GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
20,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Leaf customers are already pretty sure they want a Leaf when they walk onto the lot. 'It's typically a very educated customer who's doing the Leaf,' explains Broderick Alley of Downtown Nashville Nissan, 'they come in hoping it fits their needs.'

Leaf customers often walk into the dealership knowing they want a Leaf, but speak to the dealer to ensure it's suitable for the mileage they drive, that they like the feel of the car and that they can afford it"

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...c-car-buyers-really-are-different-says-dealer

I'd say something similar could be said for Volt buyers. Very educated, pretty sure they want a Volt. Of course Volt buyers are often a bit better looking :)

·
Registered
724 Posts
"Leaf customers are already pretty sure they want a Leaf when they walk onto the lot. 'It's typically a very educated customer who's doing the Leaf,' explains Broderick Alley of Downtown Nashville Nissan, 'they come in hoping it fits their needs.'
Leaf customers often walk into the dealership knowing they want a Leaf, but speak to the dealer to ensure it's suitable for the mileage they drive, that they like the feel of the car and that they can afford it"
Even in Arizona?

·
Registered
211 Posts
with all the problems with battery and Nissan bs response, I wud never look at Leaf. They made a big mistake not to install TMC. No other car has air cooling except Leaf. If the range falls 50% in 3-4 years that is disaster for it to be viable car even for local commuting.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Even in Arizona?
Definitely.
I would say EV buyers, up until the present, know they want the vehicle.
The difference in AZ is not that the LEAF buyers didn't want the LEAF walking into the Dealer, it is that the LEAF is not delivering on its promises.

When EVs are really going to start taking off is when people who aren't looking to buy an EV, walk into a dealer or see a billboard, or info on the Internet and take a closer look or test drive and buy one.
I suspect the Volt has started to tap this market:)

·
Registered
667 Posts
In defense of the Leaf battery issues.....that is still to be proved

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Here the two dealerships are side by side. The Nissan shop did a nice job putting out a charging station and trained a salesman. The Volt shop is a high volume Cadillac/Chevy dealer and has the Volts buried in a herd of Camaros with no charging station. The Volt outsells the Leaf 5 to 1 locally. I have noticed what appears to be the same (and only) red Leaf sitting since September. Apparently our well educated person doesn't see the Leaf as a mountain car despite the better display placement.

·
Administrator
20,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And then there are those who own both a Volt and a Leaf. They obviously know they want an EV! My guess is for them the Volt is the car they can drive anywhere, and the Leaf is more of an around town commuter car.

For me, the leaf suffers on three counts: winter range anxiety, looks, and Nissan's response to its Arizona customers.

I could probably get past the looks, I mean I once had a K-car for a company vehicle and that was a butt ugly brick on wheels. But living in Chicago, I'd be concerned about the Leaf's reduced winter range, especially since it has no means of warming the cabin from another source like the Volt has (ICE). Winter range and cabin heating will also be my concern for the Chevy Spark.

Lastly and perhaps most importantly, Nissan handled the battery degradation issue terribly.

GM is now the gold standard, having offered to buy back Volts from anyone with even a concern about the unproven fire allegations. Nissan on the other hand ignored their customers and disputed their claims and was seemingly pulled kicking and screaming into looking into the issue.

So when I add my second EV, I will definitely consider a GM model. Nissan, not so much and mostly because of the way they handled the AZ issue. They would need to do something dramatic to prove to me they are trustworthy. Whichever showroom I walk into, I will know what I want when I walk in, just like the article says.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts