[ad#post_ad]As someone who has spent the last year driving a pure electric MINI E across wide temperature and speed variations, I can tell you real world electric range varies considerably.

Like the MINI E, the LEAF too has an air-cooled battery, only it has 24 kwh (19.2 kwh usable) of energy as opposed to the MINI E's 35 kwh (28 kwh usable).

Up to this point in the PR cycle, Nissan has simply said one could expect 100 miles of range on a fully charged battery while driving a leisurely LA4 cycle. However, this week the company has opened up media test drives of pre production prototypes in Japan. Along with releasing to the world the pedestrian alert sounds the car will make at low speeds, Nissan has also briefed journalists in some detail what real-world ranges drivers could expect to achieve in several scenarios.

Forbes reports this information as follows:

1. At perfect 68 degree Fahrenheit temperature and steady-state flat-course 38 mph, the car could achieve 138 miles of range.

2. Moderate temperature at 24 mph suburban driving, 105 miles of range.

3. Dense inner city traffic and 86 degrees F, only 47 miles of range

4. Highway driving at 55 mph in 95 degree heat with A/C on, 70 miles

5. Cold weather (14 degrees F) city driving, 62 miles of range

It was added that Nissan claims other power demanding devices such as the radio, the windshield wipers, and the heated seats will have negligible effect on range.

The scenario not included here is my typical commute, which is 65 mph+ highway driving in winter below freezing. With the MINI E my range in that scenario was about 50 to 55 miles. I'd suspect similar performance for the LEAF. Though the battery is smaller presumably the car is more aerodynamic.  The MINI E weighs 3230 pounds, and the LEAF is believed to weigh 3500 pounds.  The MINI E does 0 to 60 in about 8 seconds, the LEAF will likely be slower.

It is known three key factors most significantly affect electric car range; terrain, temperature, and driving technique.

Source ( Forbes )
[ad#postbottom]