GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just purchased a 2015 Volt. I'm trying to find a cargo cover for it...something cheaper than the GM factory option. Can anyone recommend an option?

Are backup cameras standard features? Ours doesn't seem to have one, or it isn't working. Where would the backup camera be so I can look to see if it has one?

·
Administrator
19,984 Posts
The cloth cargo cover is standard with the car. It comes self-folded into it's own small pocket about the size of a postcard. Maybe it's in the trunk under the cargo cover.

The rear camera is not standard. Look for a small, black fish-eye lens above the rear license plate.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Also if you want something more substantial than the default volt loin cloth, check out the VoltScreen made by one of the forum members. I'd give you my volt loin cloth, except I already donated it to some other forum member in FL. Maybe another voltscreen owner will be kind enough to give you theirs?

·
Registered
13,556 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The GM factory option is free... not sure what could be cheaper. Some people don't like the cloth because it doesn't isolate sound and heat as well as a solid shelf, but my view was always that it's function was to keep prying eyes from seeing what was in my hatch area.

Keith

PS: I took my cloth cargo cover out of my totaled Volt if you need one cheap... but you should have gotten one with the car and can make a stink at the dealership if they left it out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's used some things are presumably missing. Can a backup camera be added?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PS: I took my cloth cargo cover out of my totaled Volt if you need one cheap... but you should have gotten one with the car and can make a stink at the dealership if they left it out.
I might be interested. Contact me. I think they're $60 from GM. I think that's robbery. I might just see some shock cord into some fabric and make my own.

·
Registered
208 Posts
We just purchased a 2015 Volt. I'm trying to find a cargo cover for it...something cheaper than the GM factory option. Can anyone recommend an option?

Are backup cameras standard features? Ours doesn't seem to have one, or it isn't working. Where would the backup camera be so I can look to see if it has one?
if your volt doesn't have sensors in the bumpers, both front and rear,you didn't get the backup camera option.
most likely you have a base 2015 volt and not the volt premium model

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
It's used some things are presumably missing. Can a backup camera be added?
Yes there is a thread with details about installation. You have to take the head unit out of the center stack and send it out for programming.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't think the base volts had the wiring harness extended for the optional camera or the sensors for the collision equipment
and the foreward collision camera is mounted behind the rearview mirror, and that is factory installed only

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I don't think the base volts had the wiring harness extended for the optional camera or the sensors for the collision equipment
and the foreward collision camera is mounted behind the rearview mirror, and that is factory installed only
True, you have to run wire from the head unit to the rear of the car for the camera. And you have to have the head unit reprogrammed. Havent done it myself but there is a thread on the forum with complete instructions. Review them yourself and see if it will work for you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I watched a video showing the installation process. I don't see that happening in my future. He basically gutted the car from from truck to dashboard to thread the wire.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The cloth cargo cover is standard with the car. It comes self-folded into it's own small pocket about the size of a postcard. Maybe it's in the trunk under the cargo cover.

The rear camera is not standard. Look for a small, black fish-eye lens above the rear license plate.
Correct. GM part number for the Gen 1 (2011-2015) OEM cargo cover is 20837113. Pricey on ebay as well.

1. Best bet, lift up the rear cover to expose the air pump, etc. It may still be there folded into a small square.
  2. Call local salvage yards.
  3. Check ebay listing selling parts from wrecked Volts. They are likely to one to sell.
Third party VoltShelf - http://voltshelf.weebly.com/voltshelf-features.html
Keep in mind, if you frequently haul items taller than the shelf allows, this can be a real hassle to remove and re-install frequently.

Good Luck:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually ordered a VoltShelf that was off-spec for a decent price and it should be delivered any day now. It actually costs more than the factory cloth doodad, but it is also has significantly more functionality. I also got the grill guards too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I actually ordered a VoltShelf that was off-spec for a decent price and it should be delivered any day now. It actually costs more than the factory cloth doodad, but it is also has significantly more functionality. I also got the grill guards too.
Well, I hope you like it when it gets there, Ztirffritz! And Joe67, the VoltShelf comes down in a snap if you need to carry larger items. Goes back up just as quickly. That really is a non-issue. When you figure it out, it takes 5-10 seconds, depending on the exact model and mounting you have it set up with.

Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts