GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I just replaced my 2007 Prius with a 2017 Volt. I bought it while visiting my daughter in Chester, VA and now I have to figure out a way to get it home to Long Island, where I live. The current plan is to post the Prius on Craigslist in the Richmond area and try to sell it when I drive it down to pick up the Volt. I'm really anxious to pick it up but it will be a couple of weeks before I can make the trip. I'll be here soaking up all the info I can and hope to post my experiences when I've gotten used to the new wheels.
Joe B.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The dealer might still give you something for it as a trade-in. Or, take it to a CarMax and see what their offer is to buy it. That usually is better than the dealer's offer, and they don't hassle you one bit (and it's pretty quick).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer might still give you something for it as a trade-in. Or, take it to a CarMax and see what their offer is to buy it. That usually is better than the dealer's offer, and they don't hassle you one bit (and it's pretty quick).
Thanks snorth. I've gotten one response from Craigslist, so I'm still hoping to go that route. If I can't sell it I'll let my Grandsons bring it north for me when they come up for Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks snorth. I've gotten one response from Craigslist, so I'm still hoping to go that route. If I can't sell it I'll let my Grandsons bring it north for me when they come up for Thanksgiving.
Another possibility is to donate your old car to a charity of your choice. You'll be able to write off its fair market value on your taxes. That what I did with my 2002 Passat wagon when I picked up my 2017 Volt in April, here in the Boston area. I just learned today that it was refurbished and donated to a needy family. A win-win deal.

Bruce

·
Registered
902 Posts
You lose a transaction fee by trading to a dealer, but miss a lot of the hassles of trying to sell a vehicle. I traded my 2007 Prius for a 2013 Volt. I had an offer for $9,000 that collapsed, so took $7,000 from a small lot dealer. My justification is that my Prius saved me so many thousands of dollars during its lifetime that I could have given it away and won on the deal. I felt guilty over paying $13,000 for a Premium almost-new vehicle, but have a new lifetime of cheap, reliable transportation that is environmentally responsible and a source of inspiration for all of those people driving gas-guzzlers around me. I offer test drives at work to anyone willing to try an electric car. So far, no conversions, but I keep trying.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I wish you luck on craigslist -- I've sold a vehicle there before (2014 Ram 1500 4x4) but I did have to wade through quite a bit of BS emails, low ballers, scammers, and tire kickers. Sprinkle in the fact that John Q Public via craigslist is usually pretty uneducated when it comes to cars or financing. I had people asking if I'd be able to finance it from them when it's clearly a private party sale.

Not sure of your state tax rules, but here in TX at least, if you trade in to the dealer, your purchase price taxable amount goes down by the amount they give you for a trade. Buy a $25k car, trade in a car worth $10k, and you are only paying taxes on $15k, that's an instant in your pocket savings of 625 dollars (based on our tax rate here)

Everyone loves getting top dollar of course, but my patience for dealing with craigslist weirdos is very thin, for the hours/days/weeks you have to field calls and emails, it's worth it to some people to just take the $1000 hit in price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts