GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying our 2nd Volt, my local dealer in Kirkland WA can go $5K off list but no lower, for an all-cash buy. He's explained the additional $4K dealer discount is a regional thing; that WA dealers are not getting that; and that buying out-of-region, those dealers would also lose their dealer discount when selling to a WA customer.

Does Chevy just really not want to sell Volts in WA? I know our Legislature kind of screwed us Volt owners by giving a sales-tax break to EVs and not to EREVs, but it seems like bad form to suppress sales in WA by keeping prices $4K higher than in the rest of the country.

Best offer on a car with everything but fancy paint (42500 list) is $37500 + 4100 tax/fees = $42600. Got this offer on 7/2; by 7/20 the only improvement was a 2nd "free carwash" pass for our 2012 Volt.

These are California cars the dealer is importing from LA-area dealers.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
The rules on discounts can get cloudy when buying out of state. Example I live in Illinois about 20 miles from St Louis MO, over there there are dealers selling 2013 Volts for $8K off MSRP. So I was about to pull the trigger thinking I was getting $8K off MSRP, my $7500 federal tax credit and the Illinois $4K cash rebate. I was going this route as the best deal I could get in Illinois was about $7K off MSRP. But after reading the fine print on my Illinois cash rebate it reads "must be purchased from an Illinois dealer".

So for me the better deal is buying my Volt in Illinois for $7K off MSRP and filing for my $4K cash rebate. Of course that could take over 10 to 12 months to get based on how they fund and process applications.

So there are always caveats to these rebates. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Go to chevrolet.com, click on "Buying Tools", then "Deals & Offers", and see if the national $4000 cash allowance is available in your zipcode. I'm dubious about what you're being told but you never know.

Or as Dave has suggested, contact Wes at Reliable and see what he says. If somebody mislead me I would not want to deal with them.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The $4000 gm cash offer is certainly available in WA. I think you just have a dealer who doesn't want to discount much. They are offering the $4000 gm cash offer and $1000 dealer discount. If they have to get the car from a dealer in CA, there are extra costs for them to get the car. They can't pay those costs and match the discounts offered by a dealer that has the car in inventory. Find a dealer who has the car you want in inventory and negotiate on that one. I don't think you are ever going to get the best price on a car the dealer has to locate.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Obviously not true. Anyway, it's all about the bottom line price. How they slice and dice to get to your price is meaningless.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I live in Lynnwood WA and just bought a 2013 Volt on the 24th of this month and I definitely got the $4000 rebate. I think you are being lied to.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Kirkland is the worst place to buy a car. They have the most dishonest salesmen I've ever encountered. Though my experience has limited to Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and a few used dealers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts