GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just leased a 2017 Volt LT. It is setup to charge at 8 amps immediately. If I plug in a level-2 (240v) charging cable does the car automatically detect the 240V and begin charging at the higher level-2 rate? Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just leased a 2017 Volt LT. It is setup to charge at 8 amps immediately. If I plug in a level 2 (240v) charging cable does the car automatically detect the 240V and begin charging at the higher level-2 rate? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
I just leased a 2017 Volt LT. It is setup to charge at 8 amps immediately. If I plug in a level 2 (240v) charging cable does the car automatically detect the 240V and begin charging at the higher level-2 rate? Thanks.
Yes, the 2017 Volt communicates with the EVSE (Level I or II) to determine voltage and the maximum amperage. The Level I EVSE that comes with the current 2017 Volt is limited to a maximum of 12 amps. It turns out that this specific model of EVSE can be used with a custom power cable adapter that enables the 2017 Volt's EVSE to be connected to a 240V outlet. This provides the benefit of quicker Level II charging, however it will still be limited to a maximum of 12 amps. The maximum Level II charging amperage that the Volt can draw is approx. 15 amps @ 240V so a dedicated Level II EVSE needs to be able to supply 16 amps and would be rated for and require a minimum of a 20 amp dedicated circuit. When installing a new 240V circuit many choose to future proof the 240V circuit by installing a 240V breaker, wiring and a receptacle (such as a NEMA 14-50R) rated for 50 amps. Just to confirm, when charging at 240V the Volt will charge at the maximum amperage supported by the Level II EVSE up to a maximum of 15 amps. E.g, if you connect the Volt to a Level II EVSE that is capable of 240V and 32 amps the Volt will still only draw 15 amps maximum. In the future you might own a plug-in vehicle that charges at up to 32 amps or more.

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you already have a dedicated 120v 20 amp circuit in your garage as I did, it can be converted to 240 20 amp for the cost of a breaker and a plug. Wire gauge is the same for both circuits. It can be a quick upgrade for a volt.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
EG: If you are charging at 120v, no matter which EVSE you're using, the car can request 8 amps. (Disregarding the 2011 and 2012 as being "not topical for Gen 2 forum") Further marked by Level 2 EVSEs often being able to supply as much as 40 amps, and the Volt never ever requesting anywhere near that. And we have experimenters on record here of building EVSEs that can lie about their supply availability, and the Volt can cheerfully negotiate a 240V 6-amp charge and use that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes

Like others have already stated, yes it will`--BUT on my '17 I had to go into the charge settings to tell the car to charge at 12 amps instead of the default 8. Also, after a month or 2 I got a message that 'using 12 amps to charge the car on a household circuit is different from using the circuit for other uses and would degrade the circuit' so it dropped the rate back to 8 amps! I changed that immediately & haven't gotten that message since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts