GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I bought my new Volt a couple of weeks ago. It has been great so far. The only complaint I have is the claimed 53 miles per charge. At full charge it reads 44 miles ev miles per charge and that has been about right. I guess it will get 53 miles if you are driving down Pikes Peak or something riding the hand charger the whole way. I hate it when companies claim one thing and deliver something short of that.

I was a little hesitant to buy GM. My last GM vehicle was a Pontiac 6000 in the 90s and everything that could possibly break broke. Then got a job as a test driver for GM for four years at the Desert Proving Grounds in Mesa AZ. We put their cars and trucks through the wringer doing durability testing for the most part. I have driven Nissan PUs for the past 20 years or so because they are inexpensive and are very durable.

I decided the next vehicle I was going to own was going to get great gas mileage and went back and forth between mostly the Prius and the Volt. I was waiting for the new designed Volt and the new designed Prius to come out before deciding. The Prius performed great but, I just couldn't get over the dorky looks and hoped the new design would make it look not so dorky. It still looks dorky. The new 2016 Volts came out and I decided I wanted it. Then of course it was not available in my state so I put off buying another year. Finally the 2017 just became available in AZ and I bought one decked out.

I used the supplied 110 charger for the first two weeks. It charges the Volt in 17 hours from a dead battery. 17 hours is way too long. I finally got a Bosch 30 watt 220 charger and it charges in about 4-5 hours which is much better.

I'm still trying to figure out all the bells and whistles. One thing is the regenerative braking pedal on the steering wheel. I have tried to brake with just that at times. With regular brakes you apply the pressure you need to slow the car down the desired slow rate. With the hand brake its on or off and one pressure only meaning if you don't time it just right you can slow down too early and have to let off to get to the desired stopping point but, when you let off the car kind of jerks forward again and then you have to hit the brake again after you let up to start slowing again. It's something you start to get the timing down on after awhile but a little weird. I wonder just how much that adds back to the battery. I also wonder if I am supposed to be using the regular brakes along with it. I don't know if applying the hand regenerative braking lights up the brake lights. If they don't then I am slowing down and not alerting other drivers.

Too long a first post and probably stuff you all have heard adores of times already. I will try to check out some of the other posts and get caught up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome!
I am also a new owner of a 2013 Volt and new member here who lives in Goodyear, AZ! Most of the questions you have are found here by looking around.
One thing I will comment on is the miles the computer computes and the actual realized miles. As you use the Volt it will become aware of your driving style and compute accordingly. Of course the Temperature and such will affect the mileage also. The brake lights do not come on when you are using regenerative braking. The creep that occurs after you let up on the paddle is built in to the system to mimic the gas engine cars. I guess that was seeveral things, but what the hey!

Carlsyle

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
The brake lights do not come on when you are using regenerative braking.
Carlsyle
I think that you are referring to when driving in "L" instead of "D" and you are correct that the brake lights do not come on when using "L" to slow down in the Gen 1 Volts. But, the brake pedal also uses regenerative braking and of course the brake lights do come on with the foot pedal use.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Welcome, Nodack! Actually, most of your questions are ones answered around here (I know because I've only owned for a month and posted here with your same questions). Regen paddle does indeed engage the brake lights. I had the same complaint regarding on/off nature of it, but I found that pumping it can work better for gradual slow down.

The EVSE that comes with the Volt now is actually capable of supporting 240v charging, but you have to get an appropriate adapter and have a 240v outlet.

The EV range is an ESTIMATE only, based on your past and current driving style and patterns. Mine was pretty low when I first got my car because I did a good deal of interstate driving, but since then I've done my normal back-road commute, and the EV range has gone as high as 71 miles. This car is most efficient UNDER 50 mph, and is probably the most efficient around 35* mph. Regen braking can reclaim some battery charge, but it is more efficient to coast if you think you will get back up to speed without having to stop. This is because regen still has energy loss, so better not to lose the energy you've already invested in your speed if you can avoid it.

I'd say it's way too early to blame the manufacturer for under-delivering on the promised EV range. Drive it for a bit and see what happens. In the Driver Information Center (DIC) of the main console, view the energy category, and scroll to the right until you see your grades for driving style, terrain, climate, etc. That will clue you in on where you might be able to improve. Some people increase their tire PSI to 40, as well.

*unofficial figure based on what I've read around this forum.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I think that you are referring to when driving in "L" instead of "D" and you are correct that the brake lights do not come on when using "L" to slow down in the Gen 1 Volts. But, the brake pedal also uses regenerative braking and of course the brake lights do come on with the foot pedal use.
OP talked about the "regenerative braking pedal on the steering wheel", which means Gen 2. Gen 2 WOULD light up the brake light from that, if the regen got above it's deceleration G threshold, which might not always happen. (Probably won't tooling around a parking lot, probably will slowing from 40.)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
OP talked about the "regenerative braking pedal on the steering wheel", which means Gen 2. Gen 2 WOULD light up the brake light from that, if the regen got above it's deceleration G threshold, which might not always happen. (Probably won't tooling around a parking lot, probably will slowing from 40.)
I was replying to Carlsyle's reply to the OP.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Many posts to the forum have covered mileage claims. I own a 2013 Volt with less battery capacity than your vehicle, yet routinely get 42 to 50 miles from a charge. Operator habits are more likely to give lower than estimated all-electric range than shortcomings of the Volt. You probably will not get 50 MPG from a Prius, either. However, I was usually in the 48 to 55 MPG range when I had a 2008 Prius.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, there is a lot to learn about your gen 2 volt. I have had mine for over 2 months and have 6k miles on it. I always get a charge of 62 miles and end up as high as 67 at end of day. Your driving style will determine your distance. If you are now using your ac than take about 6-8 miles of range off. The more you use your regenative paddle the higher your mpge will be which translates to longer ev range. I love my volt and being in sales and doing about 100 miles a day , it is saving me over $200.00 a month in gas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys

Thanks for the feedback guys. I live right off the freeway and do mostly freeway miles which I know aren't best for electric mileage. I also have had the car for a short time and have been having a little too much fun with the quiet but quick acceleration, which also isn't good for mileage.

I was also a little worried about the cargo space to begin with. I am a musician and have been using 3 generations of Nissan PUs for the past several decades and was worried the Volt wouldn't hold my equipment but it does hold quite a bit. I didn't want to scratch up the cargo area so I laid thick carpet down in the back and also velcroed speaker cover carpet to the sides of the cargo area to protect it from scratches over time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts