GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sold.

I got my car recently and have 1200-1500 miles on them. I'd like to change tires and so intend to sell the factory tires. Anyone interested? and for what price?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Hmm, tempting for a rainy day, but I don't really have the money to spare *cough* *cough* at the moment. Also, it depends on need, but, typically, even mildly used tires only go for about 50-70% of original value. $300-400 is probably a reasonable price to ask.

·
Registered
467 Posts
What will you buy to replace the factory tires? Let us know how your mileage changes.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I am leasing for 3 years and might need a set at the end of the lease (maybe not). Only problem is, new ones online are $500 a set and probably about $80 for the install (at the most). By the time I need them they might be at costco for even less. I would have to store them somewhere for 3 years, and I don't want to drive from L.A. to SD, just for tires. So for me, they are worth $100 tops. Maybe you can put them on Craigslist.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Ladogaboy, 1500 miles is at just the break in period for better mileage; shouldn't it be more then new? ;-) kidding. kidding.

@Adarondax, not sure what I'm replacing with yet but will keep everyone posted regarding mileage changes. With my LEAF I changed to Michelin MXM4 tires and they made a huge difference in handling and not much difference in efficiency ~ maybe 1-3%

@Jerry Garcia, hopefully you won't need a replacement depending on how much you drive.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
@Ladogaboy, 1500 miles is at just the break in period for better mileage; shouldn't it be more then new? ;-) kidding. kidding.
Heh, maybe! Ultimately, they are worth what someone is willing to pay for them!

Oh, and I'll second the interest in what you are looking for as replacements. Out of curiosity, what are you looking for out of replacements? Better handling? Softer/quieter ride? I can't imagine economy, as you aren't likely to gain back the difference in price.

Another thing you might want to consider is separating the tires (kind of a hassle, and not ideal), but I could see Volt owners more interested in a full spare that they can tuck away in the garage for long road trips and such.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thing you might want to consider is separating the tires (kind of a hassle, and not ideal), but I could see Volt owners more interested in a full spare that they can tuck away in the garage for long road trips and such.
On my LEAF, the change in tires made a noticeable difference in handling and stop distance. I'm not sure that it will do the same for the Volt because handling is already good but I think stop distance will improve since the Volt factory tires are low rolling resistance tires. Of course, the draw back by not using these will be a decrease in fuel efficiency but I'm hoping not by much.

Separating so that people can have a spare would be fine by me. In fact, with the LEAF I should the wheel and tire so that people can have a ready made spare waiting. I suppose I can do the same with the Volt but I kinda like the Volt wheels.

Anyone want just one tire to keep as a spare?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Unless you really want other rims, I'd keep the stock Volt rims. They're lighter than any aftermarket replacements available right now, and replacing the TPMS would be a pain.

You might have some options for increasing performance without taking too much of a hit on mileage. I've had good experiences with Michelin MXM4s. Just make sure you get the LRR version.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had good experiences with Michelin MXM4s. Just make sure you get the LRR version.
Me too - this is what I replaced my LEAF tires with and they made a big difference in handling and feedback but I didn't get the LRR version. I think if I were to choose MXM4s again that I'll not get LRR and take a little hit in efficiency.

Anyone interested in buying factory Volt tires? Still not quite 1500 miles on them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts