GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now looking forward to getting my Volt, it is now ordered, I just have to wait. I am in Canada so I think I will be buying mags and winter tires to install right away. I will have to wait until May to remove them to really see what the car will give me for mileage. The car is as loaded as can be, black and I will get ceramic tints done.

I drive 23 miles round trip daily, 5 to 10 of the miles will be at speeds of about 45 to 50 miles and hour.

I am very confident that even in winter with temperatures below zero Fahrenheit and rocking winter tires I will not be using any gas. Am I crazy or does that make sense?

How is the upgraded stereo? Any good? Will I have to modify anything or add a sub?

Thanks everyone, looking forward to contributing.

·
8,680 Posts
You'll use gas. With temps that low, the car turns the engine on to provide cabin heat. If you set it to comfort, that can be a single ~2 minute run near the start of your commute. From the sound of it, you'll probably have electric range to cover your drive, aside from ERDTLT.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Welcome. Not much you'll "hvae" to mode, though there are plenty of thread where people did more cosmetic mods.

If you want to minimize gas, make sure you set the config option to very cold, which will allow you to run in battery-only mode down to 15F/-10C. Below that you'll get engine running due to low temp and will use .07 or so gallons on each start. And if its that cold then you should use "Comfort" on the climate as it reduces the frequency of restarts for cold temps.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Congrats in advance!

You'll no doubt use some gas but it likely won't be much. People have said the Volt does quite well in snow and ice and, during one web chat, the GM folks suggested it was the tires. So you might want to get the Volt and give it a go before getting new tires (but yeah, for ice nothing beats studs). You'll have to keep us posted about that.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
You can save some gas if you have a 240 volt EVSE installed and use the pre-condition feature to warm up the car interior before you leave in the morning. (That way your car is cozy & warm before you leave the garage.)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Welcome to the Volt club!

When did you order your Volt?

I am from Canada too (Ontario). I ordered mine Oct. 17 and I got a phone call from GM early this week and they told me the Target Production Week is for Nov. 26. So I do not expect to get it before early December so 7 to 8 weeks after the order.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can save some gas if you have a 240 volt EVSE installed and use the pre-condition feature to warm up the car interior before you leave in the morning. (That way your car is cozy & warm before you leave the garage.)
I will have the EVSE installed in the next week or two. My garage is rarely below ten Celsius even if the outside temps are minus twenty Celsius.

I would guess that while it is plugged in it draws power from the house?

Other good news, this new Volt is lower insurance than my last car!!! I will save 16 bucks a month, so much of my electric bill is now covered!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the Volt club!

When did you order your Volt?

I am from Canada too (Ontario). I ordered mine Oct. 17 and I got a phone call from GM early this week and they told me the Target Production Week is for Nov. 26. So I do not expect to get it before early December so 7 to 8 weeks after the order.
From what I could tell, the sales guys had no clue...in fact, once I made the purchase the emails dried up...I had a few questions for them today, no response. I will give them another day to answer. I want to know what info I need to track my order.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts