GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Story BY JOHN VOELCKER in 'Green Car Reports'

Small and startup companies often resort to attention-getting publicity to further their causes.
Occasionally they get their wrist slapped for overreaching.
And that's what happened to Tesla Motors [NSDQ:TSLA] yesterday.

In a statement both on its website and the SaferCar.gov site, the National Highway Traffic SafetyAdministration issued a rare counter to a Tesla press release that had touted the uniformly five-star safety ratings of its Model S electric sport sedan.

complete story at:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...esla-over-non-existent-5-4-star-safety-rating

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I'm not so sure. Did the NTSA response actually deny Tesla's claim?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Tesla scored 5 stars across the board.
Tesla was provided a VSS score of 5.4, this is true.

Tesla did not claim they got more than 5 stars and they specifically stated that the VSS score was the highest ever awarded. If this is not true, then Tesla should be sanctioned.
So, which car scored higher? Unfortunately I have found little on how this is calculate and nothing about the actual VSS scores of other cars.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Volt scored 5 stars too, but i never heard GM say much about it.

My 2011 volt is the best car i have ever had, smoother, quieter and more fun than any other. No more ice for me

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
The Volt scored 5 stars too, but i never heard GM say much about it...
Which is yet another failure on GM's part if you ask me.
Just as a note, the 2013 Volt did get 5 stars overall, and side impact and in rollover tests.
It scored a very good 4 stars in front impact.

From what I have been seeing, the NHTSA, while it provides a VSS to manufacturers, isn't fond of manufacturer's actually using the VSS statistic. I would still like to see this statistic and its components.
I suspect the incredibly low rollover chance (5.7%) played a big roll in Tesla getting that 5.4 VSS.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Wouldn't Elon's head be a "Musk melon"? OK, stop your groaning you were thinking it too, just couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

It doesn't really suprise me as he is trying to promote his product and keep his company rolling. As all executives/owners of any company, what they say will most certainly be made to support thier business, or defend it.

·
Registered
761 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I like the not so veiled warning about misusing the test scores: "In addition, the agency has guidelines in place for manufacturers and advertising agencies to follow to ensure that accurate and consistent information is conveyed to the public." The most inciteful observation is this: Its corporate culture seems to include disregarding various rules and practices it doesn't like, though I think it's more that it disregards rules that doesn't benefit it.

I find it strange that so many people are so head over heels in love with everything Tesla.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I find it strange that a few people seem to have such a grudge against Tesla:)
Seriously, why so much Tesla hate here? Don't you guys get that Tesla's success is as beneficial for the Volt as the Volt's success is beneficial for Tesla? If you've got such animosity towards Tesla or Elon, you might want to examine your motives. And if you shorted their stock, take your lumps and move on.

As for the article, and rebuffing, there was nothing deceptive in Tesla's claims. They made it clear that NHTSA didn't issue a 5.4 star rating and that it was a calculated estimate based on the VSS. The NHTSA's guidelines are just that, guidelines. Not rules, laws, or contracts. Follow them or not, as you like.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I find it strange that a few people seem to have such a grudge against Tesla:)
Seriously, why so much Tesla hate here? Don't you guys get that Tesla's success is as beneficial for the Volt as the Volt's success is beneficial for Tesla? If you've got such animosity towards Tesla or Elon, you might want to examine your motives. And if you shorted their stock, take your lumps and move on.

As for the article, and rebuffing, there was nothing deceptive in Tesla's claims. They made it clear that NHTSA didn't issue a 5.4 star rating and that it was a calculated estimate based on the VSS. The NHTSA's guidelines are just that, guidelines. Not rules, laws, or contracts. Follow them or not, as you like.
One must wonder when a company has a great product, but then it seems to need to exaggerate the test results...WHY?...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
481 Posts
One must wonder when a company has a great product, but then it seems to need to exaggerate the test results...WHY?...:rolleyes:
They didn't exaggerate, they extrapolated. The Tesla press release stated that NHTSA doesn't issue above five stars and that their "5.4" rating was based on the VSS results.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
What exaggeration?

The Model S scored 5 stars in each test and overall. And Tesla said so.
The Model S has a VSS score of 5.4. And Tesla said so.

All companies trying to sell a product stress positive results and tend to not stress negative ones. As long as they don't mislead I see nothing wrong with it.

The only questionable part would be, is the VSS score of 5.4 truly better than any other tested vehicle?
The rating on rollover and the statistics on side impact intrusion I'd say the Model S did indeed score higher than any other car. However, without seeing the calculations it is difficult to tell.

My guess is the NHTSA simply doesn't want comparisons at a level finer than their broad 1-5 stars. I am surprised they offer the rollover percentage or vehicles in their rollover test if that is the case though.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
This kind of reminds me of the Volts 230 MPG claim, after running the EPA test course designed for ICE's. Some fanatics insisted that this meant that GM promised the Volt would get 230 MPG when running on gasoline...

The EPA responded to that claim as well if I remember..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts