GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2017 volt LT last Friday. I noticed this morning that my full charge EV is 72. How does that reconcile with the Volt spec of 53? Is my EV telling me I could travel 72 miles on my battery charge?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Absolutely maybe. It's an estimate only. Depending on conditions your mileage will vary. System modifies the estimate based on driving history.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I just got my 2017 volt LT last Friday. I noticed this morning that my full charge EV is 72. How does that reconcile with the Volt spec of 53? Is my EV telling me I could travel 72 miles on my battery charge?
It is telling you that if you drive your Volt under the exact same circumstances (using the exact same technique..ie, speed, and climate controls) as driven before, then yes, you can expect 72 miles; however, it is all based on your previous driving(s)...it is a guess -o-meter based on assumptions.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Driving style, driving conditions, speed, and temperature all affect how the "guess o-meter" tells you what your range will be.

Mine is constantly at 60 and I am getting 60 because of the way I drive it.

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
So if your commute is well within the 53 mile EPA estimate, I recommend you drive it like you stole it, have some fun, and don't worry about torpedo-ing the guessometer. And if your commute is beyond the 53 mile EPA estimate, I still recommend you drive it like you stole it, have some fun, and don't worry about torpedo-ing the guessometer.

I spent 2 years driving my g1 like a grandpa, now I drive it like a jackrabbit taking on any and all pony cars and ricer boys. My lifetime MPG dropped from 95 to 70 MPG, which still blows away any Prius.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
The full-charge, start of day ev range estimate uses a computer algorithm that evaluates the car’s accumulated historical driving data (some cars have more than one driver), with emphasis on the most recent driving done on battery power, to calculate an ev mileage figure, then multiplies it by the available full charge useable power (~14.1 kWh for the Gen 2 Volt).

IOW, if you been driving only ~20 miles a day and driving at slower speeds and staying on level terrain, etc., and the end of day energy display screen shows only 4 kWh Used to drive that far, the computer might take that 5 miles / kWh mileage figure, multiply it by the full charge useable power, and give you a full charge ev range estimate of 72 ev miles.

Driving 72 miles instead of 20 usually involves more portions of higher driving speeds and differing terrain and weather conditions, all of which make it harder to maintain that 5 mi/kWh mileage rate that produced the 72 mile estimate until the battery is depleted, but many Volt owners do!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
One other item to note, your tire pressure will also impact your estimated range. Many of us tend to overinflate our tires beyond the 38psi (gen 1 spec, gen 2 may be different). I personally run about 42-44 psi. Higher pressure can give better range. Make sure your tires can accommodate the higher pressure though. Most are able to handle 51psi cold.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you keep driving under the same conditions and using the same driving style, you'll get the 72 miles or very close to it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
In-town driving usually results in higher estimated range. EV's are much more efficient in stop and go traffic than ICE cars. My 2014 will guess 53 miles, yet its EPA estimate is only 38. The EPA tests are a mix of in-town and highway.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Volt/ELR has too much data. Some like it, but, it gets old after a while to squeeze out max range.

After over four years, I just drive. 40AER and 80mpg lifetime. Good enough.

·
8,680 Posts
Volt/ELR has too much data. Some like it, but, it gets old after a while to squeeze out max range.

After over four years, I just drive. 40AER and 80mpg lifetime. Good enough.
You were always free to ignore the information. :)

This is the gamification aspect - a study a couple decades ago determined that the most effective fuel savings device a manufacturer could add was an average fuel economy gauge that the driver can always see.

Various approaches have been tried over the years since that study, like Ford's growing leaves. GM didn't force a game on you, but they did ensure that you see the consequences of your actions in the process of giving you the most accurate range they could.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
You were always free to ignore the information. :)
Kind of tough to do with it always in your face. Even shutdown displays data about the current charge energy usage.

For me, distance-to-empty = useful. Instant-mpg = irrelevant.

One funny thing about mpg. A financial app I use (Mint) thinks I don't drive very much because I don't buy a lot of gas. They therefore suggest that I can get better insurance rates for low-mileage.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
All great responses to your question. If you want to see the impact on that number, take a drive on your local freeway and go WOT a few times. That 72 number will fall like a rock. The most I have seen on my 2017 is 70 and that was during SEVERAL very conservative driving sessions under PERFECT conditions.

Hard to replicate that day in day out, so don't be surprised when the number drops to 60 or even 50 miles.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
EPA changed their cycles to reflect more "real world" aggressive driving and heavy A/C use for 2017, the 2016 Volt reported 2017 EPA number most likely because the didn't want to confuse folks to why the 2016 has better metrics than the 2017+ Volts...Nice weather and no AC surely helps all vehicles, the biggest factor whether a Volt or a Hellcat is driving behavior...The Volt has the green ball, if you press the accelerator beyond 15% (can vary if on an include/decline and outside temps) that green ball goes off the charts and you're no longer efficient...Drive a hellcat without pushing the accelerator beyond 15% and you'll also most likely exceed the EPA's numbers by at least 20%...

·
4,866 Posts
When a traditional vehicle says it gets 35 mpg, that is an estimate. The same is true for the Volt's range estimate. It can be better or worse than 53 miles based on all the same factors that affect a traditional vehicle's MPG.

Enjoy your new Volt and congrats!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Now with summer temps, here summer temps are 60 F, now as I type this its 53 F, not quite summer but our indicated electric range right now on our 2016 Volt is 66 miles. I'm sure later this year we will see 70 miles of electric range. Gas range on a full tank usually indicates 380 or more, combined for both is somewhere from 410-450 miles indicated as total range.

Gas range and electric range both vary based on past driving, as a rule, summer more, winter less.....

·
Registered
695 Posts
As others have already stated, the range is an estimate, and it is based on an algorithm that looks at your historical driving efficiency for maybe the past 200 or 300 miles (I don't know the specifics of the algorithm).

In the winter, my range typically indicates 55 to 60 miles. In cold weather, the Volt is less efficient, not to mention that you may use some of your battery's energy for heating and defrost. Myself, when it gets real cold, I use HOLD mode and let the waste heat from the engine provide the heat and defrost.

Now that it is getting warmer, my range typically indicates 70 to 80 miles. But I do more rural/urban driving at slower speeds. Last night I went to pick up my son from his high school (they had an evening music/dance performance). It was about 65 F, indicated range was 74 miles, and there was little traffic. I was able to drive between 30 and 45 mph on the various roadways and back again. When I returned home I had gone 12.5 miles on 2.1 kWh of electricity. The indicated fuel mileage for the trip was 174 MPGe.

If I make continued trips like this one, with time, my estimated range will increase to the low 80's.

So there are no guarantees that you will achieve this estimated range (as mentioned, drive aggressively or at high speeds, and all this changes). However, it does demonstrate just how efficient the Volt can be, especially in slower speed driving situations.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts