GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to job change, I'm going from 6 mile commute each way to 60. That world kill my lease miles. So traded in on a 2016 Volt LT with 26k miles and it's a CPO. $20,500 plus tax and doc fees. They paid of my outstanding lease aeny of $268. It's a CA vehicle with the 10y/150k warranty.
In still waiting to see if they can get me the 240v home cable. They gave me a second 120v cable for now. Suggestions for buying a 240 cable for home at a reasonable price?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
There are many choices: ClipperCreek, Juicebox, Chargepoint and Duosida to name a few.

You only need a 20 amp rated EVSE (will be capable of delivering up to 16 amps @ 240V) to charge your 2016 Volt at the maximum charging rate. I find the ClipperCreek LCS-20 to be all the Level 2 EVSE I'll ever need to charge my Volt at home. Made in the USA, excellent customer service should you have any questions, 3-year warranty. No extra bells such as WiFi connectivity or even a power gauge but those additional things just add to the cost and don't charge your Volt any faster or more reliably.

If you can charge at work as well as at home you will be able to drive almost gas free. At highway speeds, especially in winter, if you stay in the slow lane you can get 50 miles of range on the battery. You may be able to use as little as 1/2 gallon of gas for ~20 miles of your 120 mile round trip, the rest of the commute on battery.

·
Administrator
21,042 Posts
There may be some for sale in the For Sale forum

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Suggestions for buying a 240 cable for home at a reasonable price?
AmazingE, $219. It's virtually identical to the EVSE Chevy gives you, presumably both made by ClipperCreek, but it has a 240v pigtail, instead of the 120v pigtail on the Volt EVSE.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
AmazingE, $219. It's virtually identical to the EVSE Chevy gives you, presumably both made by ClipperCreek, but it has a 240v pigtail, instead of the 120v pigtail on the Volt EVSE.
I believe that both the current original equipment (OE) EVSE that is included with every new Chevrolet Volt and Bolt vehicle uses a circuit board manufactured by ClipperCreek. The OE EVSE is assembled by Delphi, a GM company. The AmazingE also uses a circuit board manufactured by ClipperCreek but the rest of the AmazingE EVSE is assembled off shore (China.)

One detail that is often overlooked is the length of the charging cord from the EVSE housing to the J1772 connector. On some less expensive EVSE the charging cord is no more than 16 feet long. For maximum reach and use you want an EVSE with a charging cord of 24 - 25 feet. So if you see an EVSE that costs a little more, the length of the charging cord may be part of the reason for the higher cost.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Too bad, I was hoping it was made in Cali by Clipper Creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I'm using Quick Charge Power, made in San Diego for $200 since May. Seems well made, plugged into a 240V 20amp circuit with twist lock plugs. Comes with pigtail but the twist lock on the cord was better for my application. Don't know how long the cord is but outlet is inside, I park outside and the cord goes out the door across the front of car to other side with plenty left over. When it's cold and dry I have 1x3" boards go across the bottom of door so I can charge it and/or keep it plugged in for precondition with the garage door closed without pinching the cord.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do not see the android auto or apple car play, was this available in 2016 or can it be added via software update?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I do not see the android auto or apple car play, was this available in 2016 or can it be added via software update?
Apple CarPlay was available on the 2016 Volt. You need to plug in your iPhone via a USB cable into one of the two USB/charging ports located in the storage area underneath the center console, enable CarPlay on your phone. Android Auto required the dealer to apply a software update.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apple CarPlay was available on the 2016 Volt. You need to plug in your iPhone via a USB cable into one of the two USB/charging ports located in the storage area underneath the center console, enable CarPlay on your phone. Android Auto required the dealer to apply a software update.
Thanks I will have them do that as I use android. cheers

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Customer and warranty support is from ClipperCreek, according to the article about it at insideevs.com. The article says, it's "Made in USA", but I'm not completely sure, since if it were made in the USA, you'd think they'd advertise it; although the testimonials at their website all say, it's made in America.

Too bad, I was hoping it was made in Cali by Clipper Creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Customer and warranty support is from ClipperCreek, according to the article about it at insideevs.com. The article says, it's "Made in USA", but I'm not completely sure, since if it were made in the USA, you'd think they'd advertise it; although the testimonials at their website all say, it's made in America.
It is too bad the length of the charging cable on the AmazingE EVSE is only 20 feet. The 25 foot length on the ClipperCreek EVSE can make the difference in reaching the charge port.

The testimonial page includes one entry that states that the AmazingE is assembled by Delphi, made in the USA.

The FAQ page states that the AmazingE EVSE is made by the same company that manufactures the EVSE for the Bolt, so that would be Delphi (using a ClipperCreek circuit board)

I can't tell from the AmazingE website of their EVSE is made in the USA or not because they don't state this outright.

The warranty is 18 months, half of the OE EVSE covered under the B2B warranty on the Volt or Bolt and also the 3-year warranty that ClipperCreek provides for their EVSE.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This vehicle got totaled last month from what was basically "minor" body damage. So this is the end of my Volt Adventure. Had about 64k miles on it. Was a great car. Boo issues while I owned it and lined the torque and acceleration of the Electric motors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts