GM Volt Forum banner

241 - 260 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
New to the forum here and looking to buy my first Volt in the very near future. I run a used car dealership in Oklahoma, but am not here to sell anything lol. My main focus is getting a good Volt for my girlfriend to drive back and forth to work to save mileage and fuel costs from driving her SUV. I don't mind buying one with some damage because my car lot specializes in rebuilding ICE vehicles, so repairing a Volt doesn't scare me in the slightest. Anyway, I will be posting more interesting topics and asking questions in the future. I'm glad I found this sight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Greetings. My girlfriend was in the market for a new (to her) car. Coming from an '07 Prius. I read about the Volt and it sounded like a great choice. We picked up a 2017 with 20k miles and ACC. She is loving it so far. I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum and will be doing a lot more. Kind of a bummer that noobs cannot see links in people's signatures until they have 10 posts. Seems like in the beginning we should be doing more reading than posting, but oh well. Thank you to everyone who contributes here and makes this site such a valuable resource!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought a 2017 Volt Premier (grey exterior, black interior) three weeks ago. But it's been in the shop for two of those weeks so far.

Traded in a 2012 BMW 3-series, as well as sold a Honda S2000 in the last year in prep for the Volt purchase. We decided that we wouldn't buy another ICE vehicle going forward, thus the Volt purchase. As a trained atmospheric scientist, I felt it was more than time I set more of an example about caring for.. you know... the planet that is enveloped by that atmosphere. We also came to the conclusion that EV technology had matured enough to at least as dependable as an ICE vehicle (in no small part from what I learned of a family friend who worked forever at EPRI).

Purely electric doesn't work for us so far. My partner works in an area almost devoid of any EV charging stations, which gave her pause. Not entirely pleased to *still* be using a dirty gas engine with our new purchase. But feeling like we have done more than our part on that by buying a used vehicle instead of a new one, we moved on from that practical concern.

It has been a very rocky start to owning our Volt. On my very first commute home, the Volt lost all propulsion at 65mph on a busy freeway. Been driving over 30 years... never had a car die on me while driving it, but especially not at highway speeds on a crowded freeway. Very concerning... and beyond angering.

Local dealer replaced what they said were front speed sensors in hopes of fixing that issue. No issues with propulsion loss... but on the very first drive with the Volt back, it wouldn't take a charge from any charger, either mine or various 240v chargers around town. So back to the dealer after having it back for all of... eight miles.

Almost two weeks later, I finally have the Volt back (again). This time, something about my charger being bad, the charging port on the Volt itself was bad. They replaced both under warranty. But these weren't the problems that held up getting the car back so long. I noted there was a clanging coming from inside the rear window interior trim. I suggested it was problem something simple, like a bolt coming undone. Nope... a broken solder of some sort, needs new entire rear glass to fix, which they need to source and order. Almost two weeks of that and I told them to just give me the car back, I'll deal with the new glass later.

So now, after a total of about 100 miles driving my Volt, minus the above issues I'm pretty impressed. Very quiet cabin, everything feels pretty solid, and (hate to say this) but it does *not* have what I expected of the Chevy's I have driven as rentals (just feeling, looking, and seeming really cheap). Handles well, acceleration is more than acceptable.

I'm an IT guy, I love tech. But even I have not been relishing diving into learning all the options and controls on the Volt. I feel a bit overwhelmed, seems like there are options or controls for too many things. But then again... I'm getting old and generally more crotchety in life as it is..... So that could be it.

So there it is. But I have to say, if I had the ability to reverse my purchase *at this moment*, I would. Losing all power on the freeway... that should *never, ever* happen. I've driven so many different vehicles and miles in my life... the Volt was the first time in my life. Totally disconcerting,... and scary as f***.

I do not have any confidence to take the Volt on a road trip yet, for example. But my hope and expectation going forward, the car will win my trust.

And until GM fixes the 'shift to park' issue, it is *not* a vehicle I can recommend to anyone else. Someone is going to get killed unless/until they do.

--

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

New here but I have been a proud owner of a 2013 Blue Chevy Volt. It has been really reliable and has saved me a lot of $$$$ on gas.

Just last week it seems like the heat in EV mode stopped working. Thinking that it would be covered under the Voltec warranty, I took it to the local dealership. The have since done the diagnostics and determined that it the auxiliary coolant pump has failed. Unfortunately they are not willing to cover the cost under the voltec warranty, stating that it is a separate pump that is not part of the voltec system. I then proceeded to try to tell them that the pump also does work for the voltec system. This did not go anywhere with them, they just kept repeating the same thing.

What should be my next step?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello,

I bought a 2013 Volt this morning. Might be in need of some help along the way and appreciate in advance what anyone can offer.

Have run into a problem right off the bat that I posted a thread about already, but guess I will mention here also:

Got the Volt home and plugged it in and got an "Unable to Charge" message. Not a great start!

It's in a detached garage. Maybe there isn't enough voltage coming through the outlet or something? I don't know. I'm not well-versed in these things. I know the outlet works (had a refrigerator plugged into it before plugging in the Volt) and have Charge level set to 8 amps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New 1st Time Owner - 2012 Chevy Volt Premier

Hi!

I just got my first Volt and I am very happy! I was able to get a very well taken care of 2012 Volt with 120K miles in great condition. So already fully satisfied!

Got it from a local small vendor of Electric/Hybrid only vehicles called Clean Fuels Utah.

I wandered upon mine doing some searching for mostly a truck but kept finding dealer listings were the product didn't quite match the description. Had already reviewed the Chevy Volt, from driving one while out searching for a truck, and driving home went past Clean Fuels Utah and decided to just check it out.

This one was $1500 less and sounded way better (I think the one i drove at the other shop had the regen bearing issue I've read about but its gas engine sounded louder too) plus the Premier! It has a super sweet dual tone interior and in the back seats as well, not just the front. The Mother of Pearl Iridescence paint job is so sheik in the sun! The dealer threw in a Level 2 Charger for free too!

I am so happy! I love my Volt Premier! Everyone who gets in it likes it more than their own and one of my friends drives a Mercedes... he is a big guy and was surprised how much more interior space the seats gave versus his 80K ride!

Anyhow... Glad to be a new member here! Ill post some pics once I am allowed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Howdy folks.

My family bought a well used but super clean 2013 Volt a couple weeks ago, to replace a totaled 2006 Prius. The main reason we were shopping for a Volt is that we had a hybrid/HOV lane plate that hasn’t been available for years but could be transferred to a qualifying vehicle. You could get the plates for any hybrid when they were new, but they narrowed it down to only plug-in hybrids only partway through the program. The Volt is the most common and least expensive option for transferring the plate, so that’s what we shopped for.

It had over 130K miles on it, but was one owner and came with a binder containing receipts for everything ever done to from day one. It also came with a matching wheel spare and a car cover. I really wanted a private sale, but there weren’t any in our time window and paying all the extra dealer stuff costs isn’t that bad when you’re well under $10K. The only “issues“ that I found with it in the time we’ve had it is that it has a marginal headlight bulb, So I’m replacing both of them. It’s also missing one of the bumpers on the corner of the hatch, so I’ll pick that up along with the bulbs and a tube of touch up paint at the dealer sometime soon.

We also have a Fiat 500e, so that’s where all my EV experience is from. We love the Fiat, and considered getting a second one of those (plus 2 of them will almost fit in a single car parking space ;^) In the end, we wanted something that could be driven on road trips since none of our other cars are particularly good for that. I was surprised at how slowly the Volt charges on at ChargePoint L2 station, but the battery isn’t that big so that’s OK. OTOH, 120v changing at 12a seems pretty quick. So far we have mostly managed to keep both of them charged using just the regular garage current, but I expect a L2 charger is in the relatively near future.

That’s about all I can think of for an intro. I believe my car has relatively high ICE miles, I don’t see how you could get to 132,000 miles without it. Here are a couple pictures of the displays, please let me know what you think. I am guessing that Trip B has never been reset since the car was new, and maybe it maxes out at 99,999.9 miles?
E7AA4068-6943-42E4-BA56-E1B3DEA80527.jpg F9F2D4B3-08DA-4EDB-9BB0-529AC246298D.jpg

Thanks, Doug

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All
Just jumped to the EV side. Seeing the Volt was in it's last Year I wanted to get one before they were no longer available, bought a New 2019 before they were gone. Absolutely enjoy the vehicle so far with the range extender engine as I travel for work and in Texas hotels with EV charging are sparse. I can also say compared to My 2017 GMC Denalli 2500 I had a little while back, the quality and refinements are far better on the Volt than the truck I used to own. Hope to help others when i can in the future here and learn from others. BK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Took a new job back in Sept and the commute is just under 75 mi round trip. Decided my Tahoe's 13.5 MPG wasn't gonna cut it, so I bought a 2012 Volt this past Friday. Have averaged about 50 MPG on my commute so far so I really can't complain about that. I'm happy I found an active forum and look forward to exchanging info and knowledge here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all.

First off, I think I am not following orders to introduce myself, I do not own a volt or bolt.

But, I am a 28yr on job tech, have just turned 45, working full time and going to a really nice school here in quebec.

What I do may interest this forum, so is fixing EV's ok with forum rules even if I don't own one?

Also, I am french, 20200123_110259[1].jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone. I just bought a Volt last weekend, 2017 with only 16k miles. This is our first EV experience, had been considering a Leaf for a while, but knew the Volt would be better for our family and where we live/drive.

This forum has been helpful in researching before making the purchase, and now that I have I wanted to say thanks and post as an owner. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello hello, I'm getting a 17 Premier with 80k on it next Wednesday. I am selling a Tesla Model S because the car payment was too high, I had a Leaf before and the range was too low. I figure the Volt will be a nice middle ground of range and price. I'm looking forward to see how far I can get out of a full charge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Dirk here. Just purchased a 2014 Volt from a Chevrolet dealership. 110 000 kms , one-owner with full service history. Many thanks to this forum for all the info I needed to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there, I'm Jeff. I just bought myself a 2011 Chevy Volt (Premium) with 91109 miles on it. I enjoy driving it and love the fact that I can drive it 25 miles or more on battery alone. It's very responsive, smooth and very comfortable to ride. The driver and main display makes the front seat feel like spaceship..

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, just picked up a 2012 with just over 80k. Got it on tuesday, did my first repair on Friday (replaced heater core).
Other than that issue, it has been great so far. Already been referring to this forum for information.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello, long time reader and new owner of 2017 volt LT. It has 32k miles. I have been talking about this car to everyone i know for 5 years..now finally an owner. Cant believe they wont be making these anymore. Thanks everyone for all the info on this site...awesome!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi — new 2012 owner (white diamond paint) for two weeks + two days in SW Florida.
I had some trepidation about buying electric, but it seems to be working great. Purchased from a “car nut” — but he somehow damaged the charge cord and wrapped it in electrical tape — not disclosed!

One short tech question — what should my radiator surge cap look like when removed? It appears my cap’s body has separated from the top in photo. Please advise.

D2C4E40A-8462-4CF3-8282-70CB2922D9C4.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm a new comer and will happily be part of the forum. As english is not my native langage I might be a bit shy, but love all the information I found on this forum.

See you soon

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got a used 2017 LT with leather seats, 51,000 miles and a good service history (1 owner end of lease). Can't figure how the used dealer managed to rack up 500 miles from what the milage was listed first online (50,450). But a mechnc said it was a great car and everything looks well taken care of and clean. Good carfax.

Came out pretty reasonable with a turn in your junker $7500 rebate. Its our first non gas only car. So i will likely be learning alot through forum searches. Only bummer is we have to wait for the rebate funder to "approve" rubber stamp the purchase which could take up to 6-8 weeks. So it stays at the dealer in a private storage lot until then. But its worth it for the more than 50% off :)

Hope there won't be any harm to the battery sitting that long as they do not plug it in, they only plug in the full electrics not hybrids.

241 - 260 of 268 Posts