posts
How could all of these different systems, BT/OnStar/NAV be the result of VCIM? Is that possible? Fuse was pulled and replaced. Was it checked to see if it was still functional?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I just checked my repair ticket and mine cost $631.00 (thanks extended warranty) and had to be special ordered out of Texas. It took a week to get to dealer. The replacement took about 2.5 hours of which most of this time was reprogramming the Volt ( I know cause I waited for the car and sat in the waiting room drinking coffee watching my Volt sitting idle but plugged in through the drivers side window. So I think its easy to replace (if it needs replacement) but will need a trip to dealer to "activate" via software update through a fairly lengthy software download.
i am still hoping for something simple as previous owner disconnecting the wiring harness but first i need to locate exactly where that module is hidden. If module is dead than i will take the fight back to the dealer and have them replace and reprogram it. Only problem dealer is about 70 miles away one way and something tells it will take several trips to get it resolved. Other than this issue my Volt is absolutely mint

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Questions/Answers:
1.) Is your location Los Angeles or Louisiana?
yes
2.) Was your purchase done on an AS-IS basis?
They told me 36 month warranty expired but power train 5 year and battery warranty still on.
I can still go back and purchase extended warranty but i was hoping i dont need as I usually fix stuff on my own in my garage.
2200 plus 100 deductable is rip off in my view.
3.) What is the name of your dealer?
SINGH Chevrolet
4.) How did you manage to make a purchase of this magnitude without testing any of these items? Internet purchase?
I tested just about everything. I did notice GPS did not locate me on the map but I took as it part of required activation of OnStar.
i checked body for damages and any type of abuse. Since all the screens came up fine and buttons worked i took it as all normal. I was not expecting one stupid module to take gps, Bluetooth, and OnStar with it. Something did not come up when i researched volts.
5.) What kind of warranty was given?
Factory 5 year, 8 year battery
6.) At your location, what are the laws about reversing such a purchase? Have you asked a lawyer whether you have any options?
there was an option to pay 250 and have 2 day return option but i refused it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found one here for $200 ... http://www.helminc.com/helm/product...&from=result&Style=helm&Sku=GMP12R&itemtype=N

They are quite expensive because they don't sell them in volume and they can contain a wealth of information. I remember someone posted the link to a 2012 Ampera service manual - maybe a Google search can find it for you. Not sure Ampera has OnStar so it may not have the required info.
Thanks, defiantly something i will need in near future. I hope someone can point me in the right direction to find OnStart Module on Early 2012 models.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How could all of these different systems, BT/OnStar/NAV be the result of VCIM? Is that possible? Fuse was pulled and replaced. Was it checked to see if it was still functional?
yep it is part of the module. If one unplugs it than all 3 features are offline. Defiantly tried fuse trick but no luck. When i get home i will try again and also try to shine my light into any hole under the dash to find that module

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
and one or 2 people in the past did request information on how to disable GPS/onstar

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Recommend you contact your volt advisor
thanks, my sales manager is off until wednesday. If i can't get them to schedule me in for Sat morning to look at it than i will consider that step. I am trying to deal with other 1000 things going in my life now and not stress myself over no gps/b/onstar haha. But i will fight to get fixed. I really love driving this Volt btw...i want it perfect haha

1 - 20 of 40 Posts