GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, Marty here in Illinois. Last week I picked up my 2013 Volt with 103k miles. I cannot believe what these cars can be had for these days. My take on it is that there are people that are afraid of the unknown with this technology and afraid to buy one with miles on it. Especially with the warranty up. That and with the Bolt's larger electric range perhaps gives it competition (I personally think the Volt's styling is the best).

The color is iridescent pearl and it has the Comfort Package (heated front seats, leather wrapped steering wheel), Premium trim (leather, rear armrest), and Enhanced Safety Packages 1 and 2 (rear park asst, rearview cam, auto-dimming mirror), front park asst, lane departure and collision warning, and also a cargo net. If I understand correctly the only options I don't have are Bose and NAV. My ONLY complaint is that the former owner (1 owner) chose Suede inserts on the seats and doors. Looks nice on the doors but so hard to keep clean on the seats! The leather is really nice, wish he would have stuck with that all around.

I buy foreclosures so I'm not afraid of calculated risk. I negotiated an insane deal on the car and took a chance. I just had the car inspected at my Chevy Dealer and the only thing found was a slightly loose stabilizer bar link ($12 part). This car is tight, no rattles or noises anywhere, wow.
I have already changed the oil and the spark plugs (plugs looked perfect!) and will be doing my tranny fluid next.
On my very first day after a charge I achieved 46 miles all electric. Made me very happy! Everything else works perfectly so far. As of today 380 miles and 1.4 gallons of gas.

My other vehicle is a Ford F-150 Raptor (13mpg) so this was a no-brainer for me!!! I truly believe this is one of the best vehicles for the money on the market today and at the used prices they really are a steal. I'm happy to be a part of this forum as I prefer to avoid the Dealer whenever possible.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I would have the battery TMS coolant changed and unless you can verify the age of the 12V battery I'd do a pre-emptive strike on that. for about $100 it's peace of mind.

Welcome to the family

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Congrats!

We bought a new 2013. Everybody liked the car, but it left for college. So we picked up a 2016, and it was even nicer. That went to another kid. So we needed another car. We picked up a 2017. Total issues have been an early heater replacement on the 2013, 3 flat tires, and low battery coolant on the 2013. Everybody likes the Volts in the family.

They have now come out with self-sealing tires, and I'm putting a set on the 2017 for testing this week. This is perhaps the most significant issue with the Volts. The LRR tires pick up nails like magnets.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcomes and the great tips. One factor that really helped in my decision with the higher miles was that this was a one owner that had it Dealer serviced the whole way. And the battery was replaced by the Dealer about 2 years ago, so I figure I am good for some time. Brakes are at 8mm all around. Fluids look like new and levels were right. Planning to to follow the 5yrs/150k miles on that along with brake fluid. I like to work on my cars, and I feel like I am already running out of things to do on the Volt, ha!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Congrats, and welcome! Indeed I think you are right, there are a lot of car buyers out there who fear the unknown with this car, but it's not really a case of unknown, as much as uninformed. I'm confident in the engineering of the car and the battery, and I think the Volt is simply one of the best values on the used car lot today. Safety, economy, and features simply can't be beat for the price.

·
Registered
35 Posts
>>Hi all, Marty here in Illinois. Last week I picked up my 2013 Volt with 103k miles. I cannot believe what these cars can be had for these days<<

Marty, congratulations. Can you share what price you did pay for the 2013?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Marty,
Welcome enjoy your volt and keep us informed of your higher mileage experiences.
You made a smart move, especially finding one with a fresh battery pack.

·
Registered
48 Posts
>>Hi all, Marty here in Illinois. Last week I picked up my 2013 Volt with 103k miles. I cannot believe what these cars can be had for these days<<

Marty, congratulations. Can you share what price you did pay for the 2013?
+1, I'd like to know too :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I paid $9300. For me, miles were just a small part of the equation. Condition, owners, service history, options, etc. I probably could have found one with half the miles for $2k-$2500 more, but this fits my needs, and it was near me so I didn't have to arrange shipping. There are a couple of 2011's on Ebay for $9k-$9200 that I would go for if I didn't find my 2013. There is a 2012 just listed on Ebay with less than 60k miles for $10k. I'd be all over that if it checked out. Let the first owner work through the initial problems, much of which covered under warranty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts