GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I recently purchased a 2018 Volt Premier with ACC and absolutely love it. It's the best car that I have ever owned and purchasing this vehicle is one of the best decisions I've ever made.
But I do have some questions though that I was hoping you guys might be able to address:

1) Does driving in Sport mode actually hurt the EV range or is it just a matter of the acceleration being re-tuned but with no impact when it comes to range? And if it does hurt the range, how much is the impact?

2) Is it normal to get a lot of false warnings with the forward collision alert? And is there a way to reduce the number of false warnings?

3) Does the automatic braking safety feature actually work? Because for all the forward collision alerts I've experienced, there's never been a moment where I've noticed the car automatically brake (other than in ACC mode). And for obvious reasons, this is a feature that I don't want to test!

4) I know the ACC system uses radar. But does the camera by the rear view mirror work with the radar to assist with the ACC.... such as in monitoring the distance with the vehicle in front? Or, does the camera work solely to support only the lane keep assist feature?

Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
1. Yes, Sport mode will reduce range simply because more rapid acceleration (which translates to higher current draw from the battery) is less efficient. It would be difficult to assess just how much lost efficiency there is, as that depends on so many things related to your driving style when in Sport mode.

2. You can select from three different sensitivities for the ACC collision alert. My experience has been that in the most sensitive position (closest distance setting), I got several warnings per daily commute. I also would not call them "false" warnings, as in every instance, there was a reason for the alert. In the middle sensitivity position, I get 1-2 warnings per commute. In the lower sensitivity position (farthest distance), I got practically no alerts. Based on these observations, I selected the middle position, and therefore expect a few alerts (not "false" alerts!) every day.

3. Yes, the system will brake the car! I've only had this happen at low speed, but it's quite impressive. Please don't try to test it unless you have one of those balloon targets handy :)

4. Good question, and I'm not positive of the answer. Given that GM tags the camera capability with "low speed" braking, I would assume that it has some role, but the radar system is much more powerful. For a fascinating look at the data channels generated by the radar, see this video: https://vid.me/CSnw

·
Registered
6 Posts
1. Sport mode makes the pedal more sensitive, if you drive in sport mode lighter than you do in normal mode there wouldn't be a difference, but then why are you in sport mode? If you drive with the same exact acceleration it won't make a difference, but that's very hard to do.

2. I get them from time to time, so I'm going with yes. It goes off frequently if I don't break while I drive around someone making a turn (I don't think that's false), and I've had a couple times it went off due to oncoming traffic (or something, I had a few with straight level roads and three open lanes and it went off, I think it was raining though) or it picking stuff up in other lanes on turns.

3. I believe so, I don't test it for obvious reasons.

4. It judging by the performance of ACC on the highways here, it appears to me at least that the camera is directing the radar what car to look at (there are turns where clearly the car in front of me is in a different lane, and it does not false detect that car)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts