GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Nice article. It suggests a dollar figure loss for each prius car produced in the early days. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Here we go again:

The four-door i MiEV boasts a range of 160 kilometers per each full charge (compared with 40 for a GM Volt),
They just don't get it, but then I guess the point of the article was to convince the reader that the Japanese are super clever and forward thinking and that American's are bumbling incompetent oafs. We sure do love to hate ourselves in this country. It was a nice puff piece for the Japanese, filled with lots of "aims to", "should have", "expects to be", etc.

Bottom line; at the end of 2011 we'll do a count of how many Volts are on the American road and how many Clarities and Mievs are on the road. These two shining examples of Japanese ingenuity are loaded with pitfalls that will make them very unlikely to make any impact on the automotive market. I believe the Volt has a very good chance of making a real immediate revolution of the auto market. Something this Newsweek article's author seems to not be able to grasp.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Another gem:

Even slow-moving GM plans to debut the plug-in hybrid Volt in 2010, but it is racing from behind against Japanese rivals that work in often exclusive national supply networks, as they have for decades.
Slow moving? You mean the company that produced electric cars 15 years ago? You mean the company that is producing the most advanced green car on the market?

Whatever happened to journalism?

Its clear this author either has never thought about or doesn't care about the implications of a hydrogen distribution chain, the limitations of an electric only vehicle or the limitations of conventional hybrids.

If they did, they would realize GM is anything but slow moving.

·
Registered
350 Posts
" ....For example, superefficient batteries might store electricity generated at times of low demand for use during peak hours. Batteries could be used to change the infrastructure of the energy industry not just in Japan but also throughout Asia. Fumikazu Kitagawa, an auto-sector consultant at Nomura Research Institute, believes that combining the new generation of batteries with solar-power generators will completely revolutionize household energy systems. "This sort of system will be available at reasonable cost, and fairly soon," says Kitagawa... "

I have been saying this ever since I joined the forum. The batteries are not for automobiles only.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts