GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Volt Premier and maybe I'm just missing a setting or misunderstood the manual. I was sorta expecting the doors on the Volt to automatically lock after I shut off the car and walk away. Every car I've ever owned or driven with proximity keys had this feature. Is this not a Volt feature or did I miss a setting somewhere?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I have a 2017 Volt Premier and maybe I'm just missing a setting or misunderstood the manual. I was sorta expecting the doors on the Volt to automatically lock after I shut off the car and walk away. Every car I've ever owned or driven with proximity keys had this feature. Is this not a Volt feature or did I miss a setting somewhere?
Did you activate the 'Anti-Lock Out' feature?
Unlocked Door Anti-Lockout
When on, this feature will keep the driver door from locking when the door is open. If Off is selected, the Delayed Door Lock menu will be available.
Select Off or On.
With the anti-lockout turned on, the 'Delayed Lock' menu is unavailable.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The feature exists and must be activated through the menu settings. I believe it's in Settings under Vehicle, Passive Door Lock.

The way the feature works is simply after you close the door after exiting the doors will lock after 8 seconds. It has nothing to do with the proximity of the key fob to the vehicle.

The manual has all this information, and lots more.

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
What I don't like about this feature is that it causes you to be lazy, then when you're driving a different car without this, you're leaving your car unlocked for anyone to sift through the contents. Of course, I'm also old school, I don't mind the rear camera and sensors, but I'll apply my own brakes and stay in my own lane, thank you. I'm scared to death of autopilot and autonomous cars... I'm sure eventually that will pass when they become ubiquitous. The main issue I have is when the laws of physics causes the computer to decide between taking out kid on a bike, a tree, or a group of nuns, which would it choose?

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
What I don't like about this feature is that it causes you to be lazy, then when you're driving a different car without this, you're leaving your car unlocked for anyone to sift through the contents. Of course, I'm also old school, I don't mind the rear camera and sensors, but I'll apply my own brakes and stay in my own lane, thank you. I'm scared to death of autopilot and autonomous cars... I'm sure eventually that will pass when they become ubiquitous. The main issue I have is when the laws of physics causes the computer to decide between taking out kid on a bike, a tree, or a group of nuns, which would it choose?
I make it a point to hang around and verify the car locks. Maybe it'll make me less likely to forget to lock it when driving something else.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The feature exists and must be activated through the menu settings. I believe it's in Settings under Vehicle, Passive Door Lock.

The way the feature works is simply after you close the door after exiting the doors will lock after 8 seconds. It has nothing to do with the proximity of the key fob to the vehicle.

The manual has all this information, and lots more.
Maybe it was just me but I read the door lock section of the manual so many times and it never made any sense to me. I was making my head hurt thinking about if an "unlocked anti-door lockout" was a good thing or a bad thing! Anyway, I think I figured it out. Basically, to keep the car from auto locking, don't enable the anti-door lockout menu option. THEN, open the drivers door, hold the inside door unlock button on the car door itself until the car chimes three times.

If you want the doors to auto lock, then I believe you enable the anti-door lockout so that you get the Delayed Locking menu option to appear. Enable that, then open driver's door and hold the door lock button on the car door until you get the three chimes.

I hope that makes sense. My head is starting to hurt so I'm going to stop now :)

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Even after 7 years I walk slow away from the volt after parking then faster after I hear the 8-10 sec later short honk.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forgot to update. Now they work. I can't even say what the fix was. The menu options were set correctly. Turned the passive lock on and off a few times to see if it would reset. Then a day or two after I gave up trying it just started working.

I walk away and the car locks. And yes the menu explanation is unnessarily confusing with regards to the anti-lockout part.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Forgot to update. Now they work. I can't even say what the fix was. The menu options were set correctly. Turned the passive lock on and off a few times to see if it would reset. Then a day or two after I gave up trying it just started working.

I walk away and the car locks. And yes the menu explanation is unnessarily confusing with regards to the anti-lockout part.
The menuing system is limited on the details it usefully displays about each option. It makes a lot more sense if you read the manual and use that to figure out what configuration options you want to set before starting to poke at the screen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts