GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my 10yo Acura RSX was totaled in an accident, I went to my local dealer and bought a 2013 Volt - the only car I considered...this is day 3 and I'm so excited!! Such a cool car...it's super fun to drive, and I love being part of the EV revolution...it's the way of the future and the Volt is at the forefront. Still learning all of the features. Seems I have a lot to learn about the best way to drive...perusing the thread about D vs. L left me confused, so I'll have to do some research and experiment. I want to be able to max my battery life. I like manual transmission, but I'm digging this new way of driving. My accident definitely had a silver lining - I'm now a proud and happy Volt owner. And I'm pleased to join this forum of euphoric Volt enthusiasts.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Still learning all of the features. Seems I have a lot to learn about the best way to drive...perusing the thread about D vs. L left me confused, so I'll have to do some research and experiment. I want to be able to max my battery life.
I would say that driving in L in town is the best way to Max your battery. However, careful use of the brake pedal and a good coasting technique will yield similar results. I say if you want to be involved in the experience Manually use the brake and see what you come up with. L takes some of the work out of the drive, and makes it easier to just keep your foot on accelerator.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I only drive in 'D' when cruise is engaged. One pedal driving in 'L' is the way to go when in traffic.

I don't worry about maxing out energy use. Volt uses so little that it's already a trivial expense.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
D for cruise... L for local one pedal driving but be mindful of drivers behind you. I sometimes use L on cruise too. You will understand all the nuances in time. Enjoy your Volt!

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Another new Volt owner joins the fun. Welcome aboard. One way to beat the Volt's learning curve is to learn and master the THREE T's - Temperature, Terrain and Technique.

In any event the Volt will change the way you drive and think about cars and where and how we fuel them.

Drive safe my friend.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Welcome to the club! On the L vs. D difference, I really like the feel of Low in Sport mode, but I tend to burn more electrons. Lately I have been driving in D with no Sport Mode and trying to drive 2 or 3 blocks in front of the Volt, if that makes sense. The re-gen in L is pretty noticeable but it is only 70-75% efficient, I think. I seem to be getting close to 50 miles of AER if I accelerate up to 3 or 4 miles over the speed limit and then coast down to 3 miles less than the speed limit, repeating as necessary or until I coast into a stop light. In moderately heavy traffic I restrict the window a bit to more like 2 mph over down to 2 mph under and repeat as needed. It has turned driving the Volt into a different kind of game.
Just so you are up to speed on some of the free chargers in the area, the ones that I have found are the 4 (+ 3 nearby) at the Mom's Organic Grocery/Red Apron Deli in the Merriefield Mosaic District and the 2 in the Lee Harrison Harris Teeter garage in Arlington. I have been spending a lot more money at the stores near those 2 spots, so they are getting a return on their investment!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
And if you happen to visit Loudoun county, spend some time at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema at One Loudoun (located at Route 7/Loudoun Country Parkway intersection). Get some drinks and watch a movie while you get a free charge at one of the two GE Wattstation L2 chargers (mobile app or RFID card required - must signup).

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm jealous! I hope to be joining you my friend! I am picking up an overnight Volt loaner today from the dealer - they are letting me adopt it for the night to try it out with the family. I am very close to getting one myself - can't wait. I think I'm switching to RED now - looks so darn nice. My only question in the leather interior - which to choose? Cheers,

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I'm jealous! I hope to be joining you my friend! I am picking up an overnight Volt loaner today from the dealer - they are letting me adopt it for the night to try it out with the family. I am very close to getting one myself - can't wait. I think I'm switching to RED now - looks so darn nice. My only question in the leather interior - which to choose? Cheers,
Our 2012 is CRM

Our other car is a CRM CTS-V coupe

Love this color in the sun

I looks like a very high end Candy Apple Red from my hot rod days

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Ultimately, the most efficient way to drive is to drive at moderate speeds, and don't stop. You don't even have to stop for a red light if you slow down enough ahead of it. That may be harder in an area where there are more impatient drivers (northern Virginia comes to mind...). I think the Volt tends to make everyone a safer driver, because they often drive more gently to extend the electric range, and that's a good thing. D vs. L is a matter of personal preference mostly (passionate personal preference, as you may have seen from the threads). I heard GM has said recently that L gets a little more efficiency, but the differences are small.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Congrats on the car. Don't worry about how to drive it. You'll figure that out for yourself soon enough. What you'll really appreciate is how quiet and smooth it is, and .... how infrequently you go to the gas station now matter how you drive it!

3,600 Posts
After my 10yo Acura RSX was totaled in an accident, I went to my local dealer and bought a 2013 Volt - the only car I considered...this is day 3 and I'm so excited!! Such a cool car...it's super fun to drive, and I love being part of the EV revolution...it's the way of the future and the Volt is at the forefront. Still learning all of the features. Seems I have a lot to learn about the best way to drive...perusing the thread about D vs. L left me confused, so I'll have to do some research and experiment. I want to be able to max my battery life. I like manual transmission, but I'm digging this new way of driving. My accident definitely had a silver lining - I'm now a proud and happy Volt owner. And I'm pleased to join this forum of euphoric Volt enthusiasts.
Good Afternoon DianeT,

Glad to hear that you are okay after the accident! Also glad to hear your behind the wheel of a new Volt! Congrats & Welcome to the Chevrolet EV Family! You will have a Volt Advisor! If you could PM me the last 8 of your VIN and the best way for you to be reached, I will have them contact you! :cool:

Happy Driving!

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service

1 - 12 of 12 Posts