GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got mine yesterday was wondering if this adapter would work to decrease my charging time?

AC WORKS 4-Prong 220-Volt Plug to 120-Volt 15/ 20Amp Household Female Adapter Cord (4-Prong Dryer Outlet to Household W/Breaker)

Its on amazon...Thanks

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
That should work, however you might want to attach a label warning since you can plug anything into it with a standard 120V plug. Bad things happen when you plug a 120V device into 220V plug.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Not according to the seller's description in the Q&A. The seller is saying the two 125V outlets are using only a single hot each from the 220V plug/circuit. Basically, this adapter takes a 220V outlet and splits it into a pair of 125V outlets.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Just buy a cheap L2 on amazon and be safe and get the full 3.3 kW of charging the Volt is capable of.

A 120V outlet around the house with 240V on it is an disaster waiting to happen.:mad:

I have this one and it's been flawless for +2 years. $170: https://smile.amazon.com/Zencar-100-240V-Portable-Electric-Compatible/dp/B075GJK2S9/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=L2+evse&qid=1588687110&sr=8-11

Then you can keep the L1 EVSE in the trunk for charging opportunities when away from home.

Don't buy a PHEV and then go cheap on home charging.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK Norton,thanks. I was wondering how to tell the difference between just a 220v to 120 adapter and one that would still give the extra power needed to surpass the stock unit. I saw someone was making that conversion,Chris...but no active links seen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bad thing is I had my electrician install that seperate dedicated 220 volt nema 14-30 dryer plug for future volt charging...But I guess 12 amps is max charge right? Maybe it doesnt matter then that the Zencar device charges with 110v hook-up.Any other options?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bad thing is I had my electrician install that separate dedicated 220 volt nema 14-30 dryer plug for future volt charging...But I guess 12 amps is max charge right? Maybe it doesn't matter then that the Zencar device charges with 110v hook-up. Any other options?
The short answer is: just put a different connector on your DUOSIDA EVSE to use it at 220 volts and it will work at up to 16 amps.

I have this same DUOSIDA EVSE and having been using it for 3 years. I got mine on ebay (lots of resellers of the DUOSIDA EVSE's there) and not from Zencar. This charger works fine on 110 or 220 volt circuits.

This guy did a pretty good review https://www.amazon.com/vdp/47ae4cc1b57c4097b7df49422e9cae7f

FYI, while an EVSE has a max voltage and current handling capability, it's the charger in the car that actually controls the current flow. The EVSE is basically a GFCI with a control circuit that communicates to the car what the EVSE is capable of.
To be clear, the Chevy Volt (without the upgraded 6.6 KW charger only available on a few Gen 2 Volt's) will charge at 8 or 12 Amps (user selectable) on 110 volts, or ~15 amps on 220 volts. {i.e. ignoring Power Factor: 3300 watts / 220 volts = 15 amps}

You can buy the DUOSIDA EVSE with many different plugs on it, however, at 15+ amps the plug/socket will get warm and even dangerous if there aren't really good connections in the plug and socket. (I've seen stories of people burning up NEMA-5 or NEMA-6 sockets.}

For this reason, I replaced the plug that came on mine with a NEMA L14-30 (round locking style with a 30 amp rating) and installed a matching circuit and plug myself. I made an adapter to a NEMA 5-15 for those few times I want to charge remotely on 110 volts (at 8 or 12 amps).

If you don't like the round NEMA L14-30, choose the connector that makes the most sense for you. However, for constant current (15+ amps) the larger connector is a good choice. It has larger contacts and thus should have lower resistance and therefore produce less waste heat - which is both safer and more efficient. If yours still gets more then 'warm to the touch', you should open the connectors and check all connections again.

Last, I use mine outdoors and while it has a good water resistance rating, it WILL leak to some degree and then take some time to 'dry out' before it will work without causing intermittent problems with ground faults. I suggest you cover it, or mount it on the wall outside. That was enough for me to avoid the problems.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Bad thing is I had my electrician install that seperate dedicated 220 volt nema 14-30 dryer plug for future volt charging...But I guess 12 amps is max charge right? Maybe it doesnt matter then that the Zencar device charges with 110v hook-up.Any other options?
Your 240V circuit with NEMA 14-30 receptacle is capable of supporting Volt Level 2 charging at 15/16 amps. Just select a Level 2 EVSE (what many call the charging station or charging cord) that has the 14-30 plug and all is good.

The stock Level 1 EVSE (the charging cord) that comes with the 2017 - 2019 Volt is only rated for use at 120V at either 8 or 12 amps current but this EVSE will also work when connected using non-standard wiring to a 240V circuit. If you choose to use the stock charging station cord in this way the maximum current is still limited to 12 amps.

Remember that there is an 80% rule for continuous use electrical devices such as an EVSE. 80% of a standard 15 amp circuit is 12 amps. 80% of a 20 amp 240V circuit is 16 amps. 16 amps at 240V is the maximum current drawn by the 2017 Volt so while you can connect the Volt to a charging cord that is rated at higher power the 2017 Volt will never draw more that 16 amps at 240V. (The maximum continuous use current for the NEMA 14-30 circuit is 24 amps at 240V, this is well above the 2017 Volt's 240V charging requirement.)

Minimize the use of any plug adapters, extension cords (extension cords are specifically not recommended by GM.)

Minimize the number of times you plug and unplug the EVSE from the wall receptacle as this can weaken the connection. Don't let the charging cord hang from the wall receptacle as the plug is not designed to support the weight of the EVSE electronics package.

Investigate 20 amp rated Level 2 EVSE from brands such as (AmazingE, Duosida and Zencar.) These will be able to charge your Volt at the required 240V/16 amp. (The 2017 Volt always defaults to charge at 240V and 16 amps when connected to a 240V circuit, only if the EVSE is limited to less than 16 amps will the charging amperage be reduced.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts