GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I kind of stumbled upon this and when I searched here I really didn't find anything good describing it.. Had to google a bit more..

I left the car for 2+ weeks in the home garage, locked, with OEM charger plugged in. Came home, unplugged the charger without key fob and without unlocking - alarm goes off. Ok that's really annoying when it's in the home garage. Next thing I notice an email comes in with OnStar Theft alarm notification.

For my house I designed and put in a similar home alarm notification system but I have it log on a server and send SMS to my mobile with very detailed alarm notification in plain English (not alarm code). Fantastic feature so I wondered why OnStar doesn't do this - why just email?

Went to my OnStar settings and I see my volt does have SMS notification capabilities. Not as detailed as my home alarm but at least now it alerts me via SMS. My other Chevy wth OnStar and my other GM both do not have this, only my MY17 Volt!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Unfortunately, I only receive email and not text notifications although I have enabled both under notification settings. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Unfortunately, I only receive email and not text notifications although I have enabled both under notification settings. Anyone else experiencing this issue?
In my experience, the OnStar SMS gateway just isn't very reliable or timely. Email notifications aren't really reliable either, but they're still faster/better than the SMS notifications that seem to run about 60% delivered. (Had mine set up to notify for charge complete, so I'd had a pretty consistent point of expectation of when things should happen, and they only mostly did. Turned it off when learning how unreliable it was and that I wasn't really doing anything with the information anyway.)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I turned off mine as well, simply because if it is plugged in at the Zoo parking lot and someone decides to unplug it to charge their car I don't want the alarm going off.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
First time that happened with my ELR, I cracked open the manual and disabled the feature. I only charge at home, so, not needed.

Since version 3.0 of the myCadillac app, notification have been working better for me. Well enough that I am no longer complaining. However, if the car is in the garage (aluminumized roofing and aluminum doors) the app and car don't talk very well.

I don't see why local WiFi couldn't be used for communication that close. They are already getting there with phones that can act as a key. Such as Lyft rental testing. (That might be Bluetooth though.) All that is needed is ability for the car to talk Internet with some other method than cell data.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts