GM Volt Forum banner

221 - 240 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all! I bought a 2017 Volt Premier with 14k last month. I briefly had a Gen 1 last year. I drive 70 miles round trip to work 5 days a week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
New to the forum but not to Volt's. Had a 2014 for a 3-year lease followed by a 2017 for another 3-year lease.

This last Tuesday, I purchased a 2019 because of all the great rebates it had on them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We got our 2013 Volt in February of 2019. Currently looking for others experiencing a Cruise Control problem. Ours will intermittently show the white "on" symbol, but nothing else. The "set" switch does nothing. Cancelling cruise control with either button intermittently works. Is the only sensor located on the center of the dash?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone! I just purchased a 2017 Premier with 45k miles. Pick it up this weekend. Have an appointment with electrician in a week to get an estimate on installing my level 2 EVSE outside.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Volters, Bolters, and Sparkies,
Looking at salvage Volts or Bolts to rebuild and use the extra pack for other projects. After taking over my Dad's '14 [email protected], we are really loving no gas 99% of the time, but looking for something with more range one way or another.

I also have a Clipper Creek EVSE LCS20 similar to the gen 1 Volt OEM EVSE, which I discovered I can add a switch for selectable charging speeds, thanks to the discussions here. My LCS20 seems to do a faster '25' amp speed, which is workable if handle & cord assembly are swapped to 12 gauge cable (stock [email protected] EVSE has, but really only needs 14ga so I swapped the cables).

Dale

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hello Volters, Bolters, and Sparkies,
Looking at salvage Volts or Bolts to rebuild and use the extra pack for other projects. After taking over my Dad's '14 [email protected], we are really loving no gas 99% of the time, but looking for something with more range one way or another.

I also have a Clipper Creek EVSE LCS20 similar to the gen 1 Volt OEM EVSE, which I discovered I can add a switch for selectable charging speeds, thanks to the discussions here. My LCS20 seems to do a faster '25' amp speed, which is workable if handle & cord assembly are swapped to 12 gauge cable (stock [email protected] EVSE has, but really only needs 14ga so I swapped the cables).

Dale
You MUST be a Doctor Who fan...surely? !! ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi - I purchased my 2014 Volt this spring. Do you know if the 2014 Volt can charge with DC fast charge? I know the hookup needs to be the right one, but wondering if there is anything about the 2014 MY that would restrict the use of the fast charge technology.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
You will never see DC fast charging on any battery pack size less than ~24kwh. The Gen 1 Leaf batteries started at around this capacity but we are 10 years past those designs. Today's electric vehicles have battery packs of 60kWh to 100kWh; some of these will support DC fast charging at up to 350kW but most are still limited to 150kW maximum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, Belgian Opel Ampera owner since 10 month
I Was bring here multiple time by the Facebook group.

I am here looking for other user experience and sharing mine on mods, repair, diy,...

Sorry If I make spelling misstake as you would assume, English is not my first language.

Greeting.

Vincent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello to all. This looks like the place to be for Volt owners. I JUST bought a 2017 with 35 k . It was a company lease and honestly i dont think it was ever charged. Only driven as a hybrid. Im curious what everyone is seeing on their ev gauge after a full charge. Im only seeing 41 sometimes as low as 37. But when i drive it will stay on any random number say 21 miles for sometimes 7 to 8 actuall miles. There is no way with 37k and 2 years this Batt is on its way out. I have lithium LiPo Life experience with other smaller aplications and if taken care of they last. Im getting about 40 to 45 all elec miles but keep in mind its been in the 20s here and low teens at night . so lots of seat heat and heat in general. I also drive mostly at night ..
Basically im looking for someone to say relax its fine its just this or that.
Or did i get scammed and am looking at buying a 5k battery in the next few months. That would be the normal story for me.
Thanks Dave.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If you are getting in the 40+ miles range with lots of heat and cold temps you are probably fine. You can go into the energy display and see how much climate control (heat) takes in the winter. Some cold days it is as much as driving. I go from the low 60s in the summer to the mid40s in the winter. Sounds like your battery probably hasn’t been cycled too much anyway so you’re probably fine. These batteries with their extensive buffers on both ends and the thermal protection are pretty robust.

By the way, the range mileage gauge is just a guesstimate and it depends on what you’ve been doing most immediately in the drive regarding the car. It gives your projection of how long it’ll last based on that, so that’s pretty useless as a gauge, but if you were actually getting over 40 miles with a lot of heat, you’re probably fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Hello to all. This looks like the place to be for Volt owners. I JUST bought a 2017 with 35 k . It was a company lease and honestly i dont think it was ever charged. Only driven as a hybrid. Im curious what everyone is seeing on their ev gauge after a full charge. Im only seeing 41 sometimes as low as 37. But when i drive it will stay on any random number say 21 miles for sometimes 7 to 8 actuall miles. There is no way with 37k and 2 years this Batt is on its way out. I have lithium LiPo Life experience with other smaller aplications and if taken care of they last. Im getting about 40 to 45 all elec miles but keep in mind its been in the 20s here and low teens at night . so lots of seat heat and heat in general. I also drive mostly at night ..
Basically im looking for someone to say relax its fine its just this or that.
Or did i get scammed and am looking at buying a 5k battery in the next few months. That would be the normal story for me.
Thanks Dave.
Your Volt is probably fine; check the fluid levels, especially the (3) coolant overflow tanks. Use only GM DexCool premix coolant specifically formulated for hybrid vehicles. Have the dealer apply any needed software updates. Keep tire pressure ~40 PSI +/- 2PSI. Always plug in the Volt when parked at home and work (if available); precondition the cabin while plugged in to conserve battery power while warming up the cabin. Level 2 charging at 240V enables preconditioning while simultaneously recharging without much loss of range from using the electric heat.

In winter you can have electric range or you can be warm but rarely both. 44 miles of estimated EV range can easily become 25 miles of EV range when you use the electric heat. Use the seat heaters and the steering wheel heater (if equipped) as these use very little power, can keep you warm but you will need to wear a coat, hat and gloves while driving in cold weather without relying on the electric heat.

Engine Assist Heat will use a bit of gas to warm up the cabin when the Volt is started anytime the outside air temperature drops below 35F or below 15F (when set to Deferred.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Exactly what i wanted to hear thanks so much for quick responses. I figured the "gauge" was not an exact put out. As i am at times getting well over 40 miles EV. Good tips with the climate control i wont even need gloves due to a heated steering wheel. Not such a silly option now.. I would have guessed that heated seats and such would suck way more juice than the fan and heat.. Ill give your suggestions a go for sure.
I gave it an oil change and checked all fluids everything is good there.. The dealer did the oil but didnt reset lifespan so i did my own change i wanted a certain brand oil and filter any way.. So far ive had the car for 5 weeks work is 21 miles away and there is a charge point at work. Ive put a total of 8 dollars in the tank just to keep it full. Since i left the dealer. Big difference from rhe 04 1500 ram i was driving to work. About 120 a week different. Looking foward to learning all the ins and outs of the volt and seeing what i can fix and cant. I tend to go deep before i give up i wonder if i have met my match.
Thanks again
Happy Holidays
Merry Christmas
Dave

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
The dealer did the oil but didnt reset lifespan so i did my own change i wanted a certain brand oil and filter any way.. So far ive had the car for 5 weeks work is 21 miles away and there is a charge point at work. Ive put a total of 8 dollars in the tank just to keep it full.
Dave
You don't need to keep the tank full, especially with your driving situation. You only need a 1/4 tank as probably suggested in owner's manual. No sense dragging around that extra weight. You just need some for the 6 week engine maintenance run (if you don't use engine) and you have to burn off year old gas anyway (automatically does that). The gas tank is pressurized to prevent the lighter components from evaporating to help it from getting stale.

I keep mine around 1/4 full, only use gas once a month (my driving situation) and put about $10 in once a month (the amount I use). Fill the tank if you are going on an extended trip, otherwise there's no point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That makes sense i didnt know those things about the fuel management. Its a bit scary how much "thinking" this thing actually does. I never put the ( what is it 8 lbs per gallon) Into the equation.
I can't quite figure why the ev range display is showing only 39 to 41 miles after a full charge but i am definitely getting more than that.
Thanks so much for the help.
Dave

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
That makes sense i didnt know those things about the fuel management. Its a bit scary how much "thinking" this thing actually does. I never put the ( what is it 8 lbs per gallon) Into the equation.
I can't quite figure why the ev range display is showing only 39 to 41 miles after a full charge but i am definitely getting more than that.
Thanks so much for the help.
Dave
The Volt calculates the estimated EV range using your recent driving history, climate control settings, elevation change and outside air temperature. If you drive the same route on your weekday commute, except for traffic variations and road conditions the only variable will be the temperature. Your range will be affected up to ~25% by colder temperatures even before accounting for the use of any climate control.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Volt LT
15 Posts
Hello all from south cali. I just bought my '17 CPO Volt LT with 33K miles in Heather Gray. The only option that came on the car was heated seats and steering wheel which feels really nice on our relatively chilly mornings. The reason I got the Volt was due to my niece letting me drive hers a few months ago and I couldn't get it out of my mind. I've driven (not owned) some fancy cars like the MB 600, Ferrari 430, BMW, Jaguar XJ8(owned) but this EV is so much smoother and the 100% torque from zero makes is so addictive. I love the low gear, mountain mode and regen paddle and not having to use the brakes much or wearing out the transmission and engine with high revs in an ICE motor. That's the way I usually drive when coming down a mountain using the transmission and engine to govern my speed versus wearing the brakes. I've also driven the Prius which is too slow and not fun at all. I think the only reason people buy the Prius is due to the higher gas mileage when in hybrid mode but don't know that the Volt with the higher EV mileage can yield higher mpg figures if you drive more than the EV range of the Prius, while having more fun driving it! I have a lot to learn about the Volt and looking forward to reading all your comments in this forum. Sorry for the longish post and you can probably guess I am excited about this EV!

221 - 240 of 268 Posts