GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am slowly getting to drive this car more. Drove on the freeway before dawn.
  • The lights from cars in the opposite direction is causing a Prismatic light which takes a large round space. Even the st light causes the Prismatic round effect but due to the angle it didn't bother me. My other cars doesn't do this Prismatic effect! Any tips?
  • The glasses become wet easily though the HVAC was on on Eco mode at 72 deg. Turn the Widow defroster on?

BTW, had the wheel alignment done - wheel is holding on to the road well that I can take the hands off the steering!
My car has 66k/2014. Is this a keeper (with all the battery concerns)? The shop said this car is maintenance free and know of a company has 10 of this in their fleet - when I asked for mileage, he seems be guessing but said 100k.

MPG: 29/9.3kW and 36.4/0.92gal :: 3.12m/kW and 39.6mpg
  • 9.3kW was used before switching to gas - is this expected given HVAC was on? This car showed 48 miles range in the summer but now shows 40 or 39.
  • better mpg on return perhaps car got warmed up on electric mode?
  • any indication on the battery or car's health?

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Use the defroster.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
  • The lights from cars in the opposite direction is causing a Prismatic light which takes a large round space. Even the st light causes the Prismatic round effect but due to the angle it didn't bother me. My other cars doesn't do this Prismatic effect! Any tips?
Wild guess is that the inside of the windshield hasn't been properly cleaned in a long time. Chemicals escape the plastics and settle on the inside of the glass and form a film. It's a pain to reach all the way around without a tool, and you need a cleaner that dissolves the goo. I use Invisible Glass because... it works, and the first and only can I bought came in a kit with a tool for reaching all the very distant nooks of the very sloped windshield.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 90k+ Miles
886 Posts
Rain-X used properly does a good job at making quick work of any exterior moisture, and yes use the defroster when needed.

At that age, I would be using an OBDII reader to monitor the battery health. Performing a search should answer any questions related to this.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Even the normal “upper vents” (not defrost) setting on my volt put a sizable fog at the bottom of my windshield when using A/C.

Previous comment for Rain-X is good for the exterior, but there is a separate product for interior:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
For cleaning the inside of windshield to get rid of interior plastic condensate, I use Autoglym glass polish. It goes on as a cream and when it dries (quickly), you wipe it off as a powder with clean rag.
Autoglym | Car Glass Polish

·
Registered
35 Posts
  • The glasses become wet easily though the HVAC was on on Eco mode at 72 deg. Turn the Widow defroster on?

BTW, had the wheel alignment done - wheel is holding on to the road well that I can take the hands off the steering!
My car has 66k/2014. Is this a keeper (with all the battery concerns)? The shop said this car is maintenance free and know of a company has 10 of this in their fleet - when I asked for mileage, he seems be guessing but said 100k.

MPG: 29/9.3kW and 36.4/0.92gal :: 3.12m/kW and 39.6mpg
  • 9.3kW was used before switching to gas - is this expected given HVAC was on? This car showed 48 miles range in the summer but now shows 40 or 39.
  • better mpg on return perhaps car got warmed up on electric mode?
  • any indication on the battery or car's health?
I have a 2014 with 101K miles. I bought it in 2017 with 29K on it. The original owner never charged the car- he ran it as a gas hybrid. It's lifetime MPG was 38.Since I have owned it that car seems to have a condensation issue. It's not especially humid in the mountains of WNC and I can find no leaking gaskets. The carpets do not seam damp but it often has moisture on the windshield when I leave at 5:30am for my 40 mile commute. I just run the defroster and the rear defroster if it's especially bad. In the summer I arrive at work with KWs to spare. Now (it was 32 this morning) I am getting 29.5 miles on the battery. Lithium works way better when it's warm. I only have level 1 at home. I think the car can warm up it's batteries but I wonder if that takes Level 2.

I've owned the car 4 years and love it. The local dealers suck (to be kind). To get service I have to drive past 2 other dealers to go 60 miles away to get the only one with EV trained mechanics. I plan to drive the car till the batteries die then just drive my new hybrid Maverick (it is ever gets delivered!).

Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts