GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure why this car is so newsworthy or exciting. GM had an electric car in the 70s that they destroyed and in the 70s we had a Dodge Omni that got 50 mpg. Now the US should be excited over cars that get 36-40! I don't get it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm not sure why this car is so newsworthy or exciting. GM had an electric car in the 70s that they destroyed and in the 70s we had a Dodge Omni that got 50 mpg. Now the US should be excited over cars that get 36-40! I don't get it.
The Volt is not an EV1. It's got room for 4 plus cargo and essentially unlimited range as long as you can buy gasoline, PLUS it has all-electric capability when you're driving under 40 miles between charges, PLUS it meets 2008 crash and emissions standards and will be a mass-produced vehicle.

You couldn't sell a '70s Dodge Omni as a new car in the US unless it sold for $3500. Also, that pile of crap wouldn't meet current emissions unless it was being towed by a modern pickup truck with the Omni's engine off.

You're entitled to your opinion of the Volt's worth, but don't pretend a '76 Dodge Omni is any sort of real-world competition for it, and don't pretend that the e-flex platform is nothing different than an $80k (in '90s dollars) EV1.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts