GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Via TMC Cosmacelf: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2512109/

It is a NEMA 14-50 even tho the shadow makes it look like a 14-30. 14-50 to 14-30s adapters are readily available. Think family dryers, shops, camp*grounds, if traveling to areas without good recharging infrastructure, etc.

The EVSE has a NEMA 14-50 plug, and then an adapter that plugs into the 14-50 that converts it to a regular NEMA 5-15 120V household plug. So, when fed 120V, the EVSE charges at 12A, and when fed at 240V, it charges at 30A (or at least that's what the ratings on the label are).

·
Registered
652 Posts
Great idea, I'll admit...but I suspect it's more about making the EVSE actually practical for L2 home use (vs having to invest more in a L2 after buying the car) versus any "portability" aspect.

Face it, how often do you go anywhere and find convenient access to a 240V plug? Especially one within a functional distance of where you're parked?

·
Administrator
21,123 Posts
Yes, GM's should come with adapters like this as well.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yes, GM's should come with adapters like this as well.
As we all know the 2016+ Clipper Creek is 240V capable, but the problem is that the required adapter is far from code, making it possible for someone to accidentally plug in a 110V item into a plug that is actually supplying 240V.

The difference with this EVSE is that they've done things in such a fashion that it's actually up to code to use both ways - the adapter goes the "right way" vs the wrong way.

Yes, Clipper Creek should change to building the EVSE's that come with the 2nd Gen Volts the same way...but then again, AFAIK they've never acknowledged the fact that those EVSE's are actually 240V compatible.

·
Super Moderator
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great idea, I'll admit...but I suspect it's more about making the EVSE actually practical for L2 home use (vs having to invest more in a L2 after buying the car) versus any "portability" aspect.

Face it, how often do you go anywhere and find convenient access to a 240V plug?
I have a EVSE that works like this (interchangeable end) on my other car.

Especially one within a functional distance of where you're parked?
I've used it to plug into my son's dryer at his house, my sisters cabins garage dryer, my brother-in-laws shop, my brothers house, etc, etc. I bought an 14-50 extension cord for traveling.

120v even at 12 amps is slooooow.

FYI, the Bolt's range is longer than my other car.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Meh. I have a converted Nissan EVSE that works this way. But the reality is I never use the features. It's plugged into a 240v outlet. When I'm not using that, I'm using either a charging station, which has its own plug, or a 120v outlet, in which case I just use the 120v charger that comes with the car (less of a loss if someone walks off with it). The only place I might use it, which I never would, would be with an adapter to plug in at a trailer park or some place like that. In three years I've had occasion to use it zero times. That's a sample of one but I don't think I'm unusual.

Not saying this is a bad thing. Just saying in practice I question how often it will be useful. I can see it would save you a few bucks if you just had one EVSE. You could just install a plug at home and use it as a 120v EVSE as well. But plugging and unplugging is a pain, and most people would either have or wold be likely to get a dedicated 240v EVSE.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Outside the US most outlets are more than 200 V, making a charger that supports at least 12A at 240V a huge plus. 30 A will require a special outlet and circuit, but I would take this as a standard cord and install an outlet instead, easy upgrading too.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Yay Nissan !!

If you're going to include an EVSE with the car, why not spend a-buck-and-a-half more and make it like this?

Imagine getting a 7.2 kW EVSE with your car at no extra cost!!!

Yo, GM... Time to step up your game.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I've used it to plug into my son's dryer at his house, my sisters cabins garage dryer, my brother-in-laws shop, my brothers house, etc, etc. I bought an 14-50 extension cord for traveling.
Uncommon up here to have 240V accessible anywhere except the basement where you'd find the dryer...and even then, we are big on natural gas for appliances whenever possible here some sometimes there's not even that available.

Our building code was modified a year or three back to dictate that there must now be a 40A (IIRC) circuit in the garage or near the driveway particularly for future EV use, but suffice to say that most houses before this change are not so equipped.

Regardless, I wouldn't feel right going to visit a friend and asking "Hey, do you mind if I plug in and sap your electricity (for free) while I sit and drink your beer (for free), after that dinner you served (for free).

Quick way to never get invited to anyones house ever again IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, in a public space I'd use a 240V plug with this in a heartbeat, but reality is that you don't just see 30+A 240V plugs anywhere in the wild. I know of a grand total of one local place I could use a portable L2 (behind a local Walmart) and even then the plugs are twist-locks so the cost of the adapter would mean I'd need to get about 25 full charges at 4 hours each (not gonna happen!) before it would even pay for itself.

·
Super Moderator
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Regardless, I wouldn't feel right going to visit a friend and asking "Hey, do you mind if I plug in and sap your electricity (for free) while I sit and drink your beer (for free), after that dinner you served (for free).

Quick way to never get invited to anyones house ever again IMHO.
I thought your example response to be odd since in my examples I used family :) brother, sister, brother-in-law

This type of situation is for a longer visit and they are family. If I did this at friends I would find a way to repay them (bringing drinks, appetizer, etc).

Also many *camp*grounds* have 14-50 plugs in them for RVs. A popular way to get emergency or regular juice traveling some routes in the past for many people.

BOTTOM line to me is that Nissan did this by default and I suspect they had a variety of reason and request. As well planning for future sales where higher amp plugs are available other than basements (all my examples were 1st floor, outside shops, etc).

Hope that helps explain.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Many homes here in California have laundry areas in the garage. If one has a gas dryer, instead of an electric one, there is a handy 30 amp, 240v receptacle available for car charging use. I would hope the Leaf has a way to limit charging to 24 amps to handle the use case.

In fact I was just talking with a neighbor about this. She is interested in buying some sort of PHEV and was asking about charging. She falls exactly into that category of having a gas dryer in her garage. So 240v charging would be no problem. (She wants to replace her Subaru Outback. Unfortunately the Volt is too small to truly replace it. Subaru offers nothing plug-in, and a Pacifica PHEV is too big/expensive for what she needs.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts