GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone figured out how to access the display software? At some level there are some graphic assets that I'd really like to replace to reskin it so my state-of-the-art 2015 Volt doesn't have a dashboard from a 1999 e-com website! Heck, the Star Trek: Next Generation LCARS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCARS) UI was designed in 1987 and looks more modern than the Volt display.

If anyone has the tech knowledge to get into the presentation layer of the Volt software and edit it, I would gladly post some alternative skins worthy of the tech in the car.

PS - I've done a lot of design work for various embedded systems, though if any were QNX based, it's been so many versions ago I wouldn't have any knowledge of the new one. But just sayin', with a little technical guidance I am experienced tweaking both graphic assets and code-based visual styles in similar systems.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
It's offical.

Every question about the Volt has been asked.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Has anyone figured out how to access the display software? At some level there are some graphic assets that I'd really like to replace to reskin it so my state-of-the-art 2015 Volt doesn't have a dashboard from a 1999 e-com website! Heck, the Star Trek: Next Generation LCARS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCARS) UI was designed in 1987 and looks more modern than the Volt display.

If anyone has the tech knowledge to get into the presentation layer of the Volt software and edit it, I would gladly post some alternative skins worthy of the tech in the car.

PS - I've done a lot of design work for various embedded systems, though if any were QNX based, it's been so many versions ago I wouldn't have any knowledge of the new one. But just sayin', with a little technical guidance I am experienced tweaking both graphic assets and code-based visual styles in similar systems.

Nope, the resources are encrypted ... you'll need to find something else to play with

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rats! I kind of figured if it was doable, someone would be doing it, but figured I would ask. Thank for the quick reply, off to hack something else...

·
Registered
562 Posts
While I wouldn't mind having an LCARS skin for some things, I don't particularly consider that to be a very modern look/feel.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
You're better off spending the time building yourself a L2 EVSE.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While I wouldn't mind having an LCARS skin for some things, I don't particularly consider that to be a very modern look/feel.
Right! By definition almost 30 years old, yet still more modern looking than the Volt controls. (Google "flat design," a stupid term but one that will turn up a lot of more modern, non-skeumorphic design trends in electronic displays.)

I wouldn't have wanted an LCARS skin myself; just an example.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
The Volt is not an open source Arduino project. It is a car. One line of code that has a defect can KILL someone. (CRASH means something very different in a car or airplane vs a computer.) I don't think car manufacturers are going to be eager to expose themselves to the accident & warranty liability that comes with open source hacking on their firmware. Not going to happen any time soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts