GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just wanna say whats up. Got my 2017 Red Siren Volt few weeks ago and lovin' it!
Thanks for this forum I already learned how to make an adapter for the EVSE for L2 charging. Saved me $$$:D
I drive to work quite a distance (40mi) and this car suites my needs. My workplace has charging stations (nrg eVgo) but got disappointed using them. It charges a fee everytime you use it, around 5 bucks then a buck everyhour your car is plugged in. Thats 10 bucks a day. No thanks! Its good thing this car has other option, its called gas! It'll take less than a gallon to get me home, less than 3 bucks vs 10 to charge at work. I'll just recharge at home. I'm very impressed with this car, glad I got one.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
Car charging stations need to find another way to monetize the costs of the charging station and electricity. $10 for a $2 charge seems excessive. But depending on the installation, it probably cost them $6-13K to install the commercial EVSE with networking, so they have to make their investment back somehow. So folks with leafs and other BEVs are captive audiences as they might not have a choice but to charge.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Car charging stations need to find another way to monetize the costs of the charging station and electricity. $10 for a $2 charge seems excessive. But depending on the installation, it probably cost them $6-13K to install the commercial EVSE with networking, so they have to make their investment back somehow. So folks with leafs and other BEVs are captive audiences as they might not have a choice but to charge.
They're really there for the BEVs anyway. We've got other options. And the second five bucks a day seems to be just for *not* going out and moving the car after the charge is done.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
One way to monetize the presence of L2/L3 chargers is to locate them near places where one spends money. For example, there are free chargers at a Target near Fremont CA. I had to get a charge to make it home in my LEAF, so I stopped for a charge. They had an L2 which meant I had to spend at least an hour to add enough miles to drive home. So instead of waiting in the LEAF, I when into the store, looked around, bought some stuff and had a snack. Probably spent enough to cover the cost of the electricity consumed - maybe 4 kWh. It seems to me, that is the way to monetize the chargers, rather than the revenue from the electricity. There are a lot of L2/L3 chargers at Whole Foods here, so while charging they extract your money with expensive goods while you get a few dollars of electricity at most. Sounds like a winner for Whole Foods, especially when eVgo gets the revenue from the chargers.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
One way to monetize the presence of L2/L3 chargers is to locate them near places where one spends money. For example, there are free chargers at a Target near Fremont CA. I had to get a charge to make it home in my LEAF, so I stopped for a charge. They had an L2 which meant I had to spend at least an hour to add enough miles to drive home. So instead of waiting in the LEAF, I when into the store, looked around, bought some stuff and had a snack. Probably spent enough to cover the cost of the electricity consumed - maybe 4 kWh. It seems to me, that is the way to monetize the chargers, rather than the revenue from the electricity. There are a lot of L2/L3 chargers at Whole Foods here, so while charging they extract your money with expensive goods while you get a few dollars of electricity at most. Sounds like a winner for Whole Foods, especially when eVgo gets the revenue from the chargers.
Unfortunately no whole Goode within 100 miles of my location, in fact the only charging stations near me are at a community college (nowhere near shopping), a Nissan dealership, and a downtown parking deck where you pay $1.50 per hour anyway. They did just add a supercharger near our Meijer's store, so I guess if I ever buy a tesla, I'd be shopping there and eating Panda Express or ruby Tuesdays instead of going to target and eating chipotle, longhorn steakhouse, steak n' shake, chili's, red lobster, fazoli's, Applebee's, o'charlies. I personally think they put the supercharger a half mile too far away from the best shopping. I wish target would put in free chargers as I shop there all the time. But the gauntlet is thrown, if Walmart or Meijer puts in L2 chargers, they can change my shopping habits just like the Plenti rewards card has coerced me to buy gas at Exxon Mobil and Macy's.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Unfortunately no whole Goode within 100 miles of my location, in fact the only charging stations near me are at a community college (nowhere near shopping), a Nissan dealership, and a downtown parking deck where you pay $1.50 per hour anyway. They did just add a supercharger near our Meijer's store, so I guess if I ever buy a tesla, I'd be shopping there and eating Panda Express or ruby Tuesdays instead of going to target and eating chipotle, longhorn steakhouse, steak n' shake, chili's, red lobster, fazoli's, Applebee's, o'charlies. I personally think they put the supercharger a half mile too far away from the best shopping. I wish target would put in free chargers as I shop there all the time. But the gauntlet is thrown, if Walmart or Meijer puts in L2 chargers, they can change my shopping habits just like the Plenti rewards card has coerced me to buy gas at Exxon Mobil and Macy's.
I have often wondered how companies can monetize public chargers for a profit. Here is my back-of-the envelope analysis of the revenue stream from a DCFC. I have gained a lot of experience from using the eVgo DCFC at Whole Foods near my home. Previously, I had a $14.95 monthly eVgo subscription which entitled me to use their DCFC chargers for $0.10/min and no connect charge. Other eVgo plans include a $4.95/session connect cost, and either $0.10/min or $0.20/min, depending on the plan. Because I also have a Volt, I ended my subscription.

With my observations at the Whole Foods with eVgo DCFC near my home, I came up with the following. If we assume 10 DCFC charging sessions/day/charger for 30 min/session, or total of 300 min at $0.10/min, this is equal to $30/day or $10,950/year (365 days). The number of charging session is very conservative since data from eVgo at another Whole Foods (Fremont CA) indicated more usage. Quoting from the info on the eVgo website*:

“The Whole Foods Market Fremont location is the busiest DC fast charger in the national EVgo Network. In September of this year (2015) alone it provided 1,452 DC fast charge sessions. On average that amounts to 45 sessions a day at that Freedom Station® location.”

There are two Chademo plugs at the Fremont location, so each has 22.5 sessions/day. If the DCFCs are used at this rate and 30 min/session for 365 days, the revenue is $24,637/year. Also this does not factor in any subscription or connect cost. This is looking more attractive, but this is a situation where the maximum DCFC events are experienced, so other sites will provide less revenue. The DCFCs at Whole Foods are convenient for passing time in the store, but buyer beware. Many other DCFCs are not so convenient, located at dealerships or near office buildings.

*https://www.nrgevgo.com/about/news/evgo-whole-foods-markets-partner-california-reduce-carbon-ev-fast-charging/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts