GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is at Green Car Congress:
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008/06/ghosn-nissan-ca.html#more

"Without the battery, the cost of the electric car should be comparable to that of a similar-sized car today. The lease of the battery plus the electricity cost should be lower than the cost of gasoline. If oil prices continue to stay at a high level, as expected, the electric car will become that much more attractive.
—Carlos Ghosn

I found that interesting. So if you remove the ICE and the transmission, and add the electric motor and the Battery Management System, it is a wash, price-wise. Is it the BMS or the copper in the motor, anyone know?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know. Leasing always struck me as a way for a manufacturer to get more money for a product than it could by selling it outright.
That is certainly true. Still, if the batteries degrade pretty fast and I would end up having to buy another pack three or four years down the road, then leasing becomes somewhat interesting.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My understanding is that you buy the car, but lease the batteries. If the battery technology improves, some third party is sure to come up with a replacement pack you could buy, so then you could stop leasing them. So the lease guards you against technology improvements and against having to plunk a big amount of money at once to buy a new pack if the old one deteriorates too fast.
I'm not necessarily for the lease option, just pointing out that a case could be made for it. I would hope there would also be a buy option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.