GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up my new Volt today and well this Michigan weather is very very cold...

My question to everyone is how do you lower the engine temp so that in cold weather the gas engine wont kick on only the battery will start?

Thanks

Mike!!

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
It's selectable in the Config Menu. I'm at work and don't have access to my Owner's Manual but I recall it's under the Comfort and Convenience category, and then you select the Engine Assisted Heating option, there you will be able to select the 35 or 15 degree setting. To activate any setting change up must shut down the car and restart it.

I'm sure that about 90% right, but someone with access to an Owners Manual will chime with any additional info.

·
Registered
269 Posts
That is covered under the Vehicle Personalization section of the Owner’s Manual Starting on Page 5-53. That particular topic covered on page 5-57.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is covered under the Vehicle Personalization section of the Owner’s Manual Starting on Page 5-53. That particular topic covered on page 5-57.
Thank you!!

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I'm picking up my new Volt today and well this Michigan weather is very very cold...

My question to everyone is how do you lower the engine temp so that in cold weather the gas engine wont kick on only the battery will start?

Thanks

Mike!!
Congratulations on getting a Volt. press the "config" spot on the center stack, then touch on screen "vehicle settings", "climate and air quality", "Engine assisted heating" "at very cold outside temperatures". you need to shut down and restart for this to be the active setting.

you really should take the time to read through your manual once you have it, there are hundreds of similar tidbits of information that you will want to know.

oh yes, there is lots of discussion of this. I leave mine set at "very cold" (14degrees F turn on) for most short drives, but if I am going to use the whole charge anyway and keep driving on a longer trip , then I change it to "cold" and let the engine assisted heating keep the cabin warm from the very start. The car is very efficient at moving forward on electricity, but for cabin heat, you get better combined efficiency to save your electricity for motive power and use the gas generator engine for cabin heat. If you never drive more that 25 miles on a charge, then use your electric heat. This morning I drove 36 miles in 19 degree weather on electric by not using electric heat, that's only comfortable if you let the gas engine do the heating for you....

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Nevermind--Paulacton84 covered it.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I forgot--which dealer are you getting it from?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Congratulations on getting a Volt. press the "config" spot on the center stack, then touch on screen "vehicle settings", "climate and air quality", "Engine assisted heating" "at very cold outside temperatures". you need to shut down and restart for this to be the active setting.

you really should take the time to read through your manual once you have it, there are hundreds of similar tidbits of information that you will want to know.

oh yes, there is lots of discussion of this. I leave mine set at "very cold" (14degrees F turn on) for most short drives, but if I am going to use the whole charge anyway and keep driving on a longer trip , then I change it to "cold" and let the engine assisted heating keep the cabin warm from the very start. The car is very efficient at moving forward on electricity, but for cabin heat, you get better combined efficiency to save your electricity for motive power and use the gas generator engine for cabin heat. If you never drive more that 25 miles on a charge, then use your electric heat. This morning I drove 36 miles in 19 degree weather on electric by not using electric heat, that's only comfortable if you let the gas engine do the heating for you....
FWIW, looking at our shared weather forecast he's going to have very cold ERDTT every morning thru next Monday and every afternoon except today thru Friday regardless.

This is the coldest I remember, to be sure.

We're going below zero on Thursday night.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Mike, Just to add, once the external temp is below 15F, the gas engine will come on at startup. The config just allows you to set the ERDTLT to 15F.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
he hasn't even picked up the car yet...
That's pretty quick. Usually OCD over a cup of gasoline happens after they have the car.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Except for the option mentioned in post #2, there isn't any way because..............
The engine runs not only to keep YOU warm but to warm the main battery too, which temporarily looses a lot of it's capacity when it is really cold.
Beyond the standard options, don't mess with it. You will be sorry if you do.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Except for the option mentioned in post #2, there isn't any way because..............
The engine runs not only to keep YOU warm but to warm the main battery too, which temporarily looses a lot of it's capacity when it is really cold.
Beyond the standard options, don't mess with it. You will be sorry if you do.
We're assuming for the meantime that he's only looking to lower the ERDTT temperature thru the vehicle configuration menu.

I'll point one thing out before someone else jumps on it--the engine has no means to warm the battery. The most it will do (in extreme cold) is run protect the battery from excess current flow by running the engine to help with propulsion.

·
Registered
2013 Diamond White
379 Posts
Mike, Hi!
Congratulations on your new Volt. You are going to love it.
Another thing, if you are changing on 120 v as I am, you must configure charging rate to 8 or 12amp every time before you plug in as the default is 8 amp. 12 amp is shorter cycle time if your electric system is capable. This, too is in the manual but really only became aware from reading this forum. I was like set it (once) and forget it. What does your dad drive?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Not that it matters a great deal but the battery has its own heater. The engine is just for cabin heating.

Not that I have any firsthand experience. Thankfully!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mike, Hi!
Congratulations on your new Volt. You are going to love it.
Another thing, if you are changing on 120 v as I am, you must configure charging rate to 8 or 12amp every time before you plug in as the default is 8 amp. 12 amp is shorter cycle time if your electric system is capable. This, too is in the manual but really only became aware from reading this forum. I was like set it (once) and forget it. What does your dad drive?
Thank you!

Yea I actually found it on this site also, just really sucks that it defaults to 8 amp I really wish it would go with the higher amp but I think they made it for people that don't have that support in their breaker box which is understandable...

So far after 2 days of driving I'm totally crazy over the car... I really have never loved a car so much as I do with the Volt... Having the cold weather this morning and tomorrow will really push the limits of the battery and I will get to see how bad things will be right off the bat in the winter... Really excites me for the Spring/Summer/Fall to get great millage!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Not that it matters a great deal but the battery has its own heater. The engine is just for cabin heating.
Just a slight matter of a different perspective here.......
Unless it is plugged in at the time, there is a limit to how much the battery can "heat itself", right ??
And at some point, the ICE would need to run to supply the power to do the heating, right ??
Maybe that's an extreme example that might never happen in normal use.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Just a slight matter of a different perspective here.......
Unless it is plugged in at the time, there is a limit to how much the battery can "heat itself", right ??
And at some point, the ICE would need to run to supply the power to do the heating, right ??
Maybe that's an extreme example that might never happen in normal use.
There are some who have believed that the battery cooling loop is somehow connected to the engine coolant.

We're just trying to kill that misconception before it revives.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts