GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
21,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new batteries will achieve an ultra-high energy density of 360 Wh/kg. We believe that the battery cells will be supplied by CATL

This would seem to be huge news if they pull it off.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
This is the first time I've seen an actual target date for solid state batteries.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Meh
Nio = failure

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Looking forward to seeing how they make out with it. Really just vapourware until it happens. Nio may or may not be around in the long term but if CATL is supplying the battery then others will no doubt be doing the same.

·
Administrator
21,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Production scaled solid state would/will be a game changer. I wonder what the cons will be? Price initially?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
A competitor announcing a commercialized leap in battery tech should have impacted Tesla stock, after all, they've staked their near future on a scaled up version of what they already use 2170 -> 4680 wet electrolyte Li cells.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
This is the first time I've seen an actual target date for solid state batteries.
Toyota is 2021 for their solid state. The question is the quality of manufacture of initial batches as everybody rushes to get them out/catch up. If they solve the problems, can be produced in quantity and quality, they will be a game changer and everybody will have to use them so they aren't "old tech".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts