GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish I had a heated steering wheel. I don't. Wearing gloves or mittens is fine. I've tried several brands of battery powered heated gloves and have been disappointed with most. I recent purchased heated glove liners from powerinmotion.ca. These gloves are different in the sense that that are 12 volts so by purchasing an accessory harness the gloves can be plugged into the cigarette lighter. It is a bit awkward driving with the gloves plugged into the harness but the comfort factor far outweighs any inconvenience. The gloves are pricey, but like I said, I've tried other brands and most broke within a year or didn't work very good from the beginning. Even though these are glove liners and designed to be worn inside actual gloves, for driving they work great as is. If you live in cold country and are looking for some way to keep your hands warm, these are the ticket. They have 3 heat settings and when in high your hands literally get hot.

·
Administrator
21,021 Posts
My wife LOVES the heated wheel on our Bolt EV, but my 2011 Volt needs gloves :(

There are also heated steering wheel covers that plugin to a 12V outlet. Might be less hassle that a pair of gloves each with wires running to the outlet?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Normal gloves work fine for me, but I find the ones that are touch screen compatible are helpful for some of the Volt's controls.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm so glad my Psychologist helped me get over my fear of turning the heat on in my Volt. Now I only need my mittens until the cabin warms up. Then I take the mittens off and push buttons and turn dials on the dash with abandon. It's also easier to flash the bird without mittens on.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I'm so glad my Psychologist helped me get over my fear of turning the heat on in my Volt. Now I only need my mittens until the cabin warms up. Then I take the mittens off and push buttons and turn dials on the dash with abandon. It's also easier to flash the bird without mittens on.
What is his/her number? I have almost overcome the fear on my own. May an extra push is needed. :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
You guys are funny. I thought the hyper-milers would have moved on by now, LOL.

I heat my car when I'm cold and I turn on the A/C when I'm too warm. Comfort level all the way.

With that being said - I thought that heated steering wheels were silly. Until I used mine the other night. Loooove it! Apparently the next cool thing that you never thought you wanted? The air cooled seats in the new BMWs. Those are really nice!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I've got arthritis in one hand that really kicks up in cold weather and if I were to keep the car hot enough to make my hand happy I'd have to be in shorts and get about 6 miles on the battery :p

Therefore I have an ongoing review of the heated steering wheel cover I bought a while back.

The truth is I have mixed feelings. What I bought is obviously better than a lot of the crap out there, but it's temperature sensing is somewhat quirky so sometimes it shuts off or stays cool when I wish it would just give me some damned heat but the rest of the time it's pretty great with bare hands on the wheel and sure beats my old habit of keeping one of these zippo warmers in my pocket and sticking my hand in there frequently to re-warm it.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
...so you still have mittens and would benefit from a heated steering wheel ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Good to know. I certainly get enough opportunities fro the one finger wave...

·
1,027 Posts
The ELR has a heated steering wheel. Won't get much use in FL. I turned it on and it works, that's about it.

The seats are heated and padded more and nowhere near as powerful than my volts. The 2015 volt heated seats on max would melt your butt and lower back. The ELR on max is just enough to not make the seat cold. I checked the passenger seat too same, so it's not a bad seat warmer.

I rarely use the heated seats, but it is nice on the handful of cool 40 degree mornings before the sun gets it up to 80 by noon.

Ventilated seats would be nice. Haven't been scorched since I got the windows tinted and the ELR precondition seems to be much more powerful than the volt. Certainly much louder externally. Cools the car down very quickly where the volt would need the entire amount of time to cool down, if at all.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I recent purchased heated glove liners from powerinmotion.ca.
I second these and have had them for 2-3 years now ... although so far this fall I've been using the heat in the car and paying the gas penalty. For heated insoles I recommend Thermocell ... $100 but worth it.

I swear I have this condition so my fingers and toes get cold easily: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud_syndrome

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I second these and have had them for 2-3 years now ... although so far this fall I've been using the heat in the car and paying the gas penalty. For heated insoles I recommend Thermocell ... $100 but worth it.

I swear I have this condition so my fingers and toes get cold easily: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud_syndrome
My wife has that. If you had it believe me you'd know. Cold...no Frozen and blue...yes

·
Registered
525 Posts
What about transfering the steering wheel from Gen 2 to Gen1?...I wonder the cost. In You Tube Anthony Vigil explains the transfer from Buick Verano to the Volt...but I think you will lose the Lane Alert and Collision Alert... everything for warm hands!.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts