GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 miles still showing on the estimated ev range, but alas, I got home and needed to plug in so I could head out later. Would love to have seen how far I could have stretched those last "2". Charge started out with an estimated 81 mile range.

Pretty happy with the gas mileage as well.

20160618_133658_resized.jpg

Electric driving was in 30-50mph zones, and driving around town(s). Highway numbers were mostly @65 mph, but across some really heavy terrain.

This car continues to amaze.

Best,
Rick

·
Registered
112 Posts
I 2nd that. Last week I drove into DC during rush hour, so it was mostly low-speed stop and go traffic. Started out with 68 estimated miles. When I parked in DC, after a 30-mile drive, the range estimate was still at 53. But....... the drive home was at 65-70 mph and (with a slightly different route) I ended up back home with about 3 miles on the estimate and 63 total miles driven. Moral of the story? Speed kills range.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Impressive, I would love to get my hands on a Gen II Volt, I believe I'm a pretty good Volt driver and living here in the "flatlands" one can really wring out some great AER numbers.

·
Registered
251 Posts
81 miles? Wow. Can hardly wait to get one.

The 53 range number must be for people who simply don't try.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The EV estimate was 81. That's not what I got in actual drrving. I've had the EV estimate as high as 85, but the estimate is really meaningless much of the time.

Had I totally drained the battery, I would have gotten at least 75, perhaps 76 actual miles. I'm still happy about that. This is the best I've ever gotten. But a lot of it depends on the grade of the road you are on, how fast you are going etc.

Best,
Rick

·
Registered
67 Posts
The EV estimate was 81. That's not what I got in actual drrving. I've had the EV estimate as high as 85, but the estimate is really meaningless much of the time.

Had I totally drained the battery, I would have gotten at least 75, perhaps 76 actual miles. I'm still happy about that. This is the best I've ever gotten. But a lot of it depends on the grade of the road you are on, how fast you are going etc.

Best,
Rick
Maybe a better number (than looking at an estimate) might be the actual miles/kwh. My best ACTUAL is 5 mile/kwh with a terrain factor of -1 showing which ends in 75 miles before the ICE starts up. Seems using actual instead of estimated should be a common goal? This is gathered from the info screen before the next charge is started. My ICE generally starts up when the battery is down 14.5 kwh.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe a better number (than looking at an estimate) might be the actual miles/kwh. My best ACTUAL is 5 mile/kwh with a terrain factor of -1 showing which ends in 75 miles before the ICE starts up. Seems using actual instead of estimated should be a common goal? This is gathered from the info screen before the next charge is started. My ICE generally starts up when the battery is down 14.5 kwh.
If I use 14.5 as the endpoint, based on the actual miles traveled and the number of kwh already "burned" I'd have come out at 77 miles. However, if I had used the last of the battery power going 15 mph around my town, it's possible that I could have squeezed more than 2 more miles out.

Anyway, we're nitpicking here. Bottom line is that this was an amazing 335 mile ride, both on the battery and the ICE!

:D

Best,
Rick

·
Registered
139 Posts
We go about 76 on the highway, which is about average traffic speed around here. Drove about 350 miles over the weekend and averaged about 40 mpg on gas. Probably half of it was freeway driving and the other half was at 60 on windy back roads. Impressive.

·
Registered
322 Posts
81 miles? Wow. Can hardly wait to get one.

The 53 range number must be for people who simply don't try.
Not really. That's about what I average. It depends on your driving. You can try all you want, if your commute includes travel on 65mph hilly roadways, you're not going to get 81 miles on a charge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts