GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Name's Manny, and I just signed off on a 2013 Cyber Grey Chevrolet Volt. Along with checking in on this forum periodically, I will be logging my time with my Volt in the months and years to come on GMAuthority.com, where I write. I'm a SE Michigan resident and you can usually find me at the local car meets on a Friday night.

I joined this forum in an effort to better understand my new car, and to connect with fellow Volt owners. And immediately, I am reaching out to all of you to see if you can give me advice on an insurance company that has a reasonable rate for Volts. Currently, I'm paying $200 a month. I'm about to turn 25 and my record is clean. Should I see that figure as absurd? Or is that pretty standard fare? Thanks in advance! Cheers!

Also, who has nicknamed their car?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Welcome aboard! There's a great owners group on Facebook as well - https://www.facebook.com/groups/chevyvoltowners/

My Allstate policy is reasonably priced, but I'm much older and have multiple policies under Allstate which also reduces the cost of my car insurance.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Hello all,

Name's Manny, and I just signed off on a 2013 Cyber Grey Chevrolet Volt. Along with checking in on this forum periodically, I will be logging my time with my Volt in the months and years to come on GMAuthority.com, where I write. I'm a SE Michigan resident and you can usually find me at the local car meets on a Friday night.

I joined this forum in an effort to better understand my new car, and to connect with fellow Volt owners. And immediately, I am reaching out to all of you to see if you can give me advice on an insurance company that has a reasonable rate for Volts. Currently, I'm paying $200 a month. I'm about to turn 25 and my record is clean. Should I see that figure as absurd? Or is that pretty standard fare? Thanks in advance! Cheers!

Also, who has nicknamed their car?
Insurance has so many different parameters they consider...age, driving record, credit score, region of the country, actual location of car, etcetera...and if you've bundled it with your home owner or renter's insurance...your claim history...etal...so it is difficult to tell...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
707 Posts
I work for an insurance company, here is what is getting you.

Under 25
Metro Detroit.

Best advice I can give you - shop around. Find the company that will give you the lowest rate ON THE COVERAGE YOU NEED.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I was also under 25 when I first leased my Volt. Just switching from my parents insurance to my own policy dropped my rate. Metro Detroit may have higher rates than here in NH, but you're still paying more than twice what I am.
I have Liberty Mutual for both Home and Car, but definitely shop around!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
And it should go down on your upcoming parameter, hitting 25. Usually thats a first drop for males anyway...then you gotta get married...oh then....yep so many parameters as someone said above...wow 200 a month. I better not complain about my soon to be 60 bucks a month...

·
Registered
182 Posts
When I traded my BMW 3 series my insurance with Farmers stayed the same. I recently switched to Allstate because Farmers tried to gouge me on my homeowners policy and the auto part was just a bit higher, maybe $50 for 6 months.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As others have said, there are lots of factors at play. I personally have been using esurance.com for years and pay about $100/month for my '13 Volt AND a '99 Honda Civic both total with $250 deductibles and full coverage. I'm married, over 25, and live in Arizona so our situations are different. Only claim I've ever made on it was literally the day after I switched insurance to esurance.com when the Civic was broken into. I truly expected a big hassle (anyone would be dubious of a claim on day 2) and they really couldn't have handled it any better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts