GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2013-10-24 06:09 UPDATE: I added another video (see end of message) titled, "Start Vehicle with Low Key Fob Battery"

Hi all,

I have started a Volt Quick Tips video collection. These free videos are for all owners/drivers, as well as for potential owners/drivers.

Each episode is a short tip (or tips) on how to use a specific Chevy Volt feature. Many episodes depict how I personally use a certain feature to further enhance my Volt driving experience.

The first video has been released and is titled, Power Gauge Usage. In this particular episode of Volt Quick Tips, I offer a look on how to help manage (and increase) your electric range by monitoring the power being used and the power being restored (regenerated) to the battery.

I have filmed a few other Volt Quick Tips videos and they are currently in post-production, with a release date of later this week.

Enjoy!

(click on images/links below)...

Power Gauge Usage:

Start Vehicle with Low Key Fob Battery:

·
Registered
878 Posts
The link works now - Great job! The DIC power flow gauge is my most-used driving tool, too. Are you working on one showing/explaining the DIC power flow gauge with the Volt in extended-range mode? The DIC green and yellow power hockey sticks become even more complex/interesting/informative. It's almost as good as a DashDAQ for understanding how MGA, MGB, the battery, and the engine interact in real-time to optimize extended-range performance in all driving situations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Power Gauge Video Questions..

Nice no nonsense video.
I use that gauge exclusively. The rotating leaf ball isn't as helpful.
Some information the I've always assumed, but maybe you or someone else could share any clarification.
1. From either side of the gauge, engine or battery.. Yellow is showing output power. In some cases, both sides will be contributing power together.
2. Green (only displayed on the battery side) is showing regenerated power.
3. The unit of measure is in Kilowatts. (I find this kind of hard to fathom..) When the reading is Green and 20. This is showing that 20 Kilowatts are being generated and put back into the battery at that moment. How is this calculated? My math says that it means roughly 80 Amps(!) are being directed back to the battery. Seriously?
4. PowerTrip, I noticed a steady flashing red light on your inset display. What is that??
5. Also, have you collected any data for actually driving in "L" vs "D"? Curious to know why you would regen more in this mode. After all, aren't you just easing up on the accelerator a little less than in the standard drive mode?

Thanks!
2013 Volt, now with 1200 miles :)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Nice no nonsense video.
I use that gauge exclusively. The rotating leaf ball isn't as helpful.
Some information the I've always assumed, but maybe you or someone else could share any clarification.
1. From either side of the gauge, engine or battery.. Yellow is showing output power. In some cases, both sides will be contributing power together.
3. The unit of measure is in Kilowatts. (I find this kind of hard to fathom..) When the reading is Green and 20. This is showing that 20 Kilowatts are being generated and put back into the battery at that moment. How is this calculated? My math says that it means roughly 80 Amps(!) are being directed back to the battery. Seriously?
4. PowerTrip, I noticed a steady flashing red light on your inset display. What is that??
5. Also, have you collected any data for actually driving in "L" vs "D"? Curious to know why you would regen more in this mode. After all, aren't you just easing up on the accelerator a little less than in the standard drive mode?

Thanks!
2013 Volt, now with 1200 miles :)
I don't have that gauge (it's not in the earlier models...2011 & 2012), so I can't answer your No. 1 & 2. No. 3 - the unit is kW's not amps. The EPA has determined/established that 1 gallon of gasoline = 33.7 kWHrs. If you want to understand the units read this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_per_gallon_gasoline_equivalent

No. 4 - I believe that the flashing red light is a direct result of his video recording. If it isn't then I too would like to know what is!

No. 5 - You are spot on with your statement. It is all a matter of preference, you can accomplish the exact same results in either setting. That said, I drive 99.9% of the time in L. The only time I don't is when there roads are covered with snow or ice.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice no nonsense video.
Thanks! :)

I don't drive much using the generator so I haven't noticed. (I haven't been to a gas station since December of 2012)

True

Sorry...I'm not an EE. :(

My apologies...that is the red "recording" LED on the front of the GoPro, being reflected by the instrument cluster screen. I forgot to turn it off--by default it blinks while recording. :(

My anecdotal answer is that (all other variables being the same) while you can start coasting in "D" to a stop sign must sooner than when in "L" (thus stop using kW earlier), that type of coasting doesn't regen as much (on the gauge) than when waiting a bit longer to coast in "L", where the coasting is more abrupt and pushes the regen gauge much higher. (if this makes sense).

Also, my brake pads seem to last longer with less brake dust on the wheels. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
No. 3 - the unit is kW's not amps.

Correct. However Watts are calculated as Current multiplied by Voltage. Since the battery is (roughly) 250v. -I've seen reports as high as 270 and down to 210
Therefore 20 Kw = 20,000 Watts
20,000 / 250v = 80Amps. Some small apartments and houses still only have 100Amp service.
I can see that it's only a matter of time before someone rips the motor out of a used up Volt and starts running their house with it! :)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
No. 3 - the unit is kW's not amps.

Correct. However Watts are calculated as Current multiplied by Voltage. Since the battery is (roughly) 250v. -I've seen reports as high as 270 and down to 210
Therefore 20 Kw = 20,000 Watts
20,000 / 250v = 80Amps. Some small apartments and houses still only have 100Amp service.
I can see that it's only a matter of time before someone rips the motor out of a used up Volt and starts running their house with it! :)
Where are you getting the HV Battery to be 250 volts? I thought the HV battery was 350 volts.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Great video, I've been using the Power Gauge since the salesman showed it to me, since I got the car 4 months ago.
I tend to average 44 miles but I'm heavier on the accelerator then you are.
I've told GM they need these kinds of videos, so bravo.

Tom

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Behind the Scenes

I had a request to show how I set up the cameras for the Volt Quick Tip video on the power gauge usage. Here's what it looked like behind the scenes.

I have two GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition video cameras, recording simultaneously. One camera is mounted on a Manfrotto tripod just behind the front seats. The other camera is mounted just forward of the steering wheel. My video editing software supports multi-camera post-production, which is how I have the inset video synchronized with the main video. Audio was captured using the Sony ECM-CS10 omni-directional lapel/lavalier microphone.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
462 Posts
Nicely done. You flatlanders have it easy.:rolleyes:. With our hills 42 miles is our best range.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts