GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the recent town hall meeting with Arizona Leaf owners, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uuPQe23vP0Y) Nissan today announced the much anticipated resolution.

In making the announcement, Andy Palmer, Executive VP, Leaf, commented "I'd like to thank our customers for bringing to our attention a range of issues they have experienced with the Leaf, particularly in hot climates such as Arizona. We feel confident that our solution will substantially address the issues presented to us."

He continued, "The so-called 'guess-o-meter' range estimator has been fixed. The new range estimator works very, very well. The battery degradation issues due to heat have been fixed with a new, more aggressive battery thermal management system. The engineering and software have been upgraded to prevent 'cooking' the battery by keeping a 30% buffer. We are also extending the warranty to 8 years/100k miles."

"Based on all available information, we are confident that our solution will result in the highest owner satisfaction ratings the automotive industry has ever seen for a new car, and garner numerous awards for innovative engineering" he added.

"Though a little more expensive, the solution will be available immediately. We are calling it, the Nissan Vleaf. We are simply putting some finishing touches on the bodywork to also make the styling more attactive" he concluded.

NissanVolh.jpg

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Well you really had me going there for a minute. Thank goodness for CarZin and vdiv, LOL. "Tres drole" as our friend statik would say.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Had me too, LOL.

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything Leaf owners in hot climates are asking for:

• A battery range estimator that works very, very well
  • A more aggressive battery thermal management system
  • Engineering and software that prevent 'cooking' the battery by keeping a 30% buffer
  • An 8 years/100k miles warranty
  • The highest owner satisfaction ratings the automotive industry has ever seen for a new car
  • Numerous awards for innovative engineering
  • Attractive styling (OK, I threw that in. Few can claim the Leaf is stylish)

In short: the want a Chevy Volt. We tend to take the above list as a given. Not so with Nissan Leaf owners, they can only ask and plead with Nissan and hope that someday Nissan will deliver. Think hard before buying a Leaf.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
LMAO the nail has been hit on the head.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
You had me too. Laughs.

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your forgot to mention that they want the Vleaf to cost the same as the Leaf. That's the rub.
I heard several "I would be willing to pay more" from the Leaf town hall participants. Kind of like what I did with my 240V EVSE. I went the less expensive route first, got burned by the SPX 1 year warranty, and now am spending more on a better, more capable unit from Siemens. Should-a, would-a. The Leaf owners should-a bought a Volt.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I find the topic to be funny because a year ago GM offered to buy back any Volt that the owner was not satisfied with. The owners that turned in their Volts was statistically insignificant.

I wonder how many Leaf owners would turn in their cars if Nissan gave them the option?

If I bought a Leaf I would be very upset that I had to spend 2 hours of my life plus travel time to get the attention of Nissan

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Seriously good range estimator.

I have noticed when in regular CD mode, when you get to 0 miles on the range estimator, the Volt seems to give you a wee bit more, and then still just a weeeee bit more, as if to say "I'm trying to help you out here, Are you almost to your destination yet??" Classic Volt under promise and over deliver.

But on Mountain Mode, right when you hit 0, it says "F$ck it, you want gas? Here it is baby!"

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Looks like Vicki and Sonic "plugged in" together a few times and VLeaf - literally a Leaf/Volt "hybrid" - is the result. Maybe Sonic wasn't so "wilted" after all!;)

Sonic Leaf and Vicki Volt discuss Leaf battery issues
Whoa, did I miss something? Nissan expects a Leaf owner to drive no more than 7500 miles per year? That's the extent of the warranty? 20 miles/day, really?

If so, the Leaf owners are in worse shape than I thought. I'm not even at 2 years and have 25k miles on my Volt. My Volt puts on about 60 miles/day, 5 days a week.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts